Remove twist spring possible?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Cataphract

Remove twist spring possible?

Postby Cataphract » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:22

Hi, I'm considering getting a pair of these sticks for Star Citizen, and I want to remove the spring on a left hand horizontal Gladiator NXT, to act as a throttle that stays in place.

Is this possible? It really is a struggle to figure out a 7 direction layout you like

fallout9

Re: Remove twist spring possible?

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:28

That was not possible on the Gladiator NXT, but it's possible on its latest version, the Gladiator NXT EVO. You could remove the springs on either or both pitch and roll axes the the grip would keep position; the resistance could be adjusted, as both these 2 axes have dampers.
You could see how it acts here.

LE wait, did you say 'twist'? The twist spring not removable, you could only lock it up.

Cataphract

Postby Cataphract » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:35

yes, twist. merp oh well

Cataphract

Postby Cataphract » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:54

with the way the twist has an up/down motion to it, it would even show you where neutral was. this would be excellent as a throttle for the sideways version of the stick

GrubbyZebra

Postby GrubbyZebra » Wed Jul 13, 2022 21:49

You can remove the twist spring on the NXT Evo. Use a 1.5mm flat head screwdriver to pop the little flat metal cap off the top of the twist unit (it is just held on with a small drop of glue, and there is a #1 phillips head screw underneath that allows disassembly of the twist mechanism. Pop the spring out, put it back together, and viola, twist throttle for space sims or collectives. I would recommend putting a light weight spring (the stock spring has a k of around 50lb, I would say find something around 10-12lb) just to keep the twist body seated properly, and a bit thicker grease, as since there is no clutch on the twist axis, the added friction and viscosity help keep the twist position where you want it. I am working on also coming up with some different twist mechanisms better suited to collective/space throttle usages that have slightly different geometry. Keep an eye on Printables.com for release.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Thu Jul 14, 2022 0:05

Cataphract wrote:Hi, I'm considering getting a pair of these sticks for Star Citizen, and I want to remove the spring on a left hand horizontal Gladiator NXT, to act as a throttle that stays in place.

Is this possible? It really is a struggle to figure out a 7 direction layout you like

Silly thought perhaps, but if you want to use the TWIST as a throttle (laterally positioned, using the OTA adapter, like a motorcycle throttle in a way?) you don't have to remove twist spring and get it to 'hold' in place. Just change the axis type from ABSOLUTE [value reported = position along range] to RELATIVE [value reported GROWS or SHRINKS at a rate-of-change proportional to displacement from center of range, stops changing when you 'relax' your grip and let it return (spring) to center]. You can then just use a button for your "Zero". (Programmed in the stick firmware, button will be lost for use as a separate digital function button for game mapping, but that's a small price to pay.)

This is how I use my left hand setup, with the entire grip mounted laterally instead of with an OTA adapter. This way stick X is more like Z and thus my up/down thrust, stick Y remains forward/aft and I use as fore/aft thrusters (modifies main thrust axis value some). I have pitch and roll in traditional places on right hand stick, and yaw on pedals. Pedal toe brakes provide the L and R directional thrusters.

Hope this might help give you some ideas.

RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Return to “Technical Support”