Can anyone plz walk me through calibrating my new sticks?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Billy

Can anyone plz walk me through calibrating my new sticks?

Postby Billy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:03

Hey all. I'm not computer literate at 72 years old. I just received the Gladiator GNX EVO Omni Throttle: GNX EVO Omni Throttle SCG Left Premium, and the Gladiator NXT EVO Grip: SCG Premium Right stick. I managed to put them together but for the life of me, I can't understand how to calibrate them. I tried looking at many Youtube videos, as well as the PDF instruction manual, and still, I'm doing something wrong. I can get to the boot loader, only I don't know what I should do from there. I'm not understanding it. Can anyone please advise me where I can find a video that takes me step by step by hand and teach me what to do? I'm failing miserably, and I'm embarrassed because I really hardly ever do things on the computer. I bought this system because my grandson wants to place space games, only I'm really stuck. Thanks a bunch.

fallout9

Re: Can anyone plz walk me through calibrating my new sticks?

Postby fallout9 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:31

Hi Billy, don't worry the process is pretty easy and you have to do it only couple of times per year (if that). You don't need the bootloader, as the units came are flashed by factory to the latest firmware. Here we go:
1. Download the latest configurator, unzip it and run it as Admin;
2. It is advisable at this point to leave only 1 joystick plugged to USB to avoid confusion;
3. Select the device at the top of VKBDevCfg (in the bluish window), then click mouse on the large, square Default button under the Tools tab;
4. After the joystick restarts select it again at the top, then navigate to Global/External and press the large Find&AutoConfig in the middle of the window;
5. After joystick restarts press the large, square Start Calibr button under the Tools tab and move the joystick along pitch and roll, twist it, move the minithrottle on the base up and down, press the center button of the A1 ministick and when the red LED lights up on the head of the grip move the ministick all over. Move each axis along its whole range a few times slowly, without pushing at the end;
6. When done, press the End Calibr button and that's it, ready to map in game. You could safely unplug from USB now, as the calibration is saved internally and plug the other joystick in and do the same steps.

Also, this video guide might prove useful (watch from timestamp); it describes the same steps as above.

Good luck and please update the thread with any questions you might have.

Billy

Postby Billy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 17:48

Thanks a bunch. I'll try it, and let you know how it works out. This is the video that I'm currently using as a guide. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI00_0ogAa4 What do you think about this video?

Billy

Postby Billy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 18:06

I'm sorry but I'm stuck at #4 of your instructions. "After the joystick restarts select it again at the top, then navigate to Global/External and press the large Find&AutoConfig in the middle of the window;" Can you please tell me how to get to this point, because when I press on it again after the joystick restarts, There's no option large "Fing&Autoconfig." shown. A small window does pop up that says "Need to Calibrate controller" I found a tab at the bottom/left corner, of the calibration main window, called "Global" Then I press the "External Devices tab" Then I see 8 smaller windows with the #3 in the upper left corner of each window, and it says in each window "NXT Joker" Now, in the 1st of those windows in the left-hand corner, it shows a picture of a stick. Once I press on that box, an elongated window pops up which says "SCG communication errorlevel" IDK where to go from here. After I tried to calibrate the sticks, I had my grandson go into the game after trying to calibrate these sicks and according to him, he can operate the ship, only he can use ANY of his firing buttons. I went into the VK button tester and nothing works. It should be noted that the left-hand stick has a blue light on where the buttons are located but the right stick isn't lit up indicating I believe, that the buttons aren't working. OMG, I'm totally lost.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 0:15

If the joysticks are working properly they should have a blue light on between F1 and F3 buttons on the base and another blue light on the head of the grip. If any of these lights are off check if the joystick is properly connected to USB. Also, check the connections and wires inside the base. This guide shows how the grip should be installed on the base.

Billy

Postby Billy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:16

Thanks a bunch. The blue light is lit on the left stick throttle, and at the base between F1 and F3 as you indicated. The base portion of the right side blue light between F1 and F3 is lit, but not the upper portion of the actual grip portion of the stick. Both the right and left-hand grip/stick came preassembled and all I had to do is place them in the base piece which was very easy. I will however check the right stick further and take it apart to be sure something wasn't missed by the factory. Thank again.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:30

Yes, please check the one with no light on the grip. Make sure the 3 wires coming out of the grip and connecting to the base haven't been severed during installation. See again the guide I've linked for proper installation.
Keep me posted please.

Billy

Postby Billy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:01

Okay Mr. Fallout. I dismantled the upper portion of the stick and there it was. The connection clip {as in the lower base portion} was loosely fit. All I had to do in push on that pin, then I put it all back together, and BAM! It works like a champ. BTW, as I mentioned, the upper portion of the stick came preassembled, so it came from the factory like that. My grandson said to give you a special thanks, hell I give you a special thanks. I'm a retired 40-plus years butcher, and I know nothing about computers and I can't tell you how relieved I am, because I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown from this stuff. Anyway, I can't thank you enough for all your patients with this old timer. Thank you and God bless my friend. You take care. Eternally grateful, Billy Flynn.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:27

Great to hear it! Hope you and your grandson will have fun with them :) Please let me know if you'll have any more questions, I'd be glad to help!

Billy

Postby Billy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:37

Okay, young man. With today's technology, I envy you younger generation. I barely finished 10th grade when I started working as a butcher. You're going to enjoy so much in life, as will my grandchildren. Thanks a bunch. I gotta get off this computer or my grandson will have a fit. Tonight he's flying throughout Star citizen, the little monkey. Best wishes to you and your family. Remember family life only comes once so, savor it. Bye.

MJJWalsh

Postby MJJWalsh » Mon Aug 15, 2022 14:22

But that hasn't answered billy's question - or mine which is similar. I can't find ''Find&Autoconfig' button either! Where is it? How do you get it after pressing the 'Default' button?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 20:57

How about providing more info about your product MJJ?

MJJWalsh

Postby MJJWalsh » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:21

I have a Gladiator NXT and SEM. I have been trying to follow the YouTube video on software programming the SEM. I have the YouTube instructional video running side by side with my VKBDevCfg so I can follow it step by step - which is fine until the video says click on the 'Find&Autoconfig' button which doesn't appear anywhere on my version. How/where do I find it please?
Mike

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:55

Most probably your NXT has an older firmware which doesn't recognizes the modules. In order to bring it to the latest firmware please follow these steps:
1. Delete all VKB files from your hard drive;
2. Download the configurator;
3. Download the bootloader;
4. Download the attached firmware file;
5. Unzip all the 3 files in the same folder;
6. Launch the zBootloader file as admin, select your device from the lower half of the window and press Start Boot button;
7. After the device restarts in bootloader mode select the device from the lower half window, press the ... button, navigate to your VKB folder, load the _Gladiator_NXT_v2_11_5.vkb file and press the Flash It! button;
8. After the bootloader finishes the flashing process launch VKBDevCfg as Admin, select your device at the top of the window and click the Default button under Tools tab;
9. Navigate to Global/Devices/External Devices and press the Find&AutoConfig button;
10. Go to Test/Axes1 tab and click on the Start Calibr button;
11. Move your pitch, roll and yaw axes all the way, slowly at the end;
12. Move the mini-throttle up and down;
13. Press the A1 ministick center button and when the LED turns red move the ministick all over;
14. Press the End Calibr button.
If you want to add axes to your SEM you could find instructions on that in the tutorial.
Attachments
_Gladiator_NXT_v2_11_5.zip
(80.58 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

Return to “Technical Support”