GF3 SCG Pro Update and Configuration

Moderator: AdminGroup

RN_Max

GF3 SCG Pro Update and Configuration

Postby RN_Max » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:24

After upgrading my Mk2 Gunfighter to Mk3 last year, I recently tried some firmware upgrades with a Kosmosima Pro fitted.

First was a trial of the NG multi-device beta firmware, but that had some issues, including not recognising button 5, getting stuck on profile 2 and intermittent device read errors.

To ensure that the issues were not hardware related, the firmware was changed to 1.97.6, following which all the issues disappeared. Noticing the recent release of firmware 2.007 I decided to upgrade.

My one piece of advice for all the other Alienware/Razer Windows 10 users having flash troubles is to flash in safe mode. Zbootloader-C has never worked properly for me on three different Win 10 machines in the normal OS environment.

Do you know what is far quicker and more certain than neckbearding about disabling individual software and settings to get to a clean boot? Just booting in safe mode ... where Zbootloader has worked every time.

After calibrating and saving the default coinfig, whilst checking the device parameters in VKBDevCfg-C, on the Profile - Axes page, some unfamiliar parameters were present in the logical axes tab.

Marvellous effort though it is, the NJoy32 Utility guide 2.11 is becoming unhelpfully dated, as it has not aged well against the changes to the software.

VKBDevCfg Common Axes BB GF3 SCG 2.007.jpg

I have some questions regarding the logical axes tab

What is the 2D Circular deadzone column for?

Why are my Y and Rot-Y axes ticked for 2D Circular deadzone?

What is the AaX parameter for?

I also have a puzzle regarding assignment of button 5 on the SCG Pro. On the button test page button 5 responds to the pinkie button at the bottom front of the grip

VKBDevCfg Test Buttons BB GF3 SCG 2.007.jpg

However, on the physical buttons page it is listed as the microstick push switch

VKBDevCfg Physical Buttons BB GF3 SCG 2.007.jpg

... and on the logical buttons page it is listed as not used (no more images will attach to the post).

This has me baffled and the available documentation doesn't appear to explain anything.

A long time ago on first setting up my GF when it was a Mk2, I remember following a guide that described how the GF axes should be configured by default. Unfortunately I no longer have any idea what the title was or where it was posted and I've wasted game time on a fruitless search to no avail. The main reason I'm looking for it is that there is no definitive guide in the product documentation that I can find, that describes or demonstrates the correct setup for each stick and grip.

Many questions I know, but I was expecting to spend far more time playing games with the GF, rather than tinkering with it.

RN_Max

Re: GF3 SCG Pro Update and Configuration

Postby RN_Max » Fri Jan 15, 2021 22:08

The Tech Support feedback has been really useful.

That aside for the moment, to add to the question queue I have another puzzle without the information to solve it. Still the same Gunfighter 3 with SCG Pro on firmware 2.007 and VKBDevCfg 0.91.7.3

I want to swap the order of the logical axes on my GF3, so that older games that only recognise four axes see the primary ones first. As Sod's Law would have it, the Z axis and Rot-Z axis are axes 5 and 7 by default, with the POV being in logical positions 3 and 4 I want to swap the Z axes to.

Back when my Gunfighter was a Mk2 I just mapped the logical axes in the order I wanted and set the physical bound axis by changing the AxID to suit. This worked and I was able to swap the POV for the Z axes, happily playing my ugly old games.

VKBDevCfg Swap Logical Axes Order.jpg

Now my Gunfighter is a Mk3 the same method does not seem to work. The POV Rot-Y axis has been stubbornly presenting as Joystick Axis 3 in game, despite being mapped to logical position 5.

Not having the information to do this kind of thing myself is driving me nuts. Particularly given the current alternative of dodging tumbleweed.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 22:16

You need to change the axis names to match the Windows ordering. To do this, call the list in the HID Usage column and there will be a default layout.

RN_Max

Postby RN_Max » Fri Jan 15, 2021 22:43

Many thanks for the response Ron61.

So the logical axes have to be in the order presented in the HID Usage drop-down list?

I don't understand how this will help put the Z and Rot-Z into the first four axes. Old games only recognise the first four axes and this is how I did it when my GF was a Mk2.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 23:00

If this option doesn't help, we have another one. You just need to know which grip axes you need after the two main X and Y.

RN_Max

Postby RN_Max » Fri Jan 15, 2021 23:07

I would like to have the yaw twist after X and Y

That is the Rot-Z axis, but does it need the Z axis to be recognised as well?

After that, the POV Rot-X and Rot-Y, so that they are still seen by newer games.

I have never had a use for Slider and Dial, they have just always been in the list by default.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 23:23

Apparently I did not quite clearly put it - I need to know which physical axes are needed after X and Y, microstick and twist axes?

RN_Max

Postby RN_Max » Fri Jan 15, 2021 23:37

Yes, twist and microstick axes.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 23:40

So it turns out five, but you need four, as I understand it? What order is needed?

RN_Max

Postby RN_Max » Fri Jan 15, 2021 23:50

X, Y , yaw twist Rot-Z first three

I used to then put Z axis in four. I'm not actually sure why, but I thought it was needed with Rot-Z.

(A side question? What is the D_MaRS Z Axis sensor for in the Gunfighter? Is it the physical yaw sensor in the grip?)

After that microstick Rot-X and Rot-Y in 5 and 6, many old games don't recognise microstick.

Games like the old Battlefield series titles cheat and hijack mouse axes for looking. Microstick can be set to emulate mouse for these.

RN_Max

Postby RN_Max » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:12

Temporary plan B for now ... untick Vs (make visible to HID) in logical axes profile for Axis 3 Rot-X and Axis 4 Rot-Y

Ugly workaround, but this bumps Rot-Z from axis 5 up to axis 3, then old games can use yaw twist, but with loss of microstick.

The axis order presented to HID should be configurable and there should be instructions

Return to “Technical Support”