GF Mk.I - Red LED on the base PCB - how to check if the upgrade kit would work

Moderator: AdminGroup

AstroNomad

GF Mk.I - Red LED on the base PCB - how to check if the upgrade kit would work

Postby AstroNomad » Sun Sep 12, 2021 16:26

I am getting a red LED light inside the Gunfighter Mk.I base when it is connected to the BlackBox/power. This is with and without the grip attached (I tried the MCG, SCG and the KG12 grips).

This happened as I reassembled the base, after having significant ghosting and calibration problems on one half of the X axis (towards negative values). I was checking the wires, and tried reversing the connector from X-axis PCB to the main PCB with the LED light.

So now it is worse, since the base appears in red in VKBDevCfg and there is no axis movement in X or Y, not to mention the stick does not connect.

I cannot see a broken wire, but attach pictures for you to see.

One way to ´solve´ the problem would be to upgrade to the new Electronics Upgrade Kit. However, how do I know that the electrical fault is not in the base-to-grip connector (those Rev.A pins can be sensitive), which is the only electronic bit that the Upgrade Kit does not replace.
Attachments
GF Mk.I base with old electronics.jpg
redLED.jpg
20210911_223351.jpg
------
Right: GF MkIII
Left: Gf MkI
Feet: VKB T-Rudders <3

Ron61

Re: GF Mk.I - Red LED on the base PCB - how to check if the upgrade kit would work

Postby Ron61 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 18:57

That's right, this led shows the presence of voltage on the base controller when connected to the BB. The problem is not clear - the handles are not detected during installation, or what?

AstroNomad

Re: GF Mk.I - Red LED on the base PCB - how to check if the upgrade kit would work

Postby AstroNomad » Sun Sep 12, 2021 22:22

Thank you for clarifying that the red LED is just voltage, not necessarily error.

So the problem more clearly: there is no axis movement in VKBDevCfg, including base axes (X and Y).
------

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 22:55

Show tabs Global-External Devices, Test-External Devices. What LEDs are on BB when the base is connected? BB orange most likely?

AstroNomad

Postby AstroNomad » Sun Sep 12, 2021 22:59

Ron, you inspired me to use contact cleaner (isopropyl alchohol) on the base and grip connectors. Everything works perfectly now.

Also the problem of ghosting/errant input, which is why I opened the base in the first place. I hope it was just a poorly seated cable on the X axis or some metal dust. Will see how she flies, but I have a feeling it won´t come back.
------

Return to “Technical Support”