switching joysticks for different jets

Moderator: AdminGroup

EXTRAEXTRA

switching joysticks for different jets

Postby EXTRAEXTRA » Fri Jan 15, 2021 23:27

how easy is it to switch between vkb sticks ? for example i use the f14 stick but then for the fa18 i would use the mcg stick. i know for thrust master sticks its pretty simple no firmware issues. what is the proper way to go from one vkb stick to another?

Drano

Re: switching joysticks for different jets

Postby Drano » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:23

It's really not that big of a deal but not as simple as just swapping the grip and going. You have to reflash the black box every time you change grips. Reason being the firmwares are set up for specific combinations of grip and base. You have to flash the right firmware so that the black box knows what's plugged into it. A product of the modular design. Once you have flashed be sure to default the stick and calibrate it. Then you can load your profile and roll.

Sounds like a lot but once you've done it a couple of times it's no biggie. If you're like me it'll probably take you longer to get the lock pins that hold the grip to the base lined up than it takes to do this!
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:38

There is a more advanced way to operate multiple grip.
This is the use of the only multi-firmware version NG (Next Generation).
The essence is simple - we flash it once and when the grip is changed, the controller automatically detects the installed grip and loads the previously configured profile.
Those, you don't even need to calibrate. Over time, simple firmware (not NG) will sink into oblivion and only NG will remain.
Therefore, I advise you to start using this more advanced version now. I use only multi NG myself.
The configurator is omnivorous, you don't need to change it.
The extreme versions are here, if you have any questions - we will decide.

cgz

Postby cgz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 14:11

Is it advisable to update to this firmware if you only use the mcg pro twist grip?

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 14:31

If you have one grip, then it is not advisable to use multi-firmware. You can use NG firmware for the corresponding grip.
The letters MK2 in the name of the firmware are for the plastic, black BB. Without these letters - for orange.

Drano

Postby Drano » Sat Jan 16, 2021 19:05

Ah cool! I haven't used the NG version. I'd read it did other special stuff but didn't know that was one of them. Only have the MCG-Pro. Can't imagine using another anyway as it's the best grip ever!
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

dburne

Postby dburne » Sun Jan 17, 2021 15:02

Drano wrote:It's really not that big of a deal but not as simple as just swapping the grip and going. You have to reflash the black box every time you change grips. Reason being the firmwares are set up for specific combinations of grip and base. You have to flash the right firmware so that the black box knows what's plugged into it. A product of the modular design. Once you have flashed be sure to default the stick and calibrate it. Then you can load your profile and roll.

Sounds like a lot but once you've done it a couple of times it's no biggie. If you're like me it'll probably take you longer to get the lock pins that hold the grip to the base lined up than it takes to do this!

Lol one nice change VKB has made with their new Ultimate grip. For those lock pins, they have put a notch on the back side and in the grip base where they slide through, so there is only one way they can slide into the grip now. Very easy.

rcflyinghokie

Postby rcflyinghokie » Thu Feb 04, 2021 23:35

Ron61 wrote:There is a more advanced way to operate multiple grip.
This is the use of the only multi-firmware version NG (Next Generation).
The essence is simple - we flash it once and when the grip is changed, the controller automatically detects the installed grip and loads the previously configured profile.
Those, you don't even need to calibrate. Over time, simple firmware (not NG) will sink into oblivion and only NG will remain.
Therefore, I advise you to start using this more advanced version now. I use only multi NG myself.
The configurator is omnivorous, you don't need to change it.
The extreme versions are here, if you have any questions - we will decide.

I just gave this a whirl today and it does not work with an MCG PRO. It keeps looking for an ULTIMATE and therefore shows the grip as not connected when plugged in.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:08

I know we've been discussing on Discord about it, but I'll leave this here for future reference: the issue is fixed by manually changing the device in Global/External/External devices.

Return to “Technical Support”