Gladiator NXT Y-axis Moving/Floating Zero

Moderator: AdminGroup

mdkennas

Gladiator NXT Y-axis Moving/Floating Zero

Postby mdkennas » Sun May 30, 2021 10:47

EDIT: ISSUE RESOLVED. SEE FOLLOWING POST FOR SOLUTION.

Hi all,

I also submitted a support request to VKB's contact information but I figure I should also try posting this here for some advice. For clarification, this problem started only today after I've had these sticks for roughly one month.

1. Gladiator NXT Premium Left
2. v2.025
3. Default #20 springs
4. Default cams
5. VKB Device Config v0.91.78
6. Joytester screenshot attached
7. VKBdevconfig screenshot attached.

It seems as though whenever I push or pull the stick along the y-axis, the zero point continually floats up and down. It is as if the device can no longer recognize its own zero point. I have attempted recalibration multiple times, I have attempted to change the bias, the KdHi and KdLo, and I have attempted a firmware reset via ZBootLoader, but none of these issues appear to resolve this problem. I fear that this is caused by a hardware fault, but hopefully someone else has encountered this issue and knows a fix.

In the attached screenshots, I am moving the stick back and forward to its physical limits every time (that is what the oscillation on the graph shows). There is no variation in how far the stick is being pushed or pulled, but the software reads significant variations. The VKBdevconfig screenshot shows where the stick's final zero position tended at for this test, though it will continue to float around if I continue pushing the stick. Eventually the software always reads the stick at one of its extreme values and will start wrapping around if the stick is continually pushed or pulled.

My GNX Premium Right does not have this issue, nor do any of the other axes on my GNX Premium Left. It is only the y-axis on the GNX Premium left that seems to present this problem. To restate: this issue was not present out of the box; it presented itself after several weeks of normal use. It worked in one play session, then didn't work in the next. The problem did not happen in the middle of a game; it happened between uses when the computer was left running.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Attachments
Config.png
JoyTester.png
Last edited by mdkennas on Sun May 30, 2021 13:23, edited 2 times in total.

mdkennas

Re: Gladiator NXT Y-axis Moving/Floating Zero

Postby mdkennas » Sun May 30, 2021 13:19

Good news everyone!

After digging through another set of posts here, I was able to find the resolution. The issue wasn't reported by any other user that I could find, but I was led to examine the magnet itself for the y-axis. I didn't realize it was quite so accessible initially. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture, but what ended up happening was the magnet that was supposed to be fixed in its housing had come undone and was stuck to the sensor in the small board that controls the y-axis. After placing the magnet back into its housing, the issue was resolved. The drifting zero was simply because the magnet kept rotating relative to both the sensor and to its housing.

However, after a bit of rigorous testing, the magnet managed to work its way loose again. It seems to not have quite the best friction fit inside its housing, and it slipping out may have been compounded by the fact that it was coated in lubrication on all surfaces. This likely allowed it to slip slightly, even without coming out fully. I cleaned the magnet and its housing and replaced it, and so far it's been all good. To put in perspective how loose the magnet is: I am able to extract it very easily with the tip of a magnetic screwdriver. The X-axis magnet doesn't move at all when I try to extract it with the same screwdriver.

Please advise whether or not I should consider gluing the magnet into the housing, or if that runs the risk of making it permanently un-serviceable in the future should another magnet-related issue arise. And hopefully this thread can help someone in the future, since this seems like it could easily happen to anyone.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun May 30, 2021 18:28

Yep, just drop a blob of glue in there to keep the magnet in place - it doesn't need to come out ever again. Before that clean that area and the magnet of any grease; you could use some qtips for fine access.
Congrats for conducting successful own investigation and apologies for having to get through it.

Escapetaxi

Postby Escapetaxi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 15:31

Oh, I wasn't the only Person to notice this Behaviour? Reported it via Ticket over 1 Year ago...

Thank you for that Posting and Solution! :)

Having this Issue also at Gladiator MK. II and Gunfighter MK. III. That Center off-setting drives me crazy!

In Gladiator MK. II propably the Axis - not Magnet - is slightly shifting and causing that?

// EDIT
The off-setting is not as dramatic as yours, but it still shifts up to about 25 Value off the Center...

Example: Full Pull down -> Center was 1.024 - now about 1.012. Full Pull up -> Center was 1.024 - now about 1.027.
The more I pull in one direction only, the worse it gets. To correct this, I have to move opposite Direction several times.
Very annoying!!

Not slamming the Stick - just lightly touching the outer Edge.

Sorry for my bad English.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 19:14

Your English is just fine, but your presumptions are wrong :) A joystick not centering properly doesn't necessarily means a displaced magnet. In a GunFighter base it could come from using a combination of soft springs and soft cams, or medium springs and too much damper etc. (or from setting up the deadzones to 0, as you recommended in another thread).

iamkermit

Postby iamkermit » Thu Jun 17, 2021 19:13

fallout9 wrote:Yep, just drop a blob of glue in there to keep the magnet in place - it doesn't need to come out ever again. Before that clean that area and the magnet of any grease; you could use some qtips for fine access.
Congrats for conducting successful own investigation and apologies for having to get through it.

I'm quite unfamiliar with everything and have been having the same issue, where exactly is the magnet?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 20:01

Do this:

1. Disconnect the joystick and take out the base plate by removing the 4 bolts:
1.jpg

2. Disconnect the 2 cables (1), pull them out from the guide (2) and unscrew the 3 screws securing the grip. Carefully pull out the grip, like here.
2.jpg

3. Take out the 4 screws, detach the springs and pull the gimbal unit out.
3.jpg

4. Take out the 4 screws and pull the Y axis unit out.
4.jpg

5. The Y sensor is behind this PCB.
5.jpg

6. Separate the 2 parts of the Y sensor unit. Try not to touch the grease.
6.jpg

7. This is the magnet, pull it out with another magnet or a large piece of metal. If it's really loose it should come out quick. Put a blob of plastic safe glue on its sides and fit it back inside.
7.jpg

8. Reassemble the joystick and recalibrate.

iamkermit

Postby iamkermit » Sat Jun 19, 2021 17:02

So after I have done all the steps none of the buttons on the joystick and the RZ Axis doesn't work anymore, is there any fixes or things I had done wrong? The Y Axis is completely fine though

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 20:20

Check the grip cable connecting to the base.

Tripalhelix25

Postby Tripalhelix25 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 15:28

Thanks for all the help with your posts and comments fallout9.

Creasy85

Postby Creasy85 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 16:42

Great guide! Had same issue with my new stick. This procedure solved the problem.

erotichamster

Postby erotichamster » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:12

I can confirm I had same issue and this guide fixed it.

Skwirl865

Postby Skwirl865 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 19:07

There should be a video for this on the vkb YouTube channel like the other tutorials fir programming and using the software. Those have been super helpful for many of us. I’m sure this would be too.

sloker

Postby sloker » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:55

fallout9 wrote:Do this:<amazing and detailed list of steps here.

This worked perfectly for me - thanks for posting such great, detailed instructions!

Skadabucci

Postby Skadabucci » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:59

I just wanted to say thank you very much for this post. It fixed my problem with Y drift.

Return to “Technical Support”