Help: VKB-Sim Gladiator MK2 Pro Comm Error

Moderator: AdminGroup

LUV2FLY

Help: VKB-Sim Gladiator MK2 Pro Comm Error

Postby LUV2FLY » Fri Aug 28, 2020 21:14

Having several recent issues with this joystick. I am a newbie so I may not get all the terminology correct. Bought this VKB-Sim Gladiator MK2 Pro in November of 2019. Everything was working fine until a couple of days ago. I have used the stick successfully on X-Plane and 2020 MSFS on a Windows 10 PC. I noticed a flashing red light on the base. VKB Device Config app tells me that the Z axis is not working at all and I have a 100% communication error. X & Y axis work as well as the buttons.

I thought maybe there was an issue with the firmware. I successfully flashed with the firmware "_Gladiator_Pro_v_99_A.vkb". Initially I wasn't sure which firmware to use (too many choices) but did try "Blackbox_GF_TMW_v1_99_A.vkb" first which failed to load (so that wasn't it).

When I go to the Test Tab, Axis Z is 0 and doesn't move when I twist the stick. I've hit the "Default: button and tried calibrating but alas the Z axis doesn't respond.

In looking through the forum, I did see that someone thought an axis not responding issue could be an internal connection issue. My thought is to open the base and re-seat all the connectors. I also thought I possibly installed the wrong firmware. Maybe the firmware I flashed was for a stick without a z Axis feature.

I'd appreciate any help on this topic...Thanks

2020-08-28_14-10-33.jpg
2020-08-28_14-10-19.jpg
2020-08-28_14-05-29.jpg

Ron61

Re: Help: VKB-Sim Gladiator MK2 Pro Comm Error

Postby Ron61 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 23:25

Apparently, you were flashing with the wrong firmware. Your grip has a twist axis, which means that you need to use the firmware without the Pro prefix in the name. Choose _Gladiator_m1_99 _ *. Vkb. After flashing, you should reset the settings to default with the button in the configurator and re-calibrate all axes.

LUV2FLY

Postby LUV2FLY » Sat Aug 29, 2020 0:12

I reflashed with “_Gladiator_v1_99_A.vkb”. I did not see any firmware with the “...m1_99...” in the name. Assume this was a typo. I misspoke when I said Z Axis as the problem. That is the throttle which I have no issue.

It is what I think is the Rot Z (although not sure that is even right). It is the twist in the stick or rudder? control. Anyway the reflash did not fix it. I did hit the Default button and recalibrated. The light on the base continues to blink red very fast.

Any other suggestions. I did connect to another computer and got the same issue.

LUV2FLY

Postby LUV2FLY » Sat Aug 29, 2020 18:26

Guys,

I’m confused about the configuration software. The Gladiator MK2 Pro I have has two external connection “ports”. One is called Sys and the other is Pedals. I have nothing physically attached. As I mentioned before, my stick can be twisted for rudder control.

As I shared previously, I have a blinking red light on the base AND a external communication error as noted in the configuration software. When I hit the Info button, my joystick description says T-Link is supported.

So I’m thinking I have some parameter set saying I have Pedals connected but since there are none, I get this error. It would also explain why the twisting of the stick doesn’t do anything. The manual doesn’t share enough information to confirm this or say I’m on the wrong track.

Can someone share if my thinking is correct or totally bogus? If someone has the identical stick and no external physical attached devices, it would be great if you could share your global common & external parameter settings. I’d also like to see your Axis Profile settings.

And to be clear, I have gone through the calibration procedure but since the twisting of the stick isn’t recognized there is nothing to calibrate in terms of this rudder axis.

Thank you in advance.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 19:02

There is no twist axis on the GL Pro, so it is disabled in the Pro firmware (3 axis, check boxes En, Vs). And there are no settings for twist in External either. If you don't have pedals connected, you can disable these checkboxes on 6,7,8 axes. Therefore, flash with Gladiator_v1.99. * Firmware, reset to default and calibrate. If there is a problem, show screenshots of the Global-External and Profile-Axes tabs.
p.s. Question - do the grip buttons in the configurator work?

LUV2FLY

Postby LUV2FLY » Sat Aug 29, 2020 20:06

I do thank you for your help. Nothing else to do these days so troubleshooting my stick is a good place to put my energies.

I'm still thinking I didn't explain things correctly. My stick does twist and prior to several days ago, I had been using this for on the ground taxi rudder controls. Previous sticks I've had used to call this "axis" the Z axis. But in the VKB Configurator software my on-stick throttle controls the Z Axis. So I've pondered what is the rudder/stick-twist axis. Is it Rot X, Rot Y, or Rot Z. If you could explain this, that would useful. I am confused when you say there is no twist axis. That tells me I would not see anything move in the VKB Config software under the test tab WHEN I twist the stick.

Many days ago when I ran X-Plane and went to the Stick Settings, I would twist the stick and see an axis move. I think this was the Z axis. Now when I go there, I don't see any axis move when I twist the stick.

I have flashed the firmware you suggested (the one without "Pro" in the name). Nomenclature seems a bit off that I don't use the firmware with "Pro" in the file name as I have a Gladiator MK2 Pro. Just odd.

The only change I made was to disable axes 6 through 8. All the base buttons work BUT none of the grip buttons work. Don't know if this is a hardware failure OR an improper setting in the configuration sofware.
Attachments
2020-08-29_13-03-17.jpg
2020-08-29_13-02-18.jpg
2020-08-29_13-00-30.jpg

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 20:23

Could you take a photo of GL with the handle turned (twist) and the bottom plate removed. So that the mechanics are visible. Thank.

LUV2FLY

Postby LUV2FLY » Sat Aug 29, 2020 20:54

Here they are.
Attachments
IMG_8583 (Medium).jpg
IMG_8578.jpg
IMG_8579.jpg

LUV2FLY

Postby LUV2FLY » Sat Aug 29, 2020 21:03

Since the grip buttons aren’t working, I can check the continuity of the three wires that go from the grip to the circuit board in the base. All disconnected of course. If no continuity in one of the wires, the circuit boards are likely okay. If the wires are okay, then it could be a bad circuit board.

LUV2FLY

Postby LUV2FLY » Sat Aug 29, 2020 21:12

Maybe I misinterpreted what pic you’re looking for. The mechanics in the base don’t move if I only twist the grip, ie. not the X or Y axis. This is what should be expected. Looking at the Gladiator Pro disassembly on Youtube, the twist sensor is a magnet inside the grip. It is very close to a small circuit board (pickup sensor) that then connects to another larger circuit board in the grip. Wires then travel from there to the base.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 21:19

The GL Pro has metal mechanics and there is no twist in the quick release grip. These are the main differences from plain (non-Pro) GL.

MK1.jpg
GlPro_grip.jpg
GladiatorPro_6.jpg

Otherwise, everything is the same. Therefore, if the connection between the base and the handle is broken, then no buttons and axis of the grip will work. The LED configured for this event will blink (loss of bus communication). In the configurator, this will also be a video on the red communication bar in the Test-External Devices tab. Perhaps the integrity of the cable is broken or the contact in the connector in the base or grip has disappeared. You need to check (reconnect) this first.

27.jpg

LUV2FLY

Postby LUV2FLY » Sat Aug 29, 2020 21:30

Thank you so much for your guidance. Checking the cable/connectors will take some time. Will kill the rest of the day. I will post results tomorrow I hope.

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Sat Aug 29, 2020 21:33

Gl Pro has metal gimbal. You have non-pro version with grip. The last screenshots show right firmware. No grip buttons, no z axis. Error grip as ext device connection. Try to check 3-pin connector on controller board near 4-pin axis connector.
Axes data show they are not calibrated. Do it.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Sat Aug 29, 2020 21:35

I was late))) Thanks to Ron!
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

LUV2FLY

Postby LUV2FLY » Sun Aug 30, 2020 21:10

Okay. I pulled the 3-pin connector from both the base and grip per the attached pics. I checked the continuity of the wires. Black to black, white to white, and red to red. 100% continuity. I also checked that there was no short between wires. So I think the wire and female connectors are fine.

I thought about measuring the voltage between the black and red at the base. I don't know exactly what voltage to expect but maybe 5 volts. If I don't see any voltage, then I would assume that there is something wrong with the controller board. If I see volts, then maybe the problem is the grip circuit board.

What do you suggest?

If it is a board issue, is it possible to get a replacement board?
Attachments
IMG_8585.jpg
IMG_8584.jpg

Return to “Technical Support”