VKB Gladiator mk2 flight stick won't allow screen to sleep

Moderator: AdminGroup

Assimilator1

VKB Gladiator mk2 flight stick won't allow screen to sleep

Postby Assimilator1 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 23:24

Firmware version: v1.85B
VKB device config 0.90.35, Njoy32 firmware v1.97.0

Watched for any uncommanded inputs when not using it, their are none.
I've disabled USB select suspend and all HID/USB power saving functions in device manager, none make any difference.
Using the cmd prompt and powercfg -requests only the folding@home client is listed and that does not stop the monitor from sleeping. With powercfg -devicequery wake_armed, only the keyboard is listed.
If I unplug the joystick, then the screen can go to sleep.

Today I went into the bios and changed USB wake option from bios to OS, didn't help.

This has been an ongoing sporadic issue since I switched to Win10, for more info and details of above see here - https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/win-10-monitor-wont-sleep-usb-selective-suspend-disabled-but-usb-controllers-sometimes-keep-the-monitor-awake.2576726/

This is driving me nuts, I have to keep unplugging the stick to allow the 2nd monitor to sleep (it's button is knackered), and then when I play Elite I keep forgetting to plug it back in and have to quit out to plug back it in!

PC specs - Ryzen 3600, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 32 GB RAM, RX580 8GB, 500GB Samsung 970 Evo+ NVMe SSD, 3TB HDD

Appreciate any help.
Mark

PS I originally posted the thread here http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4779, not seeing their was a separate forum section for tech support. Feel free to lock it.
Last edited by Assimilator1 on Sat Dec 19, 2020 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

Ron61

Re: VKB Gladiator mk2 flight stick won't allow screen to sleep

Postby Ron61 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:41

Which port is GL connected to - USB 2.0, USB 3.0-1? Show the Global tab in the configurator.

Assimilator1

Postby Assimilator1 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 16:32

The Glad is connected to a USB 2 port.

What am I looking for in the global tab?

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a general problem with Win 10 and any USB device, I've used these methods https://windowsreport.com/prevent-mouse-waking-windows-10/ to try and stop all USB devices (except the keyboard) from waking my monitor. None of them have any effect, I then tried to stop the keyboard from waking my screen, that didn't work either! (tried rebooting too).
I did once manage to have my CH pro throttle not wake my screen, but then later in changing settings to try to get the Glad not to wake it I unfixed that! :( , returning the settings to before didn't refix my CH pro not waking the screen.

So although all my USB devices wake the monitor (when they shouldn't), only the Glad instantly wakes the screen with no input (intended or otherwise), the others require movement (in the case of my CH pro throttle, potentiometer jitter!).

snp

Postby snp » Sat Dec 19, 2020 16:36

Or maybe smth about Ryzen 3xxx series power plans? I had no issues on my old Intel-based setup but now I also have Ryzen 3600 and the screen doesn't want to sleep at all.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 18:35

I just wanted to see a screenshot of the Global tab.
You have a very specific problem that is not confirmed by other users of VKB products.
It is very difficult to advise something here. Try to leave one monitor and check. Then turn off other joysticks and leave only GL and check.

Drano

Postby Drano » Sat Dec 19, 2020 19:00

I can confirm that this is happening to me too. Screen won't sleep regardless of the sleep/power settings. Unplug the stick and it sleeps normally. I'm running Win10/64. I don't remember this happening on Win7 but I could be mistaken.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

Assimilator1

Postby Assimilator1 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 22:00

Yea it didn't happen with Win 7 with me either, but I had an Intel setup then.

Ron61 wrote:I just wanted to see a screenshot of the Global tab.
You have a very specific problem that is not confirmed by other users of VKB products.
It is very difficult to advise something here. Try to leave one monitor and check. Then turn off other joysticks and leave only GL and check.

Ok I'll sort a screenshot tomorrow.
Can't turn off any joysticks, I only have 1 anyway (the VKB), and I have already narrowed it down to the VKB. Unplugging the CH pro throttle makes no difference (as long as it's not jittering).

I mostly only have 1 monitor on anyway (except when playing Elite). Either one will go to sleep when the Glad isn't plugged in.
Oh btw, I just updated the chipset drivers today, no change.

I could update the bios version 1 version, but it makes no reference to any USB improvements, only this -
Description
- Updated AMD AGESA ComboAm4PI 1.0.0.6
- Fix HDMI audio lost issue when use AMD RX570 vga card.

Which I don't think would be relevant?? AGESA is processor clock and temp control isn't it?

Drano

Postby Drano » Sat Dec 19, 2020 23:07

I forgot to add my Win7 rig was an Intel setup too. New rig specs in my sig.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 20:49

It turns out there is such a problem. I have not read it, perhaps you will find something new.

Assimilator1

Postby Assimilator1 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 23:35

Ah good find, thanks :), I didn't think to search for game controller! I expect they are much more common than joysticks. I'll read it through over the next few days or so.

skypickle

Postby skypickle » Thu Dec 24, 2020 23:57

I had the same problem. Interestingly, it is deeper than that. See this article
https://details-of-note.blogspot.com/

It seems NVIDIA Geforce experience is responsible.
Since I uninstalled my Geforce drivers with DDU and reinstalled JUST the driver WITHOUT Geforce experience, I have not had the issue.

Assimilator1

Postby Assimilator1 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:45

I saw that was responsible for some peoples problem, but as per the op, I've got an RX 580, which is an AMD card ;).
Thanks for trying anyway :)

Strangely, even when my CH pro throttle is jittering, as from today it allows the monitor to sleep, weird! But it will wake it with a big movement, which is how it should be! Except it's still set to not wake on activity!
But the Glad stick still won't allow it to sleep, jitter or not.

Assimilator1

Postby Assimilator1 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 17:46

As a temporary work around I want to disable the Glad in device manager, trouble is neither my VKB Glad or CH pro throttle name themselves :roll: , so I can't tell which is which.
I think the Glad is this one HID\VID_231D&PID_0121&REV_185;, can someone confirm? (Google was no help).
Btw, if it is, it doesn't have a power management tab, which is interesting because the CH throttle does, and that will allow the monitor to sleep (consistently) when it isn't jittering (it again won't allow the screen to sleep when it is now).
Also, when I plug in the Glad, as well as getting a 2nd 'HID compliant game controller' I also get an additional 'USB input device', so does that mean all USB devices get listed twice!? Interestingly all the USB input devices have a power management tab.

So can someone confirm the hardware ID of the Glad mk2?

Ron61
Here's the screenshot you wanted.
VKB device cfg global.png
cfg for Glad 2

snp
Sorry, somehow I overlooked your reply :oops:
Powerplan issues were mentioned in an article that was linked in an article that was in turn linked by Ron61, I'll give that a shot at some point.
Although I'm a bit concerned that messing with that could affect the dynamic clocking of my Ryzen.....

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:12

It is worth adhering to the simple rule of matching the versions of the configurator and the firmware.
In the very first line of the configurator at the top, in brackets, the recommended firmware version for this particular version is indicated. Higher firmware is possible, lower is not recommended. Look at the data you are interested in in USBDeview - a very useful program.

Assimilator1

Postby Assimilator1 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 23:34

Re the config, I merely downloaded the latest available from your site, I don't recall their being any requirements to match f/w and config version.

And thanks for the USBDeview tip, a very handy program :).
It seems the HID\VID_231D&PID_0121&REV_185 is the VKB Glad.

Return to “Technical Support”