New NXT very stiff!

Moderator: AdminGroup

Sprool

New NXT very stiff!

Postby Sprool » Tue Mar 29, 2022 15:18

New NXT delivered this morning- thanks - stick is very stiff, the damping is cery high - it does not return to the centre very easily like I have seen on a few video reviews. Is there a way to reduce the damping or will it loosen up after a few days? At the moment its so stiff its impossible to do fast stick movements.
Is the damping supposed to be this stiff?

fallout9

Re: New NXT very stiff!

Postby fallout9 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 19:15

Release the 3 screws controlling the dry clutch mechanisms on both pitch and roll axes. If you don't need them better take all 3 of them out completely and store them safely. See the guide here.

Sprool

Postby Sprool » Tue Mar 29, 2022 22:49

This is the standard Gladiator NXT, not the Evo. I cannot see 3 screrws to remove on my stick? It is the x-axis in particular that is really really stiff. Is it supposed to be that stiff?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 23:02

It usually takes a few good hours of gaming to have the grease spread around and the joystick loosing a bit of its factory stiffness. But that definitely won't be making the grip to move only by blowing air over it.
Also there's no way to explain in words the stiffness grade. Better open it up and see if something is blocking its movement; if it doesn't upload a video as Unlisted on YT and post the link here.

Sprool

Postby Sprool » Tue Mar 29, 2022 23:17

No theres nothing blocking the full travel of the stick. I saw some Reddit threads from people with same issue - interesting reading the left hand grips were thought to have the old grease and were a lot less damped but still smooth, but the new right hand grips were very stiff - new higher viscosity grease used?
I watched the vkb video about regreasing - https://youtu.be/WQtf-E3XEAY if its a s simple as removing some of the grease to free it up a little I will give that a try but I do not know which type of greasae to apply that would be lower viscosity lower friction unless you have some recommendations?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 23:30

I strongly suggest you not to go there. There were cases in the past where people cleaned up the original grease and used their own only to come back and ask to get sent some original grease, which we can't do - we don't have reseller rights, we don't have rights to export grease etc.
So please think twice before doing it; if you'll decide to do it, then a general recommended grease is Nye 767A.

Sprool

Postby Sprool » Tue Mar 29, 2022 23:49

Thanks - I'm happy to try and improve the damping as I dont like it the way it is, unless it will bed in and ease up after a couple of weeks. One more question - is the Nye 767A the same grease as is applied - so if I use this I'll be back at square one again, or is it a bit llighter, less viscous, thus giving me the improvement in feel I'm looking for?
Disappearing dfuther down a greasy rabbit hole: https://youtu.be/59F9qUDNwnQ

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:01

Nyogel 767A is way less viscous than the factory grease. It is used in the twist of your joystick. It's also easier to procure than anything else from Nye.

Return to “Technical Support”