Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Space Combat Edition - is generating a communication error on twist

Moderator: AdminGroup

Doohickey

Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Space Combat Edition - is generating a communication error on twist

Postby Doohickey » Sat Dec 26, 2020 21:54

Please see attached video. When twisting the stick it ends communication and ceases to function correctly - https://vimeo.com/494831778 - Note it struggles to complete left twist and will not do right twist. Only when I find the sweet spot will it end the communication error.

The stick is securely seated, firmware updated correctly and all the other features work.

It would appear to be a hardware issue. Any advice given would be appreciated.

Doohickey

Re: Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Space Combat Edition - is generating a communication error on twist

Postby Doohickey » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:59

After some further reading on the forum of users with similar problems and solutions offered, I gave a thorough internal visual inspection of everything I could and gave the contacts on the base and grip a cleaning. I placed it all back together and much to my disappointment the stick failed completely to communicate with the base. Ugh.

I then got the multi-meter out and started inspecting the twist unit itself which is essentially the bridge for the rest of the grip. Two out of three pins returned a continuity test, which lead me to believe something was amiss inside. Since my return options are next to nothing by living in Australia and purchasing from AliExpress, I took it upon myself to pull the twist unit apart and lo and behold - we have an air gap.

It should now simply be a matter of re-soldering and putting it back together. Hopefully.

Doohickey

Re: Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Space Combat Edition - is generating a communication error on twist

Postby Doohickey » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:45

Success!

The fact nothing was plastic welded or locked out by other means was a refreshing change. I love the unit and dry joints aside will continue to recommend it to my fellow simmers. :D

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 19:53

Fast find and quick fix, congrats!

quail_eggs

Postby quail_eggs » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:59

I just got into elite dangerous and love it so much I decided to pick up this flight stick to immerse myself in it even more. I was bummed when after 30 minutes of use it stopped connecting and the twist axis ceased working and the power to the stick cut out. After about 2 hours of trying to find the answer, I found this post and it was exactly what was wrong with mine. luckily I am into other hobbies that facilitate the need for a soldering iron or I would have been in the RMA process right now. Too much information but just wanted to say thank you for posting your finding and solution here so other people don't have to scratch their heads as long.

Return to “Technical Support”