Worn cams

Moderator: AdminGroup

seventhseeker

Worn cams

Postby seventhseeker » Mon May 17, 2021 22:41

Hi,

I have a Gunfighter Mk. III + MGCU for just over a month, and one of cams is totally worn and somewhat deformed.

- The cams are factory installed (AVIA-S), and I have not changed them at any time.
- The bearings seemed well aligned, and bolts and washers well tightened.
- I checked the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRVab9Hq40Y&t=288s), and bolt, washers, and nut were installed in the correct order.
- I changed the springs (#40 + #20), but I never changed the cams.
- I have not used any lubricant.
- I have used it moderately, 5-6 hours a week approx.

cams04.jpg

cams03.jpg

cams02.jpg

Any idea what the problem is?

Thank you very much.

fallout9

Re: Worn cams

Postby fallout9 » Tue May 18, 2021 0:54

Manufacturing defect, sorry you got it this way. Please fill up a service ticket to receive a new set.

seventhseeker

Postby seventhseeker » Tue May 18, 2021 9:12

Thank you very much for your quick response.

I take this opportunity to say all the cams arrived with residues in the joints (attached photos).
I wanted to ask if this is part of the normal manufacturing process, or could it be a defect or deterioration during transport?

I ask to know if the rest of the cams could also be defective, or it was just bad luck.

Thanks again.

photo08.jpg
photo07.jpg
photo05.jpg

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue May 18, 2021 19:29

I can't quite tell what's that; if it's lubricant or grease just wipe it off. But if it's corrosion or oxidation, or if the top layer of the cams is scratched or damaged it's not good. Just add the pictures to your service ticket.

Melonfish

Postby Melonfish » Wed May 19, 2021 13:56

I've just received my Gunfighter III and my cams are in a pretty bad way, very similar to yours. I think this is likely a manufacturing fault of some kind. I've raised a support ticket, even the Avia-H ones in the bag are showing signs.
one of my rollers is also showing issues so that'll be fun too.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu May 20, 2021 12:05

In the first picture as I can guess the cam had been accidentally hit mechanically and then re-polished (but it didn't help). The core body of the cam does not rust, so what may look kike rust is likely a layer of copper that the core is coated with. The glossy outside layer is there merely for visual pleasure :)
However, like @fallout9 said before, the cam with such a defect should be replaced. A ticket at the dealership is the first step to make it happen.

Talking about some tiny crystals - we occasionally see them appearing here and there, not only on parts of the joysticks, but also on household items and whatnot. Just wipe them off, and they will be gone. The factory is in the tropics, only a few miles from the ocean. Might be salt condensation of whatever origin. So, not worth worrying about.

Please do open tickets like @Melonfish did in case of cam surface problem. Easy thing :) unfortunately just takes time for replacement to reach you. For this time waste we do apologize.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

seventhseeker

Postby seventhseeker » Thu May 20, 2021 15:27

Hi AeroGator,

Yes, I already opened my ticket #5069 as soon as fallout9 suggested it to me.

About the crystals, I figured it out, so I cleaned them and there are no problems with that.

Thanks you both for your answers.
I understand these problems can happen, luckily, you give very good technical support.

I can use other cams while I wait :D

seventhseeker

Postby seventhseeker » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:59

Hi again,

I changed the cams less than 2 weeks ago, and the new ones are starting to show the same problem.
I have reviewed the videos and other posts, and I have made sure the bearing is centered on the cam and it rolls correctly.
This only happens on the X-axis cam. The Y-axis cam shows no wear.

photo_2021-06-01_08-44-16.jpg

I understand the chrome layer is not important, as the steel is underneath. But reading the responses of other posts, ir's says that should not happen.
I also don't think it's good to have traces of chrome and copper inside the gimbal.

Could this be a problem elsewhere on the gimbal?

Thanks!

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 17:57

Please update your service ticket with pictures and request for new set.

WelshZeCorgi

Postby WelshZeCorgi » Tue Jun 01, 2021 18:30

I had a similar issue. It turned out that I was missing the spacer between the cam and the base that you attach the cam to. Because of that, it did not have the appropriate space needed to clear the moving cam from other parts of the system, grinding it up against some part or other and causing the cams to artificially wear out. I would try to move the stick around while watching the cams to see where the cam is making contact then add a washer (or two) to give the needed clearance.

seventhseeker

Postby seventhseeker » Tue Jun 01, 2021 22:23

Thanks @WelshZeCorgi,

I already tried to move the axis, and in both cases the bearing rolls correctly and is centered. I don't appreciate any undue friction.

I added the new photo to the ticket as @fallout9 suggested, but I'm concerned that 2 different cams will wear out on the same X-axis, when there is no wear on the Y-axis.

That makes me think the problem is not at the cams, as the first cam was damaged with factory installation, and the second I installed identically.

seventhseeker

Postby seventhseeker » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:17

Hi again,

Sorry to insist, but I've been watching the gimbal carefully to try to find the cause of the problem, and I hope someone can help me.

I have taken better pictures to show cam alignment, and I have found it's impossible to fully align the cam of the Y-axis (in my previous message I said X-axis, but it was a mistake).

At photo 1 we see the factory installed X-axis cam, perfectly aligned.
x-axis-factory-installed.jpg

At photo 2 we see the factory installed Y-axis cam.
It has a washer separating the cam from the gimbal, and this causes it not to be perfectly aligned.
Here the cam wears out in a few days.
y-axis-factory-installed.jpg

At photo 3 we see the Y-axis cam after removing the washer.
Here the cam is very close to the gimbal (it doesn't rub) and it's not perfectly aligned either, but it was still worn.
y-axis-washer-removed.jpg

As you can see, there is no way to align it perfectly.

This is a problem? It can be fixed?

Many thanks!

Return to “Technical Support”