VKB Gladiator NXT X-Axis Jittering

Moderator: AdminGroup

Javers

VKB Gladiator NXT X-Axis Jittering

Postby Javers » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:57

My new Gladiator NXT came in today and I started messing around with it in DCS. Eventually I noticed the stick inside my plane was wiggling in a way I have not seen since using my very old CH Fighterstick with potentiometers. I decided to investigate using the VKB Device Configurator only to find that my X-Axis is indeed jittering exactly like those old potentiometers do. The only other flightstick I own is actually the Gladiator-K which does not have this issue at all. Is this a normal thing for the NXT? Is there something I did wrong? Or was I unlucky enough to receive a lemon?

Clip of the jitter seen in device config:
https://streamable.com/5r5b9o

All Y-Axis movements are my own doing, zero jitter.

fallout9

Re: VKB Gladiator NXT X-Axis Jittering

Postby fallout9 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:05

Hi Javers. Let's try with a new set of software and firmware first.
Please flash the file called _Gladiator_NXT_v2_03_6.vkb from the link above using the updated software. Don't forget to press the Default button after flashing and calibrate afterwards.

Javers

Postby Javers » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:53

Tested the software and firmware you linked and it seems to have fixed the problem! Very weird, is there an issue with the other version?
Last edited by Javers on Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:58, edited 1 time in total.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:57

Show the Profile-Axes tab from the configurator.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:58

Not sure what software version you were using (as the header doesn't show up in the video), but probably it wasn't compatible (too old perhaps) with your firmware.
Good to hear you've got it fixed; could you please update the Reddit thread for future reference?

Javers

Postby Javers » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:03

Here it is plus the new X axis behavior:
https://streamable.com/u13tf8

Also is the red light supposed to be blinking? The blue light stays solid until the red light blinks, and the red light is constantly blinking.

EDIT: The original software I was using was VKBDevCfg-C_v0.91.78

That's what downloaded when I went here:
https://vkbcontrollers.com/?page_id=4609

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:08

As I said above, you have to calibrate it. Do this:
1. go to Test/Axes1;
2. go to Tools and press Start Calibr.;
3. move the joystick along pitch and roll axes, twist it, press on the A1 center button until the red round LED lights up on the grip and then move the ministick up/down and left/right (if you have the Premium version) and move the throttle up and down;
4. press End Calibr when done with above and you're good to go.

Javers

Postby Javers » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:13

Gotcha! Thanks for the help, I very much appreciate it. I'll update the reddit post.

Javers

Postby Javers » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:50

Well it seems the issue may not be entirely fixed. Started my PC today, booted up DCS, noticed none of my stick inputs were responding. Checked the software and none of the axis or button inputs were activating. Tried defaulting the stick, restarting, recalibrating, nothing. I noticed it would keep saying "GET NXT ACTIVE CFG - FAILED" in the top right but I assume that's only because I have no config files saved. I then tried flashing and updating the firmware which caused the stick to be responsive again, but if this is something I'm going to have to do randomly on restart then there's clearly a problem here.

EDIT: I'll post if it happens again, test restarted once and it was still working.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:39

Plug it into computer next time, not in an USB hub (if that's the case).

Javers

Postby Javers » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:35

Still having issues with my stick not responding after a reboot. I even try unplugging it and plugging it back in again and it remains unresponsive, usually with a "CRC Error" with "read data error" and then it also says "Read peram failure" in the top right of the software. It's plugged directly into the PC, I've tried different ports, always the same. I actually just upgraded my motherboard so it's a completely new board with the same problem.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 19:12

Is it that your stick is not responding after a reboot or the software?
The reason your software is not working is that it's getting blocked by other software running in the background on your computer, like Aorus, Logitech, Razer etc. Kill those programs or reboot in safe mode, start VKBDevCfg as Admin (download a fresh updated copy), re-flash your stick, reset it to default and re-calibrate.

Javers

Postby Javers » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:54

I believe it's the stick. I also own a Gladiator-K and do not have this issue.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:32

Could you check? Having both joysticks plugged in and showing the same issues would mean one thing while one joystick acting up and the other working fine could mean another.

Javers

Postby Javers » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:26

So I tested it for a few reboots the past few days. No issues with the Gladiator-K, but the NXT would often not be responsive until I reflashed it. I tried rebooting in safe mode, selective boot, etc. and nothing changes, there's no program interfering. It seems to be an issue with the stick itself from my perspective.

Return to “Technical Support”