Gladiator K rudder control question

Moderator: AdminGroup

AmpCat

Gladiator K rudder control question

Postby AmpCat » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:43

I recently purchased a L/R pair of Gladiator K controllers, and I was setting up some non-linear response curves for the axes. Once I figured out the EQ button check issue, things were going smoothly until I tried making the throttle slider non-linear. My goal was to make it require finer control on the low end (IE, more physical motion for smaller output), but that's not what happened.

What occurred was I instead got a reduced input and finer control in the middle of the throttle. So as I moved the throttle at a constant speed, while watching the throttle gauge it would slow down as it approached center, then once moving past center it would speed up again. I also noticed it has a dead-zone at the center of the throttle lever, rather than the ends. Is there a way I can get the driver to consider the throttle a single-ended control? So it would do 0 -> 100, rather than -100 -> 0 -> +100, and likewise apply dead zone and the equalizer functions around one end being zero, rather than the middle? Games interpret it fine (if set single ended in the game), it's just the diver features like the built in dead zone or equalizer that are funny.

fallout9

Re: Gladiator K rudder control question

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:11

The Response curve shows only half of the axis, with the low deadzone in the lower left corner and high deadzone in the upper right corner. The other half of the axis is mirrored.
Let me see if I understand this right - you want the Y axis on your left hand GK to be a full throttle forward on the entire axis and not like strafe forward from middle point to max deflection and strafe backward from middle point back, right?

AmpCat

Postby AmpCat » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:09

Actually, I mislabeled this question. It's really about throttle.

I want the throttle axis (Axis Z in the default setup) with the lever on the left side of Gladiator base to act as the throttle. I then additionally use the Y axis on the left hand as a strafe, with forward/back like you're describing. That part works fine. The issue is the throttle on the base. This Z axis is what I use for cruise or throttle limits, depending on the game I'm playing. In either case, at very low speeds, I need finer control, and in neither situation does a negative value make much sense.

It seems with all the flexibility and control I've seen in the driver, I'm missing just some option to have the control be full forward on the entire axis.

hon0

Postby hon0 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:44

You have to un-tick the Cn box which will remove the "center" of the axis. Now low deadzone and high deadzone will apply respectively on min and max position of the axis. But I'm not sure if it will change the way the response will apply to the axis, I never tried that yet.
VKB Devcie Config v0.91.26 - Firmware version: v1.994

AmpCat

Postby AmpCat » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:56

The manual makes it very clear that for analog sensors (which this was set as, by default), you should never use that option. It might not be that strict, so I did try it.. but the axis doesn't behave properly. It seemed to have a dead zone about a third of the throttle throw. I can try fiddling with it some more, though, as that did seem to make the most sense to me.

hon0

Postby hon0 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:09

Ah yes indeed, then I would ask the feature to be added on the VKB software, it will be "needed" for the incoming TECS throttle anyway, and in the meantime I would use Joystick Gremlin.
VKB Devcie Config v0.91.26 - Firmware version: v1.994

AmpCat

Postby AmpCat » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:12

Well, clearing the 'center' flag (Cn) as suggested, then calibrating again, then playing with the bias to get the bottom end to match the physical bottom of the controller, then the lowering the multiplier to scale it back up so the top end reached the top, I still had to tweak KdHi upwards a bit to get full range. I then calibrated again, since I've seen it mess with these numbers after calibration, and it tweaked them some. It put KdLo to 255 (a sign that it's clipping, which is bad), but it seems to behave now.. The Eq option works as I expect, as does the dead zone.

I'm not sure this is the way it's supposed to be set up, but it seems like it might be okay. Here's the shot of how it's set up now.

Annotation 2020-07-10 011120.png

Edit: Yes, I'm fiddling with the right stick first.

AmpCat

Postby AmpCat » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:46

Well, another half hour of tweaking and I think it's performing well, but I'm still concerned that the settings I've used might not be what this was designed for. The fact that I'm not using centering on an analog channel as the manual states (maybe they meant analog stick?) and that KbLo keeps hitting the rail of 255 after calibration doesn't feel right.

All the tweaking to get finer control reminds me of what a difference having a proper throttle makes. Using my old Logitech throttle is clunky, but just the fact that it has a large handle with a long throw makes it so much easier for fine tweaks. Can't wait for the VKB throttle. Hope it comes before I get too impatient.

AmpCat

Postby AmpCat » Mon Jul 13, 2020 19:06

I don't suppose there's any input from VKB if this is the recommended way to do this? At the very least, I hope it doesn't cause any issues.

Return to “Technical Support”