Button Limitation Fix

Moderator: AdminGroup

Monkey Pants

Button Limitation Fix

Postby Monkey Pants » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:55

Hi There,

Started a new topic for this so others may find it :D

In a previous thread it was noted that there was a fix for button limitation in various games (Elite Dangerous is a ridiculous 32!)

Could someone please explain/point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

MP

Victorus

Re: Button Limitation Fix

Postby Victorus » Fri Jun 26, 2020 15:33

Mapping buttons tp keystrokes. And never think about button number.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

Monkey Pants

Postby Monkey Pants » Fri Jun 26, 2020 19:59

Thanks

Apologies - this is my first attempt at configuration: I have had this joystick for 4 days :)

I have looked under Keyboard Mapping section (5.4) of the User Guide but am none the wiser:

Tried the "Quick logical layer wizard" to change the button to the key press and set/saved but doesn't show up in Notepad when I press the joystick button.

Could someone give an explanation how to map a joystick button on the joystick to activate a keyboard key press please.

Maybe I should have posted in the hopeless noob section :)

Thanks

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 20:37

Try this:

- activate the keyboard:
1.JPG

-check in button tester which buttons are over 32. For the standard Gladiator K profile those would be buttons A-B-C on the base, so these should get assigned to keyboard in order to get recognized by E:D.

- click on A1 button on your joystick while you're in Profile/Buttons/Physical Buttons chart, with Poll option checked (on the right side): physical button 31 will light up; click on that button. In the new window click on the logical button:
2.JPG

and set it up as Keyboard:
3.JPG

You could assign any key to it, even in combination with Ctrl, Shift, Alt.

Do the same for all the buttons that exceeds 32. At the end don't forget to press Set in the Action tab to save the changes.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 20:48

There's another option that would split up the joystick into virtual devices, each with a predetermined number of buttons. Just set up the max number of buttons recognized by a game in Global/Common (for E:D that'd be 32, for SC 50, for Il-2 64); also set up the number of virtual controllers on the same chart: 0 is for 1 virtual controller, 1 is for 2 virtual controllers and so on. Set up as many virtual controllers you need to cover all your buttons (for example for a max 32 buttons game if you have 33 programmed buttons on your joystick you'll need 2 virtual controllers: first with 32 buttons and second with 1 button - the game will actually see your joystick as 2 devices).

4.JPG

Monkey Pants

Postby Monkey Pants » Fri Jun 26, 2020 21:49

Top Man!

Turn the keyboard on = face palm moment.

Would never have figured that out on my own.

Got it to work straight away

Thank you.

MP

zikolach

Postby zikolach » Fri Nov 26, 2021 23:59

fallout9 wrote:There's another option that would split up the joystick into virtual devices, each with a predetermined number of buttons. Just set up the max number of buttons recognized by a game in Global/Common (for E:D that'd be 32, for SC 50, for Il-2 64); also set up the number of virtual controllers on the same chart: 0 is for 1 virtual controller, 1 is for 2 virtual controllers and so on. Set up as many virtual controllers you need to cover all your buttons (for example for a max 32 buttons game if you have 33 programmed buttons on your joystick you'll need 2 virtual controllers: first with 32 buttons and second with 1 button - the game will actually see your joystick as 2 devices).

4.JPG

Thanks! Thos variant is much more convenient as mapping buttons to keyboard doesn't work for momentary switches (when one position is always active).

Return to “Technical Support”