NXT X-axis drift

Moderator: AdminGroup

james340

NXT X-axis drift

Postby james340 » Thu May 26, 2022 2:06

Hey there folks, my NXT seems to have developed a bit of an issue...

My X-axis seems to drift off, mainly to the right, and requires recalibration with VKBconfig to bring it back. This will last an intermittent time, and then the same thing will happen.

From a centred calibration, I wiggled the stick back and forth for about 15-20 seconds. When left to centre, this is where it drifts to. (Image doesn't seem to work, so here's a link https://imgur.com/a/jvjfSqx)

I have noticed lately (last few weeks) that at random times the main LED on the top of the stick itself would light up white, and the little red dot next to it for the PoV/Hat (which by default is off) would also light up, then after a second or so would return to my default LED settings.

I thought using bootloader to flash and reset it might help, but the drift would return after a while (between 5-40 minutes). Other than the stick being used fairly gently, there didn't seem to be a consistent cause of the issue.

I've opened it up, and none of the wires or connections seem to be loose or damaged or out of place. Is there any maintenance I need to do to correct this drift, or is this wear-and-tear on the device?

Like I say, I'm pretty gentle with it when using the different sims, and it doesn't get mistreated, so hoping this is just a minor glitch that can be resolved easily.

Cheers for any help :)

fallout9

Re: NXT X-axis drift

Postby fallout9 » Thu May 26, 2022 5:12

- delete all VKB files from your hard drive;
- download VKBDevCfg, zBootloaderand the attached firmware file;
- unzip them all 3 in the same, dedicated folder;
- run zBootloader, select your device name from the lower half of the window and press the Start Boot button;
- select the bootloader from the lower part of the window;
- press the ... button, navigate to the folder with the firmware file and load it up;
- press the Flash It! button;
- after the zBootloader quits run VKBDevCfg and press the Default button under Tools tab;
- navigate to Global/External/ExternalDevices and press the Find&Autoconfig button;
- press the Start Calibr button under Tools tab and calibrate all axes by moving them slowly, a few times, through their whole range;
- press the End Calibr when done.

If the issue persists post a picture with the internals.
Attachments
_Gladiator_NXT_v2_09_0.zip
(77.12 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

james340

Postby james340 » Thu May 26, 2022 6:38

Will do @fallout9. I'll let you know how it goes.

When you say 'delete all VKB files', does that include my profile saves for my sticks ( I have an L-EVO as well)?

I can remake the profiles easily enough, just wondering if they all need to be gone gone :)

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu May 26, 2022 7:09

Just wanted to make sure you're getting rid of older versions of VKBDevCfg and zBootloader. Profiles are totally fine.

james340

Postby james340 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:06

Run through all that, Fallout, and it's a lot better, but is still having a few centring issues.

It's no longer getting stuck at higher deflections, but doesn't always return the centre value of 32767 on the Axis X Test page in VKBconfig. https://imgur.com/a/c7k3Cmo

Like I say, no where near as bad, but is still drifting slightly. It does sometime correct after moving it around, but also slips out on either direction slightly on the axis, as shown in the image.

EDIT: Can still stick further out, and when like this, it seems to impact the deflection value on the opposite side, as shown here https://imgur.com/a/2aL2aNH
EDIT 2: And it gets worse, now having next to no movement right on the virtual side, while the stick is far right https://imgur.com/a/X0k13Ub

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:52

Let's check the magnet on the roll axis by disconnecting the 2 cables, removing the 4 screws and extracting the gimbal from the case. The magnet is at the end of the long post marked with an arrow; use a large piece of metal to see if it's coming out easily or if it's rotating in its housing.
Attachments
y1.png

james340

Postby james340 » Fri May 27, 2022 2:18

Yea, the magnet came away pretty easily. Do I just need to glue it back in, will that solve the issue?

20220527_111443.jpg
Last edited by james340 on Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:06, edited 1 time in total.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri May 27, 2022 5:17

Yes, definitely. Use just a bit of glue and not only on the back, but on the sides too.
Sorry to see that :(

james340

Postby james340 » Fri May 27, 2022 6:08

No worries, Fallout - I've had this stick for 2 years and this is the first issue I've had after it's been used extensively.

I've glued the magnet back into place, and so far it seems to be holding nicely. I'll let you know if the issue isn't resolved by this, but looks very promising so far :)

Cheers for all your help!

Return to “Technical Support”