USB-A to USB-B cables

Moderator: AdminGroup

pbryn

USB-A to USB-B cables

Postby pbryn » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:07

I have two GFIII that I have been using for a couple of years and suddenly I can only connect one. I had made some changes recently such as added a new webcam, an Arduino sound mixer (Deej) and did some cable management and both worked until after some of the cable management so I thought I might have broken a cable. Ive tried removing the new things but nothing helps. All of my USB-A to USB-B cables except 1 seem to have gone bad. The one cable that works can be plugged in anywhere( back of computer, front panel, powered hub, another computer) and it will work with either my left or right stick and spare black box so the black boxes and sticks work fine. All other cables I have will not work with either I get a Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) if I try to use them. I bought 5 new cables of different types just incase some didn't work, none of them work. Is there something special about these USB-A to USB-B cables for the black box?

fallout9

Re: USB-A to USB-B cables

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:56

No, they're regular printer cables. Maybe there's too much load on your PSU? Try to remove some USB devices.

pbryn

Postby pbryn » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:17

I tried stripping down to Keyboard and Mouse and Joysticks and it still gives me the unrecognized unless I use one particular cable. Trying a black box in another computer I get the same issue only that one I have will work. Ordering more cables.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:28

So you've already tried the working cable on both BBs and they both work?

pbryn

Postby pbryn » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:07

Yes, I have three BBs and they all work with one cable, every single other cable I have and they will not connect properly I get the unrecognized device error. I tried it on another computer and that one cable is the only one that works.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:10

That's really unlucky :(

pbryn

Postby pbryn » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:15

I did a fresh install of windows and only connected keyboard and mouse. Got a bunch more cables of different brands. Still only 1 of my original cables works. Is there a way to completely wipe a BB/GFIII? I even tried the new 2.11.5 firmware, I can load that to each blackbox with the one cable that works.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:31

Not sure how resetting the Black Box would help, if it works with one of the cables it means that it's fine.
Please fill up a service ticket, they'll send you some cables.

pbryn

Postby pbryn » Wed Jul 06, 2022 23:52

I did some more investigating with a multimeter to try to figure out why one cable works and my others do not. Wire 2, the white data wire, is not making contact in the blackbox connector for all of the "bad" cables. It looks like my single "good" cable has pushed the #2 wire connection down on the female side on the black boxes so now it is the only one that will work. Should I just get some USB-B sockets and solder on some new ones?

I did put a ticket in and provided this additional information.

Return to “Technical Support”