Switching from SCG to MCGU, switch cams/springs?

Moderator: AdminGroup

MrCosplayGuy

Switching from SCG to MCGU, switch cams/springs?

Postby MrCosplayGuy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:22

Hey folks!

I got a SCG on the gunfighter base a week or so back, and decided to switch the grip to a MCGU. I noticed since the MCGU is so much heavier, and a bit taller, that the default springs for the SCG may not be strong enough for it? Which cams/springs should I be putting in the gunfighter to get the default for the MCGU?

Thanks!

fallout9

Re: Switching from SCG to MCGU, switch cams/springs?

Postby fallout9 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:35

There's no default and no strict rule. Some people prefer soft springs and could live with the grip not returning to the center by itself. Others are increasing the deadzone, or completely releasing the dampers, or installing the hard detent cams. There are lots of options and you'll have to find out what suits you best.
A bit more about these options:

When it comes to joystick returning to center there are 4 factors to be considered:
1. Cams - there are soft cams and hard cams. For a precise return to center hard cams are recommended;
2. Springs - there are 5 sets of springs and each cam could load 2 springs; this means a lot of combinations.
For a precise return to center harder combinations are recommended (2x#30 per cam and higher);
3. Dampers - these could be adjusted to cut off the stick oscillations. For a precise return to center the dry clutch has to be completely released;
4. Deadzone - by default it comes set up to 0.5. I could be easily increased to 1.5-2 without losing any input around center.
Best option guaranteed for the most precise return to center is hard cams with hard springs and dampers completely released. But this could still be achieved with soft cams and hard springs and no dampers. Or even with soft cams and softer springs and larger deadzone. As you could see, there are lots of options. VKB products are made to be messed with by the user. Whatever works for a person wouldn't fit in someone else's preferences, so you could adjust your device perfectly to your liking.

MrCosplayGuy

Postby MrCosplayGuy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:18

Thanks for all the info!

I was curious what the default that comes from factory if you buy a MCGU with the base. Is it the same as the SCG?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:47

All bases, no matter the grip, come equipped with a single #20 spring per cam.

MrCosplayGuy

Postby MrCosplayGuy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:32

Oh thanks so much, do you know which cam it comes equipped with by default?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:38

That would be Avis-S.

MrCosplayGuy

Postby MrCosplayGuy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:52

Thanks again, you have been quite helpful!

Return to “Technical Support”