Slow-motion NXT?

Moderator: AdminGroup

snp

Slow-motion NXT?

Postby snp » Mon Nov 30, 2020 14:08

Dears,

Not sure if there's something wrong with my NXT which arrived several days ago. The stick movement is really stiff. I mean, if I push the stick to max in any direction and release it, it returns to "zero" position really slowly, 1.5-1.7 seconds, depending on how precise I am on catching the time with my stop-watch.

For comparison, I have Gladiator Mk II and in the same test it returns to "zero" immediately, in a fraction of a second, wobbling a bit around the "zero" position.

Is it OK? Is there any way to make my NXT more responsive? If there is such a big friction somewhere, can it cause some damage after a while?

I'd appreciate any hints on that.

hon0

Re: Slow-motion NXT?

Postby hon0 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 14:19

https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments ... bout_lube/
VKB now use Nyogel 767A damping grease, which is the grease usually recommended for TM Warthog stick gimbal, throttle, also the TWCS and T16000, VKB twist axis as well (I sure appreciate my SCG twist much more since I applied 767A on it).

Below is a video showing how to change Gladiator NXT gimbal grease if you would like.
https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments ... _to_video/

And here another one showing how to regrease SCG and F14 grip.
https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments ... rease_how/

Here is a forum post talking about some other grease :
viewtopic.php?p=43282#p43282
VKB Devcie Config v0.91.26 - Firmware version: v1.994

snp

Postby snp » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:35

So should I assume that it's a feature, not an issue, and everything is fine with my NXT? Nothing's gonna break due to stiff movements? And the only way to make things better is to regrease the gimball using some different grease like 774VH (which don't seem to be available in my country, by the way)?

I use NXT as a left-hander in HOSAS setup, so the slow-motion it's not really an issue for me. I can't see using it as a right-hander, though. Ability to do quick moves, which I find necessary for space combat, is too low in my opinion.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 19:14

It is definitely a feature. And if you don't like it you could regrease the components as shown in the video. You don't have to use 77vh, that was just an example, you could use whatever grease you like. But making the joystick faster it won't make it better in my opinion. A joystick could never be as fast as a mouse, but it comes with 3 axes that you could use to match mouses' 2 axes and faster speed.

snp

Postby snp » Mon Dec 07, 2020 15:56

All clear now, thanks!

TrueWeevie

Postby TrueWeevie » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:14

fallout9 wrote:It is definitely a feature. And if you don't like it you could regrease the components as shown in the video. You don't have to use 77vh, that was just an example, you could use whatever grease you like. But making the joystick faster it won't make it better in my opinion. A joystick could never be as fast as a mouse, but it comes with 3 axes that you could use to match mouses' 2 axes and faster speed.

Yep, people just don't seem to get that deliberate smooth inputs, where you've predicted the required manoeuvres (for example, your opponents vector changes) are better than panicky snap movements, where you're always in catch-up reactive mode, whatever the sim/game.

It just takes effort and a bit of practice.

I blame too many years of nonsense twitch first person shooters! ;)

elmalloc

Postby elmalloc » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:04

Hi,

Is this why my December 2020 NXT Premium is so different than my October 2020 NXT premium, neither have been used?

For HOSAS I want both to perform the same, not like this. What should I do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMDU9NRERQ0

Thanks,
ELmO

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:11

The reason why they act different is that each has a different type of grease. I would suggest to use them as they are and you'll get used to in no time; but if you can't really live with it you could just follow the regrease videos and apply same grease on both.

elmalloc

Postby elmalloc » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:26

Sorry, I created a reply also because I thought my reply might not get the moderated wait time that my new thread did. This is not my thread.

I'm not going to use these sticks as they are out of the box, they are severely varied in how it feels. If you work for VKB, I don't understand this response from customer support?

if I regrease the October 2020 stick, which grease do I use to match the December 2020 stick, and will it void a warranty?

I want both sticks to feel the same.

Thanks,
ELmO

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:28

Your hands are also different, one certainly is stronger and with higher dexterity. The brain also has 2 different sides. I wonder how we can survive without perfect balance. From another angle, with HOSAS you have 2 joysticks - 1 used for translational motion, the other for rotational. Both totally different types of actions. Why would the joysticks should be twins then?
Anyway, the grease VKB uses is custom made and cannot get purchased from stores. So the idea is, if you want them to be identical twins, to procure your own grease, clean up the old grease by following the guide posted above and regrease them. Please be careful what kind of grease you'd be using, as if it's melting the plastic or corroding the circuits or wires you might lose warranty.
Good luck.

Return to “Technical Support”