MCG Ultimate 8-9 months usage and quality issues

Moderator: AdminGroup

Tunguska990

MCG Ultimate 8-9 months usage and quality issues

Postby Tunguska990 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:46

Hi all and Happy New Year!!

I bought the MCG Ultimate back in April 2021 upgrading from the Saitek X52 and have been using it quite extensively. It has brought more realism to DCS and the plethora of buttons and customization options definitely changed how I enjoy DCS and other flight sims. While I enjoy flying with the MCG Ultimate, the experience was not always smooth sailing. I'll be posting some issues here from my experience using the stick in the tropics.

After about 6 months of usage, I first noticed subtle grinding when rolling right (X-axis right), didn't bother with it but when I decided to change some springs, noticed that there are some corrosion going on on both the cams and the rolling thing that moves along the cam (guess it is called ball bearing). I tried adding some lubricant and resumed using it hoping it would go away after while. However, recently (8-9 months since purchase) the corrosion seem to have spread. The first image is before clean up of the lubricant, and the second is after.

Grip Dorsal_res.jpg
Grip Dorsal

Corrosion2_res.jpg
Corrosion2

As most parts are replaceable, I wasn't initially worried by this, however after some searching I can't seem to find the ball bearing part online so that is causing some concern for me especially since the replacement for the whole base is $269 on the website.

Also, I noticed that the paint on the grip is peeling off, revealing the metal material below it. It is evident that the location of the peeling is where I apply forces to the stick during maneuverers in sims, thus, I am concern that it will continue to peel and accidental scratches might spread the peeling. First image shows the peeling on the dorsal part of the stick, where the thenar (or mount of venus) of my palm rests. Second images shows the peeling on the right of the stick, where the proximal part of my index and ring fingers are positioned.

Corrosion1_res.jpg
Corrosion1

Grip Right_res.jpg
Grip Right

Now, since I live in the tropics, I am quite concerned that with the paint peeling and the high humidity, the metal itself might corrode, not to mention that the corrosion on the ball bearing and the cams might spread. I am a bit confused what to do and whether I should file a support ticket. As I purchased it from the Aliexpress store, I am aware that I will have to go through them. However, I am posting here first, hoping to see if anyone experienced the same issues and how to mitigate them, and to see if there are anyone from VKB that can help or possibly consider improving this aspect of the the stick. Honestly, while I enjoy using the stick, these issues left me quite disappointed as my impression was with the amount I am spending on the MCG series, I should be getting something that should last me quite sometime.

Would appreciate some advice, thanks

fallout9

Re: MCG Ultimate 8-9 months usage and quality issues

Postby fallout9 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 20:31

All the components are treated against rust or made of rust resistant materials, but seems the humidity in your room seems simply excessive. That grip looks like the paint is cooking on it and the internals like there's always condensation present. I would suggest to clean up the cams and ball bearings with some cloth, then treat them with some fine lubricant monthly. Having your gaming device in a room with AC would definitely help, but if it's not possible maybe just have a fan facing your desk.

Tunguska990

Postby Tunguska990 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:37

Thanks fallout9 for the suggestions, I've contacted the the distributor at Aliexpress and they sent me a replacement shell for the grip and the ball bearings. Would there be a guide for the replacement of the ball bearings and the shell?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun May 22, 2022 9:00

Please stay in touch the the local dealer for further instructions.

Return to “Technical Support”