MCG Pro X Axis jumping, cant fix it

Moderator: AdminGroup

6nfanatic

MCG Pro X Axis jumping, cant fix it

Postby 6nfanatic » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:29

Hi,
since almost like a year i have troubles with my MCG Pro. The X Axis is jumping alot. I tried to flash it multiple times without success, i eben disambled it and checked for issues but couldnt find any. Please help, i dont wanna buy a new Stick, i hoped to have the VKB last quite a bit longer.
Its reflashed, calibrated like 100x. Didnt changed a thing at all. I guess it must be hardware related. Made a video:

https://youtu.be/O0NXdzL9csc

Thanks

skarekrow

Re: MCG Pro X Axis jumping, cant fix it

Postby skarekrow » Sat Sep 03, 2022 17:34

Hey 6nfanatic,

I'm wondering if this could be due to something like posted here.
http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4100

I'm sure someone here can definitely help with this, hang in there.

---Cheers---

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 20:23

As @skarekrow has indicated, this is most probably a wire issue. Open up the base and check if the wires are sitting tight in the JST connectors. Also, make sure the gimbal is not pulling on the cables when moving. If not sure, post some pictures.

6nfanatic

Postby 6nfanatic » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:39

Hi,
i opened it, for me it seems to be all good. I moved the gimbal to all the ends but theres no tension on any of the cables:

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 20:35

Plug the base to USB and try to slowly move with your fingers around the plugs that 4 wires cable showing in your picture. Does this gets reflected on the tester?

6nfanatic

Postby 6nfanatic » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:45

Hi,
i tried this. If i wooble on the connectors or cables, it doesnt jump.
Strangely when i move the head of the gimbal (without the joystick or baseplate) the jumping doesnt occur at all?!

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 19:16

The pitch and roll sensors are located inside the base, so the issue will be found somewhere in there. Take the gimbal out of the case, see if there's any metal debris attached to the magnet.
But I would try those wires again, some similar issues in the past pointed that way.

6nfanatic

Postby 6nfanatic » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:43

Hello,

since the issue didnt occur with the open base anymore, i tried it with the stick and yeah - its gone..

Assembled everything and flew a mission in DCS yesterday. And the issue is gone?!

Hope it stays like this. I didnt changed anything.

Cheers

6nfanatic

Postby 6nfanatic » Sun Apr 16, 2023 17:05

Hello,

the issue still is there. When i open the base its fixed for a couple of weeks, then its coming back.
I tried wiggle the cables but nothing there. Its really a shame. I was satisfied with the quality but yea. I have a squadron mate who had the exact same issue. He now switched to winwing since hes was fed up with the sheninganis from the vkb.

Anyway, is there any new insight or common issues i can check? Would a upgrade to mk3 help?
Thanks

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:58

If the magnet is clean and the sensor board is firmly attached by its screws, then the only other possible cause of the issue is the wires. Since the electronics upgrade kit will replace all the boards and wires inside the base (except for the 3 wires coming from the base connector, which are not related to the current issue - otherwise you would also see the other main axis jittering), the issue should be fixed.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:05

6nfanatic wrote:Hello,

the issue still is there. When i open the base its fixed for a couple of weeks, then its coming back.
I tried wiggle the cables but nothing there. Its really a shame. I was satisfied with the quality but yea. I have a squadron mate who had the exact same issue. He now switched to winwing since hes was fed up with the sheninganis from the vkb.

Anyway, is there any new insight or common issues i can check? Would a upgrade to mk3 help?
Thanks

Never did see a reply in this thread that you tried cleaning the magnet. Did you?

Only mention because I had similar experience to you a long time ago. After a good cleaning, it has never recurred....
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5805&p=50163#p50163
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

6nfanatic

Postby 6nfanatic » Sat Apr 22, 2023 15:21

Hey, i dont cleaned them in particular. I will have a look at that. Thanks.

Upgrade to MK3 is out of stock. Im might order that then..

6nfanatic

Postby 6nfanatic » Mon Apr 24, 2023 20:32

Hi, i disassembled it today but the magnet looked clean. I gave it a clean and a blow anyway but it didnt do good. X Axis is still jumping. Really the stick is not what i hoped it would be for that amount of money ;/

IMG_0494.JPG

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Apr 29, 2023 20:40

Ahh, bummer. I was really hoping I could help. It was pretty subtle in my case, just some black grains maybe a bit bigger than dust, but could barely feel with a finger. I used a cotton ball with a little isopropyl wetting it to rub them off, so I could see they were caught in the cotton (as magnetic, they kind of wanted to stay on the magnet). Also made sure to clean the back of the circuitboard that sits right over the magnet.

I'm almost out of ideas to help you and am sorry. I know you've been thru whether all the cables appear to be tugging, and couldn't make the axis wiggle show up by manipulating them either from your prior posts. That's the only other thing that SHOULD be able to do anything.

So my very LAST idea, could it be a faulty sensor board? With the stick out of the housing, sensor board re-attached and all cables attached, if you try and just 'wiggle' the board a little, I don't know, push on it a bit, twist a little at the board edges, put a bit of pressure on the face over the magnet - can you make the response jump around?
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

mmtaraval

Postby mmtaraval » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:53

I've had the same issue for the last 2 years - opening the base, disconnecting/reconnecting the x-axis wires, solves the issue for a couple of days. Also, just using the joystick seems to self-resolve in 20-30 minutes. Honestly, for $400 this is a pretty bad experience after having the stick for only 3 years with 3-4 hours usage a week. Was thinking of getting the upgrade kit, but also thinking of going with Vpil sticks the next round.

Return to “Technical Support”