FSM-GA knob response times

Moderator: AdminGroup

Aplato

FSM-GA knob response times

Postby Aplato » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:38

I'm hoping there's a simple software solution to this, but is there a way to make the knobs on the FSM more responsive? With this kind of delay I don't think it will be usable for me.

I'm using SPAD.neXt to wire it up to the heading knob in the Aerosoft CRJ (Microsoft Flight Simulator) and it moves unusably slowly. I have recorded two clips to demonstrate this. In both of them, I rotated the HDG knob roughly a full rotation very quickly 5 times in succession (over the course of about a second). You can see how long it takes for the inputs to register; in both instances I had to wait several full seconds without touching anything for the system to catch up.

https://youtu.be/NA9nNfcruqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n5_6nq2exY

Aplato

Re: FSM-GA knob response times

Postby Aplato » Sat Nov 13, 2021 22:07

Any thoughts on this one? I'm reasonably confident there's a way to improve this but I have no idea how. This and not knowing how to configure the LEDs and update their status in SPAD.neXt are the only things holding me back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 23:05

The only thing that I could recommend would be to skip the intermediary. Never tried that software, but isn't it made for Logitech devices? And Logitech software is very intrusive on its own, there were many cases when people couldn't use VKB native software because what restrictions Logitech software was laying around. Plus, from their website, that thing haven't been updated in 1 year.

Aplato

Postby Aplato » Sat Nov 13, 2021 23:08

Interesting...I was under the impression that SPAD.neXt and Axes and Ohs are the most recommended solutions for mapping controls. Are you suggesting that I use the in-built control mapping in my games/sims (such as Flight Simulator) or is there a way to map controls directly through VKB software? Many control options aren't available in the in-game options for custom aircraft so a program like SPAD.neXt is needed to adjust internal variables (LVARs).

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:50

Try to bind it directly in game without intermediaries, there's no way to find out other than trying yourself, as it seems to be a very uncommon issue.

Aplato

Postby Aplato » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:00

I don't believe it's possible to bind this particular control without an intermediary, but in any case I really don't think that's the problem as I see the same behavior just using the button tester or VKB config application without SPAD.neXt or any other software running.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 20:34

I don't have any experience with the software you're using, but I got lots on VKB's native software and technical issues and I can tell you this is the first time when I encounter a delayed action coming from a VKB device. Not saying it's not there, but there are too many layers of software covering your hardware and too many variables we can't control - third party controller software build for a different brand, unofficial plane module.
If you'll find the same sort of control on an official plane, try binding the device without any thirds and you'd still get delays please let us know.

Aplato

Postby Aplato » Sun Nov 14, 2021 20:39

Thanks for the response! If it's helpful at all, here is a video with only the VKB config program running, no SPAD.neXt or Flight Simulator. Granted spinning the knob that quickly in succession probably isn't a realistic scenario, but with 360 inputs needed to make a full rotation for the heading bug it needs to be able to process this pretty quickly. The sound quality in this video is very poor, but you can hear when I start and finish rotating the knob and see how long it takes to catch up. https://youtu.be/rroAtpgwDjc

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 23:33

Check page 72 about Generator function. Open VKBDevCfg and navigate to Profile/Buttons/Physical Layer. Check the Poll box on the right side and turn the know left and right; you'll see 2 cells flashing on the chart - click on them and assign them Generator functions: start with G1 and continue with all options, modifying timers and multipliers if you think it'd help. There also a variable that's affecting the Generator function, T_Gen in Global/Common, you might want to add that to your experiments list.

Aplato

Postby Aplato » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:39

This gives me some hope but I'm not quite sure if it's possible to make this work the way I need. The G1 options with a value of 2 and multiplier of 1x combined with a T_GEN setting of 20 seemed to be the most promising as it's fast enough to trigger the aircraft's built-in "knob acceleration", but unfortunately I then lose the ability to move it in a single increment. It's possible there's a better option, but I didn't see one during my testing and nothing jumps out at me reading the descriptions in the documentation.

Is there any way to make it send multiple pulses only if I twist the knob only one tic? Failing that, as a last resort, is it possible to use another button as a modifier (from the documentation I believe that's what a shift is?) where I could have it just send the normal button press signal without it an and only act as a generator when that additional button is held down?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:32

From the manual:
    G1
    Generates specified number of pulses with single button press. Set this number us
    ing Value counter. Checking x10 you can multiply specified number to 10. Example.
    Value is equal to 7, x10 checked. 70 pulses will be generated.

also:
    G8
    Generates pulse batches with specified frequency all the time button is pressed. Set
    number of pulses in a single batch using Value combo box.

Aplato

Postby Aplato » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:33

I apologize -- I read those descriptions in the manual, but I'm not sure what about them you're trying to highlight here. Would you mind elaborating a bit? I'm also not sure that G8 is relevant since you can't control how long a "press" is with the knobs. The language on that one is a bit questionable though so maybe I'm not interpreting it correctly.

Is there a way to only have it pulse when I spin it more than one tick? I can't make it impossible to adjust my heading by single increments. If not, is there a way to have it behave as a generator only if I hold down another button (such as A1 on the THQ) while I twist the HDG/TRK knob? I don't love that solution but at least in theory it would make it possible for me to make quick adjustments without losing the ability to make granular changes.

tiberius

Postby tiberius » Tue Nov 16, 2021 13:19

Sorry for interrupting this thread but I also have questions regarding to FSM-GA's encoders:

Seems they are not affected by Global -> T_Enc config?

I also tried to configure them as Encoders with 4/4 pulses in Physical buttons page, but that would make them not emitting Logical button pushes.

But above both config works with two encoders on Gladiator NXT base.

Are the encoders on FSM-GA different from those on Gladiator NXT base? Are they only usable as discrete buttons with ~50 ms interval?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 20:50

Aplato wrote:I'm not sure what about them you're trying to highlight here

Was pointing to a possible resolve for a question of yours:
Aplato wrote:Is there any way to make it send multiple pulses only if I twist the knob only one tic? Failing that, as a last resort, is it possible to use another button as a modifier (from the documentation I believe that's what a shift is?) where I could have it just send the normal button press signal without it an and only act as a generator when that additional button is held down?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 20:52

tiberius wrote:...questions regarding to FSM-GA's encoders:
Seems they are not affected by Global -> T_Enc config?

They should, but they also have to be defined as Encoders in software (by default they're simply buttons now).

Return to “Technical Support”