VKB Gladiator NXT no lights on stick/cut on wire

Moderator: AdminGroup

Dev

VKB Gladiator NXT no lights on stick/cut on wire

Postby Dev » Tue Jul 12, 2022 23:54

Help,

Had my stick open to re-fix a switch that was flaky and when I put it back together, the lights on the top didn't come on and no buttons above the base triggered when testing with VKBconfig.

Took a closer look and found a cut through the insulation on the yellow wire on the cable bundle that leads from the base through the center of the stick was scraped/pinched. Picture attached.

I've tried electrical tape to cover the gap, but still don't get any lights or buttons on the stick.

How to proceed?

Thanks,
wire.jpg

skarekrow

Re: VKB Gladiator NXT no lights on stick/cut on wire

Postby skarekrow » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:34

Hey Dev,

To me, a quick and easy fix would be to just cut the damaged yellow wire where it was damaged, then properly solder the wire together and use heat shrink to
protect the area, you could use electrical tape however for me heatshrink looks much better and helps seal and support the damaged area better.

You could also contact VKB Support for possibly sending you a replacement wiring harness for the stick.

When connecting the stick to the base, be sure to use the rubber protective sleeve for the wires when threading the wires through the base and also be sure to keep the rubber sleeve on until the handle is securely on the base, this will prevent any possibility of getting the wires pinched when installing. Please note, I am not saying this is how the wires were damaged I unfortunately learned this lesson the hard way--- :oops:
When reintalling the handle on the base, I used the rubber sleeve to just get the wires through the base and pulled the sleeve off too soon and when starting to push the handle down for final fit I could feel a little resistance and it was two of the
wires from the stick harness that had gotten in between the stick and base. Luckily it did not damage anything, but if I had pushed harder it would have.

Good luck, I am sure you will get this sorted properly !!!

Return to “Technical Support”