Gladiator NXT not turning on

Moderator: AdminGroup

Brisingr

Gladiator NXT not turning on

Postby Brisingr » Sat Feb 26, 2022 21:17

Hi all,

This is continuation to the thread I made on reddit where Fallout9 was contacting me. https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/t1ix2y/gladiator_nxt_no_longer_turning_on/

As per Fallout's recommendation, I did have a second PC I could test the defective controller with. I quickly downloaded the bootloader and Dev software, and went through the F1 and F2 troubleshooting step to see if the device detected on bootloader.
Unfortunately, I'm getting the same message of no loader or Njoy32 controllers.

I will attach a screenshot of the VKB Dev console and bootloader on my main PC. This what I'm seeing when I have both plugged in, notice how only the right handed is shown. I did try to unplug both as per Fallouts recommendation. When I tested on my second PC, I tried only the defective to no success. My secondary PC has very little programs on it, especially in terms of LED control, as it just used as a PLEX media server, which still uses normal Windows 10 OS.

Thanks
Attachments
VKB Issue 1.png
Bootloader and Dev software Screenie with both plugged in

fallout9

Re: Gladiator NXT not turning on

Postby fallout9 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 21:39

Turn off VKBDevCfg, disconnect from USB, remove the base plate, short the 2 pins marked in the picture with a small screwdriver, plug to USB, unshort the pins. Run zBootloader. Any change?
Attachments
IMG_3659.jpg

Brisingr

Postby Brisingr » Sun Feb 27, 2022 20:46

So I just tried that this morning and unfortunately I'm getting no change in the bootloader software. Quick question about the process to just make sure I am doing this right... Do I need to unplug the grip connector before shorting the pins, the connector above and to the right of the box you drew in the picture. If yes I can try this again, but I saw no change with my couple of attempts while the grip was still connected. I saw no lights come up and still do not hear any windows chimes.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:35

Nope, the grip connector should stay where it is.
Try again, on both computers. Make sure nothing like Logitech, Aorus, Razer, Corsair programs are running in the background.

MashJVS

Postby MashJVS » Tue Mar 01, 2022 14:27

Brisingr

I am having a similar issue to you. You can seem the forum post with Fallout9 in the link below.

I am finding that one of the USB cables is working for either of the NXT's but the other USB cable doesn't work with either NXT.

have you tried to swap the cables? I would be keen to know if you see a similar difference to mine.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5959

Brisingr

Postby Brisingr » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:59

Hi all,

Sorry for the long wait on the reply, I've had a very busy work week. I was able to do some more testing today and still having no success. I'm in contact with a support agent on an open ticket as well.

-MashJVS
I have tried the other cable and unfortunately having the same issue. You prompted me to test to see if my working joystick would work with the new cable from the defective one and it does. So I think this is really narrowing it down to an issue with probably something on the board.

Overall to me it just seems like nothing is getting power somehow. I've checked all connections and wires and nothing seems pinched or damaged. Really makes me think its something with the board.

TwoLemonsInARow

Postby TwoLemonsInARow » Fri Mar 04, 2022 22:46

Hi there MashJVS.

Just found your YouTube videos on this subject.
I am having the exact same issue myself,
I have two nxts left and right, when this happened to my first one, I bought another one to replace it. Both are now totally bricked.

I will watch your updates for progress and wish us good luck each of us. Could you mention to the tech support Rep that the same issue is happening to others? I put in another service ticket but it takes days for them to be read.

If we can't figure out and fix the cause of this, these expensive joysticks will be unusable even with a replacement pcb under warranty. Something windows is doing might be damaging the on board controller, I am not certain but unless there was a huge quality control failure, it does not seem likely that all of these cases are due to random component failures.

Cheers let's hope it gets sorted.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 23:11

Show a photo without a bottom plate, like fallout9.

TwoLemonsInARow

Postby TwoLemonsInARow » Fri Mar 04, 2022 23:18

Here you are.

As in other cases there's no obvious sign of pcb damage, but I am no expert. I do hope it helps somehow.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 23:25

Please take the issue more seriously, from more readable angles and without unnecessary pictures.

Disconnect the Y sensor cable (it's the only one), disconnect all other USB devices (GNXLeft or Right), and show a screenshot of the configurator with the problematic GNX connected.

TwoLemonsInARow

Postby TwoLemonsInARow » Sat Mar 05, 2022 0:05

There are 2 pictures because these are two different Gimbal units. I am working on getting you top quality photos so that everyone can see I am telling the truth.

I am sending 2 photos of the most recent of the two units which failed, if you need to see both I will attach more.

I apologize if my photography is not superb but I don't see damage with my eyes and they work pretty decent. I have seen pcb damage before, there's none here.

If it was a faulty pcb from the factory the issue would not replicate itself so perfectly in several simultaneous cases.
Someone is going to need to bear responsibility for this and the usual warranty service may not be sufficient to resolve it. Unless of course we work hard and find a solution.

But we can do that can't we :)

The configurator nor windows detects the device whatsoever. Lights do not turn on. It is a dead parrot. A perished parakeet.

So I will send you a screen cap of the blank configurator screen as soon as I can, so you will know I am taking this as seriously as I ought.

Let me know if these photos work.

**Update

VKBDevCfg with either nonfunctioning unit plugged in.
and
the Zbootloader screen with the unit plugged in showing nothing.

It is dead as far as windows, VKB or the LEDs on the unit are concerned.

Shady195

Postby Shady195 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 17:37

I'm having this very same issue. Left stick suddenly dead, no power. Tried all the troubleshooting mentioned

Sticks less than 2 months old.

m.smallwood

Postby m.smallwood » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:40

I have just developed this same issue, but seemingly more sporadic. It started when I upgraded to the latest firmware. After flashing, my left stick wouldn't show up. I unplug the stick, plug it back in, the lights come on for a second like it's turning on, but the then go off, and no "new device connected" tone from windows and it doesn't show up in either the bootloader nor the Cfg program. What I have tried:

- Holding F1, F2, and F3. Will randomly, rarely work, but it needs calibrated, and when I go into the Cfg program and try to calibrate, it disappears again.

- Holding F1 and F2. Same as above.

- Shorted the boot pins. Came up as a random device. Flashed it and no change in behavior.

- Started Windows 11 in Safe Mode. Still the same.

- Using the cable of my right stick (the right stick works fine on the left cable).

- Using a USB port directly on my PC.

I have the last part of my new PC coming next weekend, so my last hope is that fresh hardware and interface might work. Otherwise, I certainly hope VKB has a solution. I see this issue keeps happening, and I have yet to find someone who fixed it.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:25

Is that an EVO or NXT it? Is it single or with module(s) attached?

m.smallwood

Postby m.smallwood » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:39

EVO, with a THQ attached.

Return to “Technical Support”