HAT switch change, and now a BlackBox w/Blinking Red Light

Moderator: AdminGroup

Serialk1llr

Re: HAT switch change, and now a BlackBox w/Blinking Red Light

Postby Serialk1llr » Mon Aug 30, 2021 20:40

fallout9 wrote:Check again the PCB pointed at below, could be tricky to seat on all those pins.
Also the 3 wires cable that connects the internals with the 3 pins on the bottom needs to be checked.
See if the 3 pins on the bottom of the grip are all at the same height.
Clean the 3 contact pads on the base with a bit of alcohol.

hey Fallout9,
I included a couple of pictures of the 3-wire cable and PCB. They're definitely connected and seated properly. I also cleaned the contact pads with alcohol as well as tried to get a q-tip up to clean the pins up in the grip itself. I've had this grip apart and back together enough times by now that I feel like I know it like a good friend :lol:

3-wire cable: https://photos.app.goo.gl/d9exvukcQhktcaQ49
PCB & Pins: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jK8q7A7Y3FUYnGai6

Let me know what you think or if you want any other close-up pics. As far as I can tell all the PCBs that have pin connections are well connected and I've not bent anything that had to be fixed so far. Short of applying some serious pressure to that 3-wire connector to try and force it into a closer connection, I don't think it's loose or not plugged in. is there a possibility the new HAT switch I put in that came with this is causing the problem?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:30

Show pictures please with the 3 contact pads on the base and the 3 pins inside the grip, make sure they're in focus.

Serialk1llr

Postby Serialk1llr » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:52

After many takes, these are the best and brightest I could get with my best (and only) camera :lol:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zty6YAxUc732ea598
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LGFuAGJF8h4hbh8f6

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 23:52

If the grip is properly seated on the base and there's still no contact then I would suggest to retrace your steps you've made when replacing the ministick and see what's missing.

Serialk1llr

Postby Serialk1llr » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:20

Well, for the life of me... so, I replaced the HAT with the ministick. Still have blinking red light, still only have x and y axis recognition, still no buttons. :(

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:46

If the HAT switch was defective it wouldn't act like this; seems like a connection issue. Let's check the connection cable that gets through the twist module. Do you have a multimeter to check it?
Alternatively, you could just pull the 3 pins pcb out and check if the wires are still properly soldered to it. To take it out you'll have to remove the twist module, then pull out the piece of rubber holding the PCB in place (like below), then push the cable out. You don't have to remove the cable completely, just push the PCB out and check the connections on its back.
Attachments
IMG_3198.jpg

Serialk1llr

Postby Serialk1llr » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:49

I'm not handy with a multimeter - that electricity stuff is all witchcraft to me :lol: But, I can rebuild a motorcycle so this shouldn't be too bad. Got any directions on how to pull the twist assembly apart? I assume I can follow this video to some degree? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2oj8M0E-yY&t=1s

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:13

You could stop at this stage shown below. Then pull the rubber piece out as above and push the wire up the channel so the PCB would come out. Do not pull the other end of the cable out of the twist module.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Serialk1llr

Postby Serialk1llr » Wed Sep 01, 2021 22:17

Hey there, so, took a little more disassembly than I first thought but I popped the PCB out and got my peepers on it and a pic. Wires look all connected with good connections:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DFYytEzdWCb5pjzD8

I'm going to see if I can get a multimeter this evening after work and give that a whirl - I assume we're checking for continuity between the black and red wires?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 22:19

Yep, that's all you need - to check continuity/shorts on yellow, red and black wires, end to end.

Serialk1llr

Postby Serialk1llr » Wed Sep 01, 2021 22:57

Ahh, so the 3 pins in the bottom of the grip correspond with the red, black and yellow wires then - makes sense. So, connect a lead to one of the 3 bottom pics with one of the three wires in the connector and hopefully all three show continuity. I'm hoping the Multimeter I have access to has probes small enough to get into that connector.

Serialk1llr

Postby Serialk1llr » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:31

Okay Fallout9,
With a little creativity, an extra set of hands, I was able to get a tiny wire attached to the leads of a multimeter and probe the 3 wire connector and test for continuity. I can say that both red and black wires are getting continuity, but not yellow. It could be I didn't do a great job, but I easily verified continuity with red/black, so I assume yellow either isn't supposed to have it, or it should and doesn't (and that's bad).

So is that good, or bad? I assume that's bad. I feel like a patient waiting for a doctor to tell me bad news :lol:

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:52

Well, it's both a good thing because you found what's causing the issue and a bad thing that you'll need a new cable :) For this you'll have to fill up a service ticket with a link to this thread.

Serialk1llr

Postby Serialk1llr » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:06

Your help, like last time, continues to be much appreciated :D

Serialk1llr

Postby Serialk1llr » Wed Oct 06, 2021 22:08

I wanted to report back on my progress. VKB was able to get me a new cable and I was able to repin the connector with a simple sewing needle and replace the part. My SCG stick is back and working like a champ once again.

Can't thank Fallout9 and the folks at VKB enough for all their help and direction in diagnosing the problem, sending out a replacement part, walking me through replacing that part and having videos to demonstrate the majority of the process.

All in all, this has been another great experience with VKB and all their support teams :D

Return to “Technical Support”