New Gladiator NXT Evo & THQ Axis jitters and config issues

Moderator: AdminGroup

Old49r

New Gladiator NXT Evo & THQ Axis jitters and config issues

Postby Old49r » Sat Aug 06, 2022 20:29

So just got Gladiator NXT Evo Space combat premium and THQ. Build wet fine. Lot's of issues with Axis calibrations and jitters. Here is info on the Axis calibrations:

Axis X - Roll - Left stick works fine and centers at 32767, Right stick jitters bad and does not center, when stick is let go it ends at about 3340 but constant running through numbers + or - 150 or so.
Axis Y - Pitch - Down stick works fine and centers at 32767, Up stick vibrates/jitters, does not center - but stops about 3300 with some jittering.
Axis Z - Center Base Slider. works fine.
Rot X - Mini joy pressed - works fine
Rot Y - Mini joy pressed - works fine
Rot Z - Joy twist - Yaw - Works perfect
On THQ:
Slider 1 - works perfect
Slider 2 - works perfect
Slider 3 - config software does not see this one???
All buttons, mini joy and hat switches seem to work fine.

1. Why is joy stick twist configured on Rot Z instead of Axis Z like most sticks? Is there a way to swap them, probably doesn't really matter though, just an observation.

2. X & Y Axis jitters - I took out the gimble and looked at the magnet for X Axis - it was factory glued in and tilted very slightly - can not remove the magnet - reinstalled gimble - if it is not flush doesn't that cause the jittering? If so how can I get a replacement gimble? Seems like all the issues are with gimble.

3. How do I get the config software to see Slider 3 on THQ?

4. Axis Y might be same issue, but I did not look at that magnet under the printed circuit board.

5. Dry clutches don't seem to work well. Adjusters seems to spin then tighten down very fast. Feels like very small adjustment range?? Is this correct? The picture in VKB tutorial videos show adjustment screws in down, middle, and up positions. I can not replicate those adjustment settings. Adjuster screws are either firm ( tightened) or loose. Again, extremely small adjustment range.

6. This probably should have been place in Technical Support instead of General Discussion, sorry.

Thanks for you help.

fallout9

Re: New Gladiator NXT Evo & THQ Axis jitters and config issues

Postby fallout9 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 23:08

Is there a strong magnet or a wi-fi extender or a network router near the joystick? If there is, move them away and try again.
If you can't find the 9th axis of the unit it makes me think that you haven't checked yet the software set up and calibration. Please see if the jittering issues persists after following indicated steps.'
The way the software is labeling the axes won't be an issue if you bind them correctly in any game. Only really old games require certain labels on axes; you wouldn't be able to use your build in those games anyway, as there are too many axes and buttons and the joystick wouldn't get properly recognized.

Old49r

Postby Old49r » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:43

Thanks fallout9:

Yes, there was my router just 1.5 - 2 feet from the stick. Moved it so its about 4.5 feet away, PRESTO! It works prefect. Thanks a bunch for that info.

Much better stick than what I had before. I can actually aim, shoot and hit something now. Great sticks.

I'm thinking about getting the WWII THQ Grip (Add-On). Till then, how do I configure Slider 1 & 2 on the THQ with the software. Initially I built it with slider 1 & 2 combined with the accessories provided (sort of looks like a throttle), but couldn't figure out how to do the software config. They both moved differently in the config software. I'm sure I saw something on it in one of the videos, but now can't find it. ( Correct that, I just bought it! )

Is there a tutorial video on the Gladiator EVO dry clutch adjustment screws? I get confused about what each of the three adjustments do and which axis they affect. Although, the confusion might just be a product of my age. Over 70 and still flying, albeit at home at my desk.

Again - thanks for your help about the router interference.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:38

Glad to hear you like our devices and you're having fun with them!
If you want to have 2 of the throttles combined with the throttle link it is advisable to deactivate on of the axes. If you'll run VKBDevCfg, navigate in Test/Axes panel, move the 2 linked throttles and tell me the names of those 2 axes I'll further advise on deactivating one of them.
Here's the Quick Start guide for the EVO, will see in there which are the screws for adjusting the dampers on pitch and roll.

Old49r

Postby Old49r » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:46

The THQ axis are Slider1 & Slider2. Will I be doing the same thing when the WWII THQ Grip (Add-On) arrives?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 21:06

Do this:
1. make sure your device is selected at the top of the window;
2. in Profile/Axes/Logical Axes panel uncheck all marks on the Axis 8;
3. Press Set to save the changes:
Screenshot 2022-08-07 105804.png

Here's the set up guide for the German throttle grip. Please note that if you will use the THQ connected to your NXT/EVO there's no need to install a GNX HID controller as in the video. I'll help you to install it and get it running when you'll get it if you'll need assistance, so no worries about that.

Return to “Technical Support”