Bind X and Y AXES TO WASD keys

Moderator: AdminGroup

mackerel

Bind X and Y AXES TO WASD keys

Postby mackerel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 23:47

Hi,

i want to assign the joystick axes for movement and for so WASD keystrokes from keyboard.

I have succeslfully gotten all buttons to keystrokes working but cannot get the X/Y AXES to do the same.

It would be awesome if you could help me doing that. Maybe i am just stuck in the way i did it with my Thrustmaster Wathog Stick, that the VKB should replace.

THX a lot!

Stefan

fallout9

Re: Bind X and Y AXES TO WASD keys

Postby fallout9 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:24

Do this:
1. In Global/Common check the FA box, then activate keyboard (1,2 in pic1);
2. In Profile/Buttons click on the cell representing the button 73 - 1 in pic2 (you could use any other buttons numbers, but be careful not to assign to buttons already in use);
3. In the new window click on the logical representation of that button (2 in pic 2), then set it as keyboard D (3 in pic 2); do the same for the next 3 buttons: assign button 74 to keyboard A, button 75 to keyboard S, button 76 to keyboard W; close that window;
4. In Profile/Axes/Axes2Buttons set the Type of axes X and Y as Edges 2 (1 in pic 3), VBut1 to 73 for Y and VBut1 75 for X; press Set to save.

a1.JPG

a2.JPG

a3.JPG

mackerel

Postby mackerel » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:31

Awesome!

Thank you very much for the fast reply!

Done and tested.

WASD itself works now.

mackerel

Postby mackerel » Wed Apr 14, 2021 13:41

2 things i need to solve is reducing the deadzone now (keystrokes activate only when stick pressed to 100%). I need a deadzone as small as possible without accidental keystroke activation. Tried hysterisis but it doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.

Second issue is that diagonals don't work. Any idea how i get both keys activated at the same time? e.g. W/A for strafing forward left.

Thx

mackerel

Postby mackerel » Wed Apr 14, 2021 23:37

update

i am getting better results using joy2key program.
but i have some false inputs or bad tracking. but diagonals work and no need to move stick to 100% anymore until keystroke activation.

i am sure it is possible to somehow get it done with the config tool.
it is just not so easy to understand, since i have problems finding out what all the parameters are.

i really prefer the shorter button presses etc.compared to my Warthog stick, but Target GUI is quite a bit easier to understand and use.

Maybe there is a chance to make something like that in the future?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:20

If you'll set up the Hysterezis in Axes2Buttons panel to 5% I think you'd get close to what you want.
Target is nowhere close to VKBDevCfg's complexity, that's why it might appear easier to understand; it's like comparing a balance bike with a car. It could take a while to figure out the native software, but it's rewarding in the end. Nevertheless, please ask away any other questions you might have about it.

mackerel

Postby mackerel » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:01

I am sure VKBcfg is much more complex and gives a ton more possibilities, it's just that i do not get it to work properly.

I tried Hysterisis 5%, but still the stick action comes very late and in game stops command from time to time.

I just explain what i need it for.
I play First Person shooters with joystick and trackball for over 20 years now.
First with a Madcatz Panther XL that i modded to a Logitech mouse input for aiming and the last couple of years with a Thrustmaster Warthog stick.

Setting up the axes in Target UI for WASD is very simple. However the buttons on the stick need to be pressed quite far. I already prefer the clickyness of the VKB Gladiator.

Basically all i need from the VKB config software is the virtual keyboard to get keystrokes from buttons and axes. The buttons were quite easy after you explained it to me.
Getting WASD on the axes works now too, but the keys activate very late at almost 100% travel. And diagonals do not work at all.

So i just bound WASD to the stick in joy2key and diagonals work and threshhold is fine too. So i am sure the information the stick gives is fine to execute the right commands.
but there is latency and some hickups here and there. The last thing you want in a competetive match of an fps game is having trouble with the inputs.

I need to get this working a little better before i can switch the sticks.

I will also try if joy2key can be configured better, but i was hoping to get it done just with the VKBcfg.

mackerel

Postby mackerel » Fri Apr 16, 2021 17:35

Well, what i did now is put the stick to factory settings, calibrate the stick in windows and just use joy2key.

This works without any problems concerning deadzone, threshhold, diagonals etc.

Kinda funny how this small freeware app gets the stick to work like i need it to in 2 minutes, after i spent several hours of trying to get it done in VKBcfg :)

The stick itself is great though!

Return to “Technical Support”