MCG Modern Combat Grip (Stand-Alone)

Moderator: AdminGroup

Phantom_Mark

MCG Modern Combat Grip (Stand-Alone)

Postby Phantom_Mark » Sat Jan 23, 2021 15:43

Sorry for the seemingly stupid question here......

I am building a new Microsoft ForceFeedback 2 based flight stick here, currently I have one build using a CH Fightstick handle grafted on to the MSFFB2 base, the Fighterstick handle has its own USB board and USB connection which runs independently of the MSFFB2.

I am looking to do a similar thing with the MCG, if possible ?? when it says this is a stand alone grip does it mean the grip has its own controller board ? could I plug just the grip in so just the grip works ? or must it be connected to a VKB base for it to work at all ?

Thanks

Current setup......
stick.jpg

fallout9

Re: MCG Modern Combat Grip (Stand-Alone)

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 22:24

Sorry, the VKB software is not open source and the grip won't work on anything else other than a VKB base connected to a VKB controller (black box).

Phantom_Mark

Postby Phantom_Mark » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:54

Thanks for the quick response.

Shame nobody offers an alternative FFB joystick and I have to continue using this 20yr stick base :cry:

Thanks again

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:08

Why not? You can install MCG (of course, the physical installation is completely on you) with your BlackBox in parallel with the MSFFB2 controller - and each controller will be responsible for its own task. See how it was done here and here.

Phantom_Mark

Postby Phantom_Mark » Sun Jan 24, 2021 20:42

Well that is what I had hoped to do, the Fighterstick conversion I did above runs its own USB cable and controller card independent of the MSFFB2 base ?

Phantom_Mark

Postby Phantom_Mark » Sun Jan 24, 2021 20:48

BlackBox
are you suggesting the stick handle has its own controller board I can wire into a USB or something ? Physically putting the handle on the base is super easy, no issue there, just need to get the internals of the handle to talk to the computer.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 21:13

An MCG grip (or any other) connects to the X7 connector on the Blackbox controller. BB itself into USB. And nothing else.
BlackBox.jpg

Phantom_Mark

Postby Phantom_Mark » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:48

Thanks Ron, so to get the "blackbox" I would need to still purchase a stick base basically ? and then just use the whole thing as a pass through for the handle.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:28

Don't know where you're at but the blackboxes are available as accessories on the US distributor site.
https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=bla ... tand-alone
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Phantom_Mark

Postby Phantom_Mark » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:20

Right.......so forget the MSFFB2 as it is irrelevant :D

I buy the VKB stick handle, that has a wire coming from it I would then plug into the X7 socket of the BlackBox, then I would take a USB Cable from the Blackbox and plug it into my PC, from here the Flight stick handle would technically be fully alive and all the switches and controls working as expected, just not actually mounted to a joystick base ?

Thanks guys, really appreciate this :)

(Based in the UK)

TrueWeevie

Postby TrueWeevie » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:16

"that has a wire coming from it"

Nope and that's where you'll need to get creative. The VKB grips are designed to mount to the gunfighter have a set of 3 spring loaded pins inside the stem of the grip.

That stem has avoid and the pins are inside that 'poking downwards'

When you mount the grip on a Gunfighter base the pins each contact a plate and that carries the signal.

So I think you'd need to buy one of VKB's Gunfighter base to black box cables, remove a connector from one of the ends and open up the grip and find the three wires that go to these three pins and solder/mechanically connect the cable to those three wires.

Although now I think of it the cable seems to have four pins on it, is one a ground? I dunno. Anyway, I think you'll need more help with this than you've got already (especially given the low quality help I've provided!) :D

Return to “Technical Support”