Gladiator K pitch axis "deadzone" ?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Reax178

Gladiator K pitch axis "deadzone" ?

Postby Reax178 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 0:13

Hello everyone, i bought and use the gladiator K since July/August 2020 and i have this issue since then. It's not a big deal at all and i can do with it, however i would want to know if it's normal or i'm doing something wrong.

Here is the first image
As you can see, everything seems right, there is a few small changes but i guess it's totally normal and it doesn't affect me.

However, if i put my stick a little bit behind physically (on the pitch axis Y), there is a problem :
Axis Y can move quite a bit, and i don't think it has anything to do with stick calibration since it's exactly the same when i push it in real life, the stick (the Y axis only) doesn't go to the center very precisely and there is a small area where i can release the stick and the stick will no move to the center (i don't know how to explain it, sorry if it's confusing).

That's why i'm asking if it's something normal ? Or if i did something wrong during the fitting of the stick with the base, it's not a big deal but it can be annoying when i release my stick and have to trim everytime to get it right :(

fallout9

Re: Gladiator K pitch axis "deadzone" ?

Postby fallout9 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:45

Please post a screenshot with Profile/Axes/ Logical Axes.

Reax178

Postby Reax178 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 14:00

Is it ok ?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 17:57

The Gladiator K is usually running with a deadzone of 5, yours is 1, so too low. Start increasing the DzLo by 0.5, pressing the Set button and testing again in tester afterwards until pleased with results.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 18:37

I advise you to uncheck the box opposite the second axis in the "2D" column and put 1 in DzLo, just like on the first axis.

Reax178

Postby Reax178 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 19:08

Thank you both for your help, indeed i don't have the "small axis jumps" now with a deadzone of 5 on both axis. However the problem is about the physical stick, it's not really a deadzone issue but i didn't know how to say it; when i move the stick (in real life), there is a small area where the stick won't come back to it's place (on the Y axis), it can be "too far" from the basic position of the stick thus adding a constant ~1000 difference without me touching the stick, like on the second image of my first post. I can add a deadzone to fix it, however if i do so, i lose some "center sensitivity", a little bit like a hotas x.
I don't think it has anything to do with the stick sensors since it works perfectly, it's just about the placement of the stick i'm not sure if it's something normal or if i didn't put correctly the stick on, even if i followed everything correctly like on the video.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 19:43

You are right, the sensors are fine, they're as precise as the ones in the GunFighter system. But the GunFighter system is all metal with different cams and various springs to adjust the return to center. There's no such option in the original Gladiator base; it's still better than any other brand plastic gimbal on the market, but it won't get as precise as the GunFighter system or Gladiator NXT. And that's because the plastic gimbal won't allow stronger springs and without stronger springs you can't have the same precision on returning to center like a metal gimbal confers.
So what I recommend is go with a deadzone of 2 in game and see if the ship is drifting (don't look at the numbers in tester, even if that shows the stick is not centered the game won't consider it). Increase the deadzone as necessary until your ship stops drifting. You could test to see if you're happy with center sensitivity; alternatively you could decrease the deadzone back to 1 and set up a button to cut off the pitch and roll axes (set them to 0 even if they're not on 0) and press that whenever you feel like taking our hand off the stick.

Reax178

Postby Reax178 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 19:56

Ok thanks ! I'll look into it, atleast i am reassured that it is normal and i didn't break anything :)

Escapetaxi

Postby Escapetaxi » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:17

I think the new Gimbal System in Gladiator NXT gets rid of this Issue. The Bridge, where the Pivot moves inside, has been removed.
Sensor is now directly attached to the Y-Axis, like in Gunfighter. Also Structure is now way more stable - therefore also less bending.

I have re-greased my Gladiator MK. II completly. And adjusted some smaller things. Deadzone of 0, little Finger lightly touched on
Joystick Head - registered by Sensors. :)

Sorry for bad English!

Return to “Technical Support”