Sticks stop working properly after a while

Moderator: AdminGroup

Tjjoris

Sticks stop working properly after a while

Postby Tjjoris » Mon May 02, 2022 17:28

I am using a Gunfighter MK3 SCG Premium Left and Right.
After I'll use them for a while, some of the hat's, and the twist stop working. The X,Y axis and trigger continues to work.
My temporary solution is to unplug the usb cable from the computer, and plug it back in again. This fixes it until it happens again.
I have my devices flashed to "_BlackBox_MK2_GF_SCG_L_v2_09_0.vkb" and "_BlackBox_MK2_GF_SCG_v2_09_0.vkb"
I love these sticks, and any help would be appreciated.

Tjjoris

Re: Sticks stop working properly after a while

Postby Tjjoris » Mon May 02, 2022 18:03

I forgot to add, I am also using the omni grip on both.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon May 02, 2022 19:35

Try to have them plugged directly into the motherboard, with no extensions or hubs.

Tjjoris

Postby Tjjoris » Tue Jun 28, 2022 0:01

I've tried plugging them directly into the motherboard. However I love the omini grips so much I don't want to remove those. I've also tried unplugging the USB hub. And setting the sticks to default settings.

They still have an issue where the button on the top will change form the blue colour and something will stop functioning properly, sometimes just a hat, or the twist.

I am wondering if I should update the bios on my motherboard.

It's quite a new model ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4. And the version is 0404 which i don't see on their website, but version 0605 is from 2021/11/05. I noticed this problem only started happening a few months ago, actually about when I got the omni grips. Could it be the bios? I hope it's not the omini grips.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 0:08

If you lose control over buttons and twist it means there's a contact issue either between grip and OTA or between OTA and base. Take them apart and put them back together; press gently on the parts while tightening the fastener for better contact between the 3 parts involved.

Tjjoris

Postby Tjjoris » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:57

Is it bad to take them apart or put them back together while their plugged in?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:16

It is recommended to unplug them.

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Tue Jun 28, 2022 20:54

Hi Tjjoris. I had a similar problem with my hat switch. I gave the hat switch a couple of basts with canned air, and sure enough it got rid of whatever dust etc. and that left me with a perfectly working hat switch. I also gave the buttons etc. a blast too. Canned air pressure works really good at getting crap out of cracks and crevices. Know what I mean? Hope this helps. Take care...Eddie.

Tjjoris

Postby Tjjoris » Tue Jul 19, 2022 18:12

It definitely seems like its a contact issue somewhere. As when it happens it effects the twist and all the hats. Also when I attach the OTA to the base, I need to get the angle just right (theres a little give) and apply downward pressure when tightening or there's no signal.

A while ago I the grip came detached form the base when I was using it so I figured I wasn't tightening it enough. So after that I was probably over tightening it. and I'm wondering if that damaged the contacts?

I have been using the sticks without the OTA for the last few weeks, and each stick has had this issue only about 2 or so times in 2 weeks since then. Much less frequent. And I use them quite a bit.

I am wondering is it a problem with the OTA's? It happens a lot more when I'm using them(like every 30min or so). Or is that just because i'm applying more angular force when using them and therefore displacing the contacts more, and the contacts are slightly damaged?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 19:48

When mounting the grip on the base (or extension) you'd have to press a bit on the grip so the 3 pins on its bottom would make proper contact with the 3 pads on the base stem and at the same tighten the fastener (rusk) really good; that would help the 2 parts to maintain proper contact. If the fastener is loose, then probably the contact would be lost during use. Another thing that a loose fastener could lead to is deep gouges on the contact pads made by the 3 pins while using the grip (and pressing on it); when the gouges get too deep, then it's possible that one or more of the pins won't be making contact with the pad anymore. Small holes on the 3 contact pads are fine, because they help the pins maintaining contact; deep gouges are not though and they indicate that the fastener haven't been properly secured.
I suggest to try again installing first the grip on the extension - press them gently together while tightening the fastener, then do the same when installing the extension on the base. Use a good, reliable hex key to tighten the fastener's screw and make sure it gets all the way in while tightening, so it won't strip the screw head.

Drano

Postby Drano » Tue Jul 19, 2022 23:20

Just a thought but if unplugging and plugging back in restores the function I wonder if it's a windows power management setting that's killing you. Look in the device manager and click through all of your USB devices. Look at the tab that says power management and make sure that's UN-ticked. That way windows won't decide to kill off your USB device for your convenience. Worth a shot.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2