VKB Mount + GFIII

Moderator: AdminGroup

Wombat

VKB Mount + GFIII

Postby Wombat » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:09

So I've just received my packages and putting together the table mount and following the video. It shows the bulk of the GF3 base going underneath the mounting plate. If I do this the bottom of the GF3 base is exposed. Should I seek a solution to cover this or is dust and debris not an issue?

Thanks for your help

Ron61

Re: VKB Mount + GFIII

Postby Ron61 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:53

The kit should have such a bottom just for this case.
2.jpg

Wombat

Postby Wombat » Sat Aug 21, 2021 13:21

Thank you! I was looking in the grip box not the mount box.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 13:32

It's my pleasure!

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Mon Aug 23, 2021 14:23

Wombat wrote:So I've just received my packages and putting together the table mount and following the video. It shows the bulk of the GF3 base going underneath the mounting plate. If I do this the bottom of the GF3 base is exposed. Should I seek a solution to cover this or is dust and debris not an issue?

Thanks for your help

It figures VKB would have you covered (hah) with the Stronghold mount kit. But FWIW, I think an open "downward facing" hole wouldn't be an issue, unless you thought you were likely to snag the little wires that might protrude somehow getting in and out of your seat or whatever.

When I designed my own mounting plates for my seat project, I intentionally left a hole in them so I could more easily disconnect the little 4 wire cable, then just unscrew the GF base assy at the top and pull out of its shell for any cam or spring alterations (instead of having to first remove my mount from my chair, then the GF from the mount, unplug cable, then the gimbal from the top side).

I've used these mounts for years now and don't think I've experienced any issues from doing so. I guess with just ambient air currents the bearings might be attracting a tiny bit of dust into their lubricant, but if so I've certainly not felt it.

As a bonus, when the room is really dark, I can see the illumination from the LED inside the gimbal base, barely. Because LEDs are cool. ;-)
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Return to “Technical Support”