Maruk

VKBDevCfg slowness

Postby Maruk » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:23

1 - VKB SCG v1.966
2 - v1.966 MK2 blackbox
3 - 2x #20 each axis
4 - Space Sim Soft each axis
5 - VKBDevCfg v0.91.30

I have been setting up my Kosmosima sticks today for flight, and have encountered some difficulty with the configuration program when testing to determine if my previous configuration still worked. The program is very slow to respond and never fully reads any stick input. I have tried VKB JoyTester and VKB BtnTester and have seen no issues with them - they read with no delay. Believing to have a bad download, I re-downloaded the software and the issue continues. Multiple reboots have taken place, alongside software updates. I have used my sticks both with and without a USB hub to determine if that had an impact and it did not.

Previously, I was seeing v00.56 : HID-compliant vendor-managed game controller as the device, and so thinking that it needed to be re-flashed I did so. Z-Bootloader responded with Error write data: 0 and hung. I then went though the manual (Controller User guide V.2.11) to determine how to fix this and came across section 2.2.2 Hardware Activation - short BOOT pins. After removing the bottom panel, I was unable to determine the BOOT jumper as the hardware layout has changed from the manual images. I then put the device back together to attempt one last time before filling out a ticket. No images were taken during this process - it should be repeatable.

I then started getting some even weirder behavior. The VKBDevCfg now reads the stick as VKB-Sim Space Gunfighter v1.996 : HID-compliant game controller, but Z-Bootloader sees no device connected (attached images DevCfg1 and Z-Bootloader 1). Following the Configuration video steps (and assuming that my old flashed firmware is still applicable), I pressed the Default button only to get a popup with a cat that read "!! PRO only !!" (no image as the pop-up refuses to appear now). I would like to have attached the Device Report (attached DevReport), but I have waited over 10 minutes and it has still not generated.

No other programs on my system have this behavior, and the DevCfg reads my left Kosmoisma correctly (but still slowly). I am at a loss about how to proceed here.
Attachments
DevReport.JPG
Z-Bootloader 1.JPG
DevCfg 1.JPG

fallout9

Re: VKBDevCfg slowness

Postby fallout9 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:04

Some things to try:
- connect your devices directly to computer (no hub or USB extension),
- run the software as Admin,
- kill some of the software running in the background (things like Aorus, Razer, Logitech are known to create interference),
- try a different computer.

Maruk

Postby Maruk » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:13

Devices are directly connected, and I have tried other USB ports and removing other USB devices.
The programs have been set up to run as admin in properties.
Programs were run directly after reboots, no other software was operating.
I will go test on another system and report back.

Additional information:
DevCfg was working just fine at initial configuration about a week ago when sticks underwent initial configuration, bootload and calibration. Devices were disconnected for photos as I am writing a review. Upon launching the DevCfg earlier in the day, these issues began occurring.

Maruk

Postby Maruk » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:27

Testing on my other system gave me the same initial error:
v00.56 : HID-compliant vendor-defined device

This was a fresh download off of https://vkbcontrollers.com/?page_id=4609

Primary device information: Windows 10 ver 1909 (Build 18363)
Secondary device information: Windows 10 ver 1903 (Build 18362.900)

EDIT:
Further attempts have resulted in a clean connection for my right joystick, but only after attaching my left joystick which read correctly. DevCfg shows no slowdown and Device report shows no errors.
Attachments
DevCfg.PNG
Last edited by Maruk on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:50, edited 1 time in total.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:38

Click on the device name in device list (blue box) and hit the restart button.
Don’t connect both devices at the same time when flashing.
You don’t need to short any pins.
Do not calibrate in Windows app.
Make sure all the necessary files are in the same folder.
Follow this guide for flashing your device: https://youtu.be/mCajFZ9e9gw

Maruk

Postby Maruk » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:47

Performed flashing of right joystick on secondary device after a good connection was created. Went through configuration and setup, then plugged it into primary device. DevCfg no longer has any runtime issues or exhibits slowdown during operation.

I believe that something may have been written to the black box incorrectly which may have caused this issue as the program may have been choking on I/O errors.

Thank you very much for your support with this, I had been going a bit stir-crazy for a bit trying to figure out what could have possibly caused this to happen.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:54

Glad you've fixed it. Device was in bootloader mode, not a big deal; could've been because you pressed Flash It! too fast while it was still reading data. And don't worry, it's really hard to brick or damage the Black Box :)
Don't forget to reset to default and calibrate after flashing.

Maruk

Postby Maruk » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:23

Now I have a bit of a new problem, if you don't mind me adding more on to this.

I have been trying to re-calibrate my right ministick due to a lack of consistency in the upper-right corner. All the other corners report back their maximum value (0 or 65535), but the upper-left varies anywhere from (809,0) to (1216,4608) while being very jittery and usually reports worse numbers once calibration is ended and one tests the ministick a bit. Even after multiple calibrations this problem exists of the upper-left not reporting back correctly, with the issue sometimes affecting the lower-right as well. Is there a deadzone setting that I should be configuring?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:19

Ministick is supposed to get calibrated on the opposite sides, not corners. Do not mind the numbers showing during calibration, just guide the ministick left to right and up to down so the slider ball reaches the ends on the tester and end calibration.

Maruk

Postby Maruk » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:50

I do cardinal directions for calibration, per the VKB youtube video direction. I then do full rotations after locking in calibration to see how far off the extremities are, the main thing bugging me here is one corner is always off - and always off by a pretty decent margin with lots of variance, jitter and non-repeatability. The JoyTester also picks up on this action, as shown in the attached screenshot. The surprising thing here is that the joytester reports that one axis is probably not calibrated correctly (looks like Y), but the DevCfg does (goes to 0 at max deflection to the top, but does not in Tester)?

And I'm back to having massive slowdowns on primary again, so let me get DevCfg numbers from the secondary.

Edit 1:
Strange thing is occuring: When performing ministick calibration along the cardinal directions, sometimes there is a glitch and the reading will display the other extreme for a brief moment. I had this happen twice - going to X=0 displayed 65535 and going to Y=65535 displayed 0.

Edit 2:
Recalibrated left joystick in full on secondary, no issues in tester on ministick. Redid calibration for right joystick and ministick shows a small rise over time in tester that you can see in the new image (due to ordering, it is the first one). About 3.5 lines from the left, you can see the rX axis bounce upwards while the stick is being held to the bottom-right position.
Attachments
right_mini2.JPG
right_mini.JPG
left_mini.JPG

Maruk

Postby Maruk » Sun Jul 19, 2020 0:16

Update:

Today I replaced the motherboard and reinstalled Windows 10. The slowness issue of VKBDevCfg remains, in that the program takes a number of seconds to react to any inputs. I need to be able to use VKBDevCfg on this machine and not have to constantly swap to my secondary machine so that I can set up and test my input curves.

Please assist.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 23:05

pantag

Postby pantag » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:21

I am experiencing the same VKBDevCfg lock. It happened right after I installed the new v1.99A2 firmware on my Gladiator MKII. The FW update went through fine. The issue started when I went in to VKBDevCfg to reset to default and to calibrate. VKBDevCfg is super slow or it will crash. I could do the reset to defaults but I cannot calibrate. If I use another machine to calibrate, do the settings get stored on the Gladiator or on the machine? (I assume of the joystick).
UAC in Windows was off, but it didn't make any difference.

UPDATE: I rebooted my machine after turning off UAC and VKBDevCfg now operates well again. I do not use the "Run as administrator". VKBDevCfg needs to be fixed on a future release.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:13

Thank you for suggestion, but I'm pretty sure the software works pretty well. Out of a few hundreds of people (if not more) using the software these days and only 2 complaints about slowness - I'm not an expert in software development, but I bet the issue lies somewhere else.

Return to “Technical Support”