Setting deadzone and curves

Moderator: AdminGroup

Grifter-RLG

Setting deadzone and curves

Postby Grifter-RLG » Mon Jun 22, 2020 18:18

Okay, so I believe this is a dumb question but perhaps someone will indulge me. Been skimming through the forums and it seems totally possible to just set my deadzone and curves in DCS rather than using the Configurator EQ response panel. Is this correct? I'd like to avoid using the EQ panel for the time being, if I can. I just need to tweak the deadzone a little bit. Perhaps, but most likely not, adjust curves ever so slightly.

Thanks.

hon0

Re: Setting deadzone and curves

Postby hon0 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 21:43

Indeed it is possible. But the VKB Software provide more customization feature. You can swap from a curve to another, turn on/off deadzone for exemple. We also have double rate, plenty of trim option etc. And circular deadzone.

The response curve tweak you do in DCS will be added on top of the response curve tweak you have done in the VKB software.
VKB Devcie Config v0.91.26 - Firmware version: v1.994

Grifter-RLG

Postby Grifter-RLG » Mon Jun 22, 2020 21:51

Thanks hon0. Yes the configurator is so robust, it's crazy. It will take me quite a long time to learn how to use it and realize it's full potential. I'm going to keep reading the forums for ideas and tips. In the meantime, using DCS curves will serve until I can develop a real sense as to how use the EQ to get the most of out of my stick. The precision out of the box is amazing, I think. I'm quite pleased with the engineering thus far!

Thanks again.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:00

If you want to have custom curves first thing is to identify the name of the axis you want to apply the curve to; could do this in the tester, let's say you want to apply same curve on pitch and roll, they're recognized as X and Y axes. Then go to Profile/Axes/ Logical Axes and find the number of those axes; for this example they are number 1 and 2. Now in Physical Axes panel check the Eq box for axes 1 and 2 - this means the curve will get applied on these axes. If you want to modify the deadzone you could do it in the Logical Axes panel, under DzLo; if the 2D option is active the deadzone will get applied for both axes.
2.JPG

Now go to Response Curve panel and click on the large white box when the first row is marked. In the new window draw your preferred curve, but be advised that what you see is just half of the curve with the lower deadzone in the lower left corner (the invisible lower half is mirrored). When done click OK so the window will close. Do the same after you select the second row
3.JPG

When done press the Set button in the Action tab.
This way the curves will get permanently applied to your joystick.

Setting up the curves in the configurator is more precise than setting them up in game.

There's also another option to get the curves on. Let's say you want the standard, unmodified curve for general flight and another curve for dogfighting. In this case you'll have to leave the Eq boxes empty (unmarked), fill up the curves as explained above and set up a button that will activate the modified curves:select the Poll option on the left side, press the button you want to be the curve modifier and click on the blinking button on the chart. Set up that button as Curves. Make it Alternate if you want the curves to stay active after releasing the button; you could revert to original curves by pressing the button again. You could leave the Alternate action box empty if you want the curves to stay active only as long as the button is pressed. Check the axes numbers below for the axes you want to apply the curves to (in this case 1 and 2). As usual, press Set button at the end.
This way the curves are only temporary applied to your joystick.
4.JPG

Grifter-RLG

Postby Grifter-RLG » Wed Jun 24, 2020 18:16

Very cool. I think the latter option is the way I might eventually go once I've dialed in what's comfortable. Doing so should afford me the latitude to test different curves out until I find what works me. Thanks Fallout9. :D

Return to “Technical Support”