Gunfighter 3 - Space Combat - Premium Grip

Moderator: AdminGroup

dukat

Gunfighter 3 - Space Combat - Premium Grip

Postby dukat » Mon Aug 03, 2020 23:31

Hello,

I just received the Gunfighter 3 Space Combat Edition!

It did not come with a manual, just a 1 page quick reference guide.

Is there a manual that explains how to put it together, how to service it (what kind of grease, etc).

Additional I'm looking for an explanation on the additional cam it came with. What's the difference between the default one and the second set?

What are the button/circuit boards included in the bag for? Read somewhere they might convert one of the hat switches to analog?

Is the thumb hat switch analog on the premium? It feels analog but when I push it to the limit it has a button like click.

I found the software configuration guide online but nothing explaining any of the hardware.

Thanks for your help!

fallout9

Re: Gunfighter 3 - Space Combat - Premium Grip

Postby fallout9 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 23:38

Please check this guide to see how to change cams and springs, adjust dampers and install the grip properly.
Don't worry about grease at this point, everything is good as it is at least until you'll get comfortable with your device.
There are 4 sets of cams: Space-S(oft) and Space-H(ard), a more linear cam and Avis-S and Avia-H, a cam with a progressive resistance towards the end to replicate air resistance. Soft cams have a soft detent when crossing the axes and the Hard cams a more definite detent.
The A1 ministick on the Premium Kosmosima is both analog ministick and 8 way hat. The transitions between analog and hat is made by pressing the top button. The extra parts in plastic bags are a hat switch (similar with the other 3) to replace the ministick, a button to replace the thumb hat and a cover in case that, for some reason, you want to remove the rapid trigger.

dukat

Postby dukat » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:09

The stick has been assembled and I ran calibrate.

Testing the stick in Elite Dangerous.

There seems to be a loose zone when the stick is centered.
If I use the slightest pressure in any direction the ship will continue turning in that direction.

In order to truly center the stick I have to fiddle with the lightest touches to get it to stop moving.

How do I get it working so that when I release the stick it centers and there is no play in the center causing movement to drift?

Thanks in advance!

dukat

Postby dukat » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:21

I ran the Joystick test app.
If I center the stick, then very lightly push it in any direction, the meter shows the stick stays off center axis. It only returns to center if I move it significantly.

Does something need to be adjusted like the dampener or do I need to switch to the Avia-H cam to get it centering without drift?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:35

When it comes to joystick returning to center there are 4 factors to be considered:
1. Cams - there are soft cams and hard cams. For a precise return to center hard cams are recommended;
2. Springs - there are 5 sets of springs and each cam could load 2 springs; this means a lot of combinations. For a precise return to center harder combinations are recommended;
3. Dampers - these could be adjusted to cut off the stick oscillations. For a precise return to center the dry clutch has to be completely released;
4. Deadzone - by default it comes set up to 0.5. I could be easily increased to 1.5-2 without losing any input around center.

Best option guaranteed for the most precise return to center is hard cams with hard springs and dampers completely released. But this could still be achieved with soft cams and hard springs and no dampers. Or even with soft cams and softer springs and larger deadzone. As you could see, there are lots of options. VKB products are made to be messed with by the user. Whatever works for a person wouldn't fit in someone else's preferences, so you could adjust your device perfectly to your liking.

If you like your current set up, which probably is soft cams with soft springs and no dampers try to increase the deadzone a bit. And even if the stick doesn't return to center by itself just guide it there - how many times you leave your plane/ship flying unattended? :)

dukat

Postby dukat » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:25

I replaced the default springs with the 30's and it made a huge difference!
I still had to put in a deadzone of 1 but the drift has vanished except for small occasion.

I'm curious what the hard cam's feel like but am a little nervous swapping them out. Perhaps I should try 40 spring instead.

Thank you for the details above, that is very helpful.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:15

Hard cams have the axes detent and the center detent more pregnant.

You're welcome! :)

Return to “Technical Support”