Questions regarding customization of the MCG Ultimate Grip

Moderator: AdminGroup

Wikikomoto

Questions regarding customization of the MCG Ultimate Grip

Postby Wikikomoto » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:08

Hello. I'm interested in the MCG Ultimate Grip, but I really dislike the 4-way thumb-hat. I just want a simple, single button. The type found on the F-4 phantom stick for example. I noticed that SCG GF ‘Space Combat Grip’ has a replaceable thumb-axis, and that the "basic" non-premium version of that stick, comes standard with a simple button for the thumb. I was wondering, is it possible to replace the the thumb button on the MCG ultimate grip?

Thank you.

fallout9

Re: Questions regarding customization of the MCG Ultimate Grip

Postby fallout9 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:22

Unfortunately the thumb hat on MCG grips is not swappable.

Wikikomoto

Postby Wikikomoto » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:52

Thank you for the reply. And i'm just going to assume that there is no way to get a break lever onto the SCG GF ‘Space Combat Grip’ yes? I'm really at a loss as to which stick to purchase. It's crazy to me that so few sticks have a simple button for the thumb.

Does the F-14 stick have a depressible DLC lever? or is the wheel simply an axis with no push?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:23

The wheel has no push function, only an axis. It could get mapped to buttons through the software app though, could get assigned 1 or several buttons along that axis. The only joystick with a thumb button from our lineup would be the SCG Standard version.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Wed Aug 10, 2022 14:13

I know no one buys a stick new "hoping" to have to modify it, but it would probably be possible to devise a replacement hat for the thumbstick position that was more of a pure button-shape only (for 3D printing). That, plus just not mapping the other four presses in that position might provide what you ultimately wanted?

The comfort of that thumb hat to just resting the thumb there is fine to me, I don't think you'd dislike the feel that much even if you didn't want to use it for all actions. You could also in the software config set all 5 (4 ways plus press) physical buttons to the same single logical button number, so in game no matter what way you 'pressed' it, it was just a single possible mappable button action.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Wikikomoto

Postby Wikikomoto » Thu Aug 11, 2022 21:58

ahhh thank you for the reply. Currently I'm using the F-16 viper and F-18 hornet sticks by thrustmaster interchangeably. and thats actually how i have them set up right now. With all thumb inputs performing the same action. The problem is, this just doesn't feel good. I want a definitive button that I can press where my thumb naturally rests. I guess I'm trying to recapture the feeling of my first flight stick. I used to use the logitech G940 stick back over a decade ago, and I've never found a stick that's replicated that one's layout. It had the simple thumb-button, and the soviet style face button layout like the MCG ultimate has.

The sim I've put the most time into is by far the DCS MiG-21, And I'm trying to just find a stick that replicates that one in design. The MCG ultimate has the trim tab, and button layout I'm looking for, and the brake lever which is essential. But I'm desperate to find one that has a simple button where the thumb rests. As this is one of the primary buttons I use when flying the fishbed.

Having a hat there just does not give me the feeling I'm looking for, but as I've been searching for a suitable stick for so long, I'm absolutely willing to perform modifications if its possible to do so.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Aug 13, 2022 15:25

So, I didn't pull HARD as I don't want to damage mine, but the actual hat piece for the thumbrest position is in there pretty darn good. I don't know that it's just 'removable' from the exterior alone, possible need to split the grip to get it out and replace with something to be just a button. But does look like one could with some trial and error 3d print two half-rings to kind of 'wrap' it to prevent it from the lateral wiggle somewhat. As for making the top shape more just ...buttony?... I guess sugru or something could work to at least smooth over / fill the ridges some. I don't know how good it might look afterward though.

I'll go back to when they posted all the internals and try and look at some pictures...[EDIT] Nope, that shell outline doesn't cut thru this emplacement at all. That hat cover HAS to pull out somehow. There's no other way to install it I can imagine.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Return to “Technical Support”