New setup problems with Gunfighter mk3 and SCG

Moderator: AdminGroup

rustic_philosopher

New setup problems with Gunfighter mk3 and SCG

Postby rustic_philosopher » Thu Aug 19, 2021 21:08

Original post didn't actually post so resubmitting.

Hi, Apologies in advance if some of these questions have been answered - I looked over the posts and couldn't find answers.

I recently bought a Gunfight Mk3 desktop with SCG (right). I am trying to set it up and running into some issues.

Current state / steps taken so far:
- Honestly, the quickstart and manual really need some work. I found some useful information here in the forums but the shipped instructions provide very little value. The quickstart describes adjusting dampers but I have no insight into whether they need to be loosened or tightened or if some initial adjustment from the factory is required or anything.
- Per a forum post I have not flashed new firmware as mine should be up to date and the calibration tool shows "VKBsim Space Gunfighter XT v2.055 Mk2"
- I have attached the grip to the base per a video posted in the forum. Calibration tool shows the X and Y movement correctly.
- No twist movement is shown during the test nor are any button presses.
- There is what looks to be a led light on the stick but that is not lit up.
- On the black box connecting the base to the use cable there is a blue light illuminated near a non illuminated button with a "sys" label. On the other side of the black box there is a flashing red light next to a "2" label.

I am not sure on next steps in. My outstanding problems are:
- What if any adjustment should I be performing on the dampers?
- How to get twist to work?
- How to get the buttons to work?
- Is there any way to loosen the twist mechanism?

Thanks in advance.

fallout9

Re: New setup problems with Gunfighter mk3 and SCG

Postby fallout9 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 21:58

No worries, you'll get your joystick up and running in no time :)
First of all, you were right not to reflash it, it already runs the latest stable firmware. About grip not working - that is a connection issue, try to reseat the grip on the base like here and here.
Dampers could be adjusted like here. Try it first without adjustment; if you like how it works don't bother changing anything. Run with it for a while and play with them a bit when you get more accustomed to the grip.
The twist mechanism on the SCG grip is not adjustable.

rustic_philosopher

Postby rustic_philosopher » Thu Aug 19, 2021 22:18

I there something to keep in mind when reseating the grip? I feel like I followed the video instructions to the letter so I am not sure what I would do different in order to get a different result.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 22:38

Check if the metal pin on the base got all the way inside the small round hole on the bottom of the grip. The hole could be a bit tight on a new grip, so you might want to press on it to get into position.

rustic_philosopher

Postby rustic_philosopher » Fri Aug 20, 2021 0:12

Thanks for all the help, that worked.

Beyond that:
1. I did notice after a 5 minute test I am hearing a noise in the base, very subtle but still there when the stick moves in the X axis basically crossing the center point. I only call it out as I don't recall hearing it at first but it may be my imagination - is that noise normal?
2. During the calibration, I noticed that the X and Y access don't always go back to the center perfectly - very very close but still off sometimes. What can I change to eliminate that? I assume that has to do with dampers?
3. Regarding dampers and the fact that I know close to nothing about this as this is my first stick of this quality level, where can I find out about what adjustments / springs / dampers do in terms of their real work impact on the stick movement? I have a bag full of springs and other stuff and I haven't the slightest clue as what to do with them.

Thanks!

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:43

Glad you have it running.
1. The noise you're hearing could be the spring extending/retracting or maybe it's the dust cover?
3. You could find out more from this video. Practically the dampers are a pair of nylon pads which are compressing around a metal barrel when you tighten the screw. Tightening the screw/ activating the dampers makes the grip more stable, cuts off the oscillations, but it won't be returning at the center as stable as with the screw completely released. More about this below:
2. When it comes to joystick returning to center there are 4 factors to be considered:
a. Cams - there are soft cams and hard cams. For a precise return to center hard cams are recommended;
b. Springs - there are 5 sets of springs and each cam could load 2 springs; this means a lot of combinations.
For a precise return to center harder combinations are recommended (2x#30 per cam and higher);
c. Dampers - these could be adjusted to cut off the stick oscillations. For a precise return to center the dry clutch has to be completely released;
d. Deadzone - by default it comes set up to 0.5. I could be easily increased to 1.5-2 without losing any input around center.
Best option guaranteed for the most precise return to center is hard cams with hard springs and dampers completely released. But this could still be achieved with soft cams and hard springs and no dampers. Or even with soft cams and softer springs and larger deadzone. As you could see, there are lots of options. VKB products are made to be messed with by the user. Whatever works for a person wouldn't fit in someone else's preferences, so you could adjust your device perfectly to your liking.
In your case, the device came with Soft Cams installed and only 1x#20 per cam, which is very soft. Check the video I've posted and experiment with the options at hand. My advice is not to jump in right now; play with it a few days, so you'll know exactly what you want when time comes to take it apart. And you're always more than welcome to post here any questions that you might have.

rustic_philosopher

Postby rustic_philosopher » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:12

Awesome info, thanks. So I'm clear, you don't believe the noise I am hearing when traversing the center point on an access is cause for concern or requires any kind of maintenance attention?

I watched the video and I guess "soft" cams and lower spring numbers (#20 vs #30 for example) means it doesn't take as much effort to move the stick along an axis?
Also, its unclear to me what the role of a "dry clutch" is vs dampers or are they the same thing?

Thanks again for fielding all my questions.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:54

If that noise sounds metallic it would worth investigating, maybe a nut is loose inside the base. If it's just a plastic thump it's more than probably the dust cover.
Soft cams don't dictate how easy the grip is moving along the axes, only the way the grip is traversing the axes; on the hard cams you feel more clearly the axes crossing and the axes center. There's also a difference between Space and Avia cams - Space cams are more linear and Avia cams provide a more aggressive curve at the end of axis' range, imitating the air resistance. This doesn't mean at all that you can't use Space cams in MSFS or DCS or Avia cams in E:D or SC - it's really up to you.
Also, the springs attached to the cams by default are a single #20 on each cam. As I said, it's very soft. You could pair up to 1x#40 + 1x#50 on each cam. This would provide a very heavy throw, but just to give you an example. Take the name on the bag label as a title only, because 2x#30 springs are not the same as 1x#20 + 1x#40.
'Dampers' is just another term for dry clutch :)

rustic_philosopher

Postby rustic_philosopher » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:56

Sounds good, thanks!

Dogfighter1996

Postby Dogfighter1996 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 0:45

———-
Last edited by Dogfighter1996 on Fri Mar 04, 2022 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:04

Are you sure the fastener is in? This is the right procedure for attaching the grip to the base.

Return to “Technical Support”