Cannot update firmware of Gunfighter MCG Pro

Postby black_angel » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:18

I have a Gunfighter MCG Pro stick listed as the following in Device Config:

HID-compliant game controller
Product Name: VKB-Sim Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro
PRO version
T-Link supported
Firmware version: v1.975

It is operating fine but I would like to update the firmware for some of the newer configuration options that were not available in that older firmware.

When I try to update the firmware to the latest (_BB_Mk2_GunFighter_MCG_PRO_Twist_v2_11_5.vkb since this is an MCG Pro stick that I have added the twist module to), I get the following error message:

!!! Device signature not correct - flash fail !!!
Please check version of firmware file for this device

I have tried using other firmware in this package, older firmware like 1.99/2.01, Z-Bootloader2 1.95 and a couple of older Z-Bootloader-C versions - they all show the same error message.

Can you please help? Will the latest firmware support this stick?

Have seen some other posts that mention to generate an .op1 file. I have done this so if you would like me to send this file somewhere, please say where. I suspect from the flash failure message that this has something to do with stored digital signature key authorities (has that changed since the stick was manufactured - just before the twist module was released) so I am not going to post the op1 file openly.

fallout9

Re: Cannot update firmware of Gunfighter MCG Pro

Postby fallout9 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:27

Please run VKBDevCfg and post a screenshot with the whole window.

black_angel

Postby black_angel » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:52

Here you go... I was not sure what tab to show so I have taken a shot showing the info and global settings (showing external devices)

info.png

global.png

For completeness here is the flash failing (this time with the none twist firmware)...

flash.png

I am aware that VKBDevCfg is the latest for a later firmware version, which is the reason I want to update the firmware in the first place. I have tried with earlier versions, at least one looking like the following (with corresponding ZBootloader-C version)...

old.png
Last edited by black_angel on Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:54, edited 1 time in total.

black_angel

Postby black_angel » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:53

All version I have tried have failed to flash with the same error

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:50

You're using very old firmware and software (neither version of your current VKBDevCfg and zBootloader won't work with the latest firmware). Please follow this guide for reflashing and this one afterwards, for calibrating. Make sure you're not skipping any steps.

black_angel

Postby black_angel » Sat Aug 06, 2022 21:07

Yes, I have old firmware, hence wanting to update.

If you look at the very first screen shot I posted you can see that I am using the latest VKBDevCfg and zBootloader. What from that screen shot made it look like I was using an older VKBDevCfg? I tried both the latest and an older one.

Never the less, I rewatched the guide and followed it to the letter, including re-downloading everything fresh and putting in the same folder called _vkb_ as shown in the video. Also ran as administrator and made sure the stick was directly connected as the only controller device to a USB port directly on the PC (used a USB2 port although there is no such thing on modern motherboards - they all go through the same USB3 controllers). Same problem occured at the Flash It stage: !!! Device signature not correct - flash fail !!!

This has to be something to do with the signature stored on the device.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 22:57

Your last screenshot shows software version 90.54.
What color is your Black Box, orange or black?

black_angel

Postby black_angel » Sat Aug 06, 2022 23:23

Yes, the last screenshot was an older version as I tried that as well as the latest in the first screenshot. Sorry if that led to confusion.

I have a black Black Box.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 0:13

Try to flash the Black Box without the grip attached to the base. If it doesn't work with MCG Pro twist firmware try something like SCG and if it works the MCG Pro twist firmware afterwards.

black_angel

Postby black_angel » Sun Aug 07, 2022 23:10

I have tried flashing with the grip detatched and also with the base detatched from black box. Fails with the same message.

Have tried (in all connection configurations) all of the firmwares in the black box II folder. Fails with all of them. Have also tried Default settings, then flashing, still fails with Device signature not correct.

Drano

Postby Drano » Sun Aug 07, 2022 23:30

Reset the black box? Something is screwey for sure. New black ones have a button to press while plugging it in. The older orange ones you have to short two pins on the PCB while plugging it in. Kind of a PITA on that one as you have to open the case to get at the pins. Process is described in the manual.

After doing that see what Devconfig says it is. I figure it's worth a shot. Maybe I missed it but I don't think you've tried that yet.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

black_angel

Postby black_angel » Mon Aug 08, 2022 0:46

AFAIK the external button on the black black box is not the same as shorting the pins in the older one. All it seems to do when holding the button and plugging in is to put the box into boot loader mode. And yes, I have tried it that way, no joy. Have not tried opening the black box up since it is mounted and haven't wanted to unstick it and mess around inside yet (until I really have to).

There is not a lot of documentation on the button on the black black box. Think it is to turn on calibration when running normally. Searching the forums and internet for what the button does draws a bit of a blank when I've looked in the past.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:45

Wait a bit on this please. I know you want to use and trying to get back at you ASAP.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:28

Please try an older version of the bootloader. Download link (file called zbootloader-cv1.33.zip).
Make sure the VKBDevCfg is off, then run the bootloader and flash the new firmware.

black_angel

Postby black_angel » Wed Aug 10, 2022 17:14

I'll give that exact version a shot when I'm next at my PC. As stated in the first message, I did initially try with a couple of older Z-Bootloader-C versions that I had downloaded when I purchased the stick several years ago and they gave the same fail message.

Return to “Technical Support”