configuring new control

Moderator: AdminGroup

garybuyit

configuring new control

Postby garybuyit » Fri Oct 16, 2020 21:24

I have the Gladiator NXT, (premium), right hand grip. Was able to calibrate it with the You Tube video, but I am unable to program the buttons. Cannot find the VKBDevCfg, wherever that is located. Please give me specific web address to find it. Thank you.

fallout9

Re: configuring new control

Postby fallout9 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 21:26

garybuyit

Postby garybuyit » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:55

Fallout 9 . . .
I used your link, downloaded, then opened it, but Windows then told me "Windows protected your PC
Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.
App:
VKBDevCfg-C.exe
Publisher:
Unknown publisher "

Then was given the choice of CANCEL, or RUN ANYWAY, and I chose Run Anyway, and it opens a truncated configuration window. Very few options. And I can't open any of them. Nothing on the page is "clickable". It's all dead. I can look at it, but not use it.

What to do now??
Gary B.
Attachments
2020-10-18.png
2020-10-18.png
2020-10-18.png

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:57

Don't worry about the executable being flagged by Windows Defender, there's no virus for sure.
Now you'll only have to click on your device name in the device list (blue box). Check these tutorials about using the software and here's the manual.

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:12

Thanks to Fallout!
Also look here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2112. You can find some useful info.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

garybuyit

Postby garybuyit » Mon Oct 19, 2020 23:37

Evidently the device name is the only place I DID NOT click before. Now I did, and am "in" the configurator. I'm busy studying the manual now.
Thanks for the info. :-)

Sure is confusing for a newby. I just want to start flying the Cessna 150! :-) MSFS knows there is a controller connected, but it won't work yet. I did calibrate the stick, now have to figure out how to "turn it on" so MSFS
will recognize it.

Gary B.

garybuyit

Postby garybuyit » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:03

Fallout . . .
You wrote "Check these tutorials about using the software and here's the manual." The tutorial is about flashing VKB Sim Gunfighter Modern Controller, and I have the Gladiator Pro. I also read somewhere on the VKB site that a brand new controller does not need to be "Flashed", and should not do it.
1. Won't I goof things up by flashing for the wrong controller?
2. Several times I tried to open the VKB device config and I got the wrong config page . . . see screenshot below.
It seems to be the wrong device configurator. What could I be doing wrong?

The 144 page manual is driving me nuts it is so complicated. Cannot find a way to program buttons or the Hat switch. Is there someplace less complicated to activate this piece of hardware? Before I started this, I thought I was computer savvy, but now?? I'm losing confidence.

Thanks,
Gary B.
Attachments
2020-10-22.png

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:59

Hi again Gary!
The link I posted is actually directing you to a playlist of videos. If you scroll down the videos in that list you'll find out 4 short tutorials about doing stuff in VKBDevCfg (more to come). You are also right, no reason for you to reflash a new device.
But first you'll have to fix your device: click on your device (HID compliant line in the blue window), click on the Action tab, then click on the Restart button. After it restarts click on the Tools tab, then on the Default button; after it restarts just re-calibrate and you're good to go - you could make changes and experiment on your own; if something goes wrong just press again the Default button to revert to factory settings and re-calibrate.
If you know where you want to get with programming your device you could ask here and someone could help; if not just go ahead and experiment on your own! Good luck!

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:17

Gary, your screenshot shows that you pressed Bootloader button. After this action ZBootloader (saved in the same folder) must be launched and configurator window closed. The device in your list is controller in firmware upgrade status, not working. Configurator and flasher must NOT run simultaneously. Close configurator, launch Zbootloader and flash controller or press Reset.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

garybuyit

Postby garybuyit » Mon Nov 02, 2020 0:25

I think the joystick is now configured OK. Found the video to bind the stick to MSFS . . . but which is X axis and Y axis? Moving the stick fore and aft = which axis? Moving it left and right = which axis?
Thanks,
Garybuyit

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:40

Move the stick forward - backward is pitch (Y axis) and moving stick left - right is roll or yaw in some cases (X axis).

garybuyit

Postby garybuyit » Sat Nov 07, 2020 22:22

Fallout 9 . . . . Thank you.

garybuyit

Postby garybuyit » Sat Nov 07, 2020 22:38

Trying to bind the stick to MSFS, and at this point, want to use either F1, F2, or F3 buttons on base of the stick for "gear up" and "gear down". and use one of them for the brake. However, cannot find in the manual how to do this. Cannot even find the buttons identified in the manual. (at this point, I have not purchased pedals)
Also want to bind the throttle control, which is just below the F1, F2, and F3 buttons, but again, can't find it in the manual.
Can you point me to instructions ??
Thank you,
Gary B.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:28

Open the game, go to Options, then Controls and select your Gladiator NXT on the horizontal line of devices. Change the Filter on the left side to ALL. In the center of the screen navigate to Landing Gear section, find the Gear Down control, click mouse in the box closest to it; in the new window click mouse in the Start Scanning box, then click on your desired joystick button. After the successful binding click on Validate button to save and close the window.
Do the same for the rest of the controls.

garybuyit

Postby garybuyit » Sat Nov 14, 2020 23:49

I have set several buttons on the stick, validated them OK . . . but:
(1) the throttle is not working properly. It does not move the RPM cockpit indicator at all. I had set it to 100%. There seems to be 15 or more throttle settings . . . which one do I choose?
(2) The forward/back, and left/right stick movements are working, . . . but way to "abrupt". Slight pressure on the stick should move the elevator a little, but it doesn't work right away, and I have to move the stick more, then the plane moves too abruptly. So I apply slight pressure to bring it back, nothing happens till I move the stick even more . . . and I get into this "overdriving" mode, plane starts hobby-horsing more and more. I have flown it enough to be able to turn, go up and down, but . . . almost always just a little out of control because it takes a ham-fisted effort to get the stick to move the elevator and rudder. Can't find a sensitivity correction/adjustment in the manual.

Is there something I am overlooking?
Thanks for any help . . .

Gary B.

Return to “Technical Support”