Kosmosima secondary trigger problem

Moderator: AdminGroup

matthias1

Kosmosima secondary trigger problem

Postby matthias1 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 14:00

Good morning,

I have a problem with my Kosmosima (Right) grip, the secondary trigger plastic piece is broken and I am waiting for replacement (ticket is opened, I hope for a quick reply there).

I would like to comment the technical issue here, though, apart from the solution via the ticket. Unfortunately, I need to describe what would be much more easily explained in a drawing...

So, the secondary trigger piece is the trigger part operated by the finger, about 2.5cm long, in its back there is a "center ring" which is sittig on a plastic axis which allows for rotation in both directions to operate the two button functions the trigger offers, pull and push. On the same "center ring" there is a second, much shorter arm (maybe 0.8cm?), which operates the "trigger pulled switch".

Obviously, the shorter lever will be able to multiply the force applied to the trigger... much too much force for just a small switch.

This is why there should be a hard and robust stop to the turning motion, after the switch is operated but before there is too much force onto the switch, otherwise the short lever for the switch will break in the corners where it converts into the "center ring" when the trigger is pressed too hard, see
X951xRfdYIz6N6ijKUkIEBlgkrkKx9LQ8A.jpg

This is exaclty what has happened to me. There is a hard stop, but it does not feel very robust, and I am not sure, where it really is. The "center ring" has another "bump extension" which might operate as stop when touching the PCB which also is the carrier of the switch - there I had a white powder like from wear, see
EUXH6jVzlvtrQunznTalFH-ocYZ7Js89JA.jpg
, maybe the stopping function has been worn away? The forces produced at this point also are really big because of leverage, pressing to hard causes even the trigger axis to move. Better would be a mechanical stop right in the trigger lever, maybe not possible because there you have the main trigger and not some hard wall that could serve as trigger.

I might get told that I just should not press the trigger harder than until it triggers the button - true but I play in VR and sometimes, my weapon has not recharched and I might press too hard and I do not hear the click. But from there on, the mechanical design favors mechanical damage to the switch or trigger lever, it seems to me.

I post this because I hope to get a suggestion for a durable solution. Also, I might inspire a design change for next generations?

Cheers

Matthias

wolph

Re: Kosmosima secondary trigger problem

Postby wolph » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:47

Hi,

This seems similar to what I've found with one of my grips:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4816

matthias1

Postby matthias1 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:39

Hi Wolph,

thanks for you comment, I have answered to your original post.

Time to post a closing update here - the support from VKB europe was excellent. I received a new trigger lever and I am killing space ships happily ever since.

But I have removed all fire functions from that trigger. VKB has told me that this problem is not common, but I still believe that the trigger is not well protected against excessive force, and I was pulling hard sometimes in combat, when the weapon was recharging and I did not get feedback through a firing weapon - the click can go unnoticed in these moments, more so as I play in VR.

Just my 2ct!

Best regards,

Matthias

wolph

Postby wolph » Sun Nov 29, 2020 21:34

Thanks Matthias!

wolph

Postby wolph » Mon Nov 30, 2020 0:53

Hi Matthias,

Please take a closer look at my post. I have two Kosmosima's and one of them has no resistance at all on the rapid fire trigger. When taking this working grip apart there is plenty of clearance between the rapid fire trigger & the PCB. On the 'broken' Kosmosima, the trigger is actually hitting the PCB which creates the resistance. It also grinds on the PCB and creates the white powder we're both seeing.

I think if you're still feeling resistance you may have the same ongoing problem as me, where the PCB is mounted too close to the rapid fire trigger allowing them to touch when the trigger is activated.

I'll be taking apart my 'broken' Kosmosima and reseating everything which will hopefully provide clearance between the trigger & PCB, as per my working Kosmosima. I will let you know how this goes - as it's possible you need to do this too.

matthias1

Postby matthias1 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:01

Hi Wolph,

no resistance here, after the exchange if the broken lever.

Cheers,

M.

Kaarno

Postby Kaarno » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:23

Thanks for posting this. I have the same issue.

The rapid fire trigger seems to have too much travel, so using it as a trigger causes it to break.
It was my secondary trigger, so not fired often, but even so, the plastic is weak enough to crack.

I have contacted my Asia/Pacific authorised dealer (Ali) who have failed to respond.

In honesty, I expected a little more from a product at this price point.

prainx

Postby prainx » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:35

I have the same issue. My left rapid fire trigger broke right above where it hits the button on the pcb. Is there a part I can order to replace it?

matthias1

Postby matthias1 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 19:29

Not sure if VKB tracks such an old issue, better open a new thread if you need a new trigger. I got one, no hassle, but yeah, not the strongest design.

Return to “Technical Support”