VKB Device CFG NJoy 32 Bind Keystrokes and Program Microstick on Gunfighter Mk. III MCG Pro

Moderator: AdminGroup

Grifter-RLG

VKB Device CFG NJoy 32 Bind Keystrokes and Program Microstick on Gunfighter Mk. III MCG Pro

Postby Grifter-RLG » Sun Jun 21, 2020 0:10

Hi,

I've posted about this topic a few times now. My MCG Pro finally arrived the other day and I decided to set up today. Everything went well. However, as I predicted, I can't program all available input controls in Digital Combat Simulator (DCS) because DCS does not recognize inputs like the microstick (just below the red button on the grip) nor the handbrake. I've read the VKB CFG NJoy32 Software manual a few times now, but frankly it's over my head and I'm simply not following it. Most likely, I would bind keystrokes to the handbrake lever and my microstick. I'm not sure what keystrokes yet, perhaps to master weapon selection or control my countermeasures, or something. I definitely want to bind my TRACK IR reset to button 7.

I've looked for a video that would walk me through the basics of using this software for this purpose, but I haven't found one. Can anyone direct me to a video tutorial or perhaps help me program my microstick? While it would seem that DCS recognizes most hats and buttons, it does not recognize the microstick nor the handbrake.

fallout9

Re: VKB Device CFG NJoy 32 Bind Keystrokes and Program Microstick on Gunfighter Mk. III MCG Pro

Postby fallout9 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:09

It's hard to make a walkthrough because the software is omnipotent, there are so many possibilities and combinations to program your stick that it's very hard to get them all into a single guide.
Check this thread, where both ministicks (Gate Cont and Master Mode) are being programmed the same, with both axes and buttons modes: viewtopic.php?p=40321#p40321. There's a checkbox in there, named "POV mode on start': check it if you want the grip to start with the ministick(s) in POV mode, or uncheck it if you want the grip to start by default in axes mode. Also in the first picture I've posted in there you'll see POV Type set up as LoRes 8W, meaning there are 8 inputs per POV; if you want only 4 set it up as LoRes 4W.
When you try to program ministicks in DCS make sure you're in the right mode: POV mode if you want to assign buttons or axes mode if you want to assign axes. If you have issues assigning a button from the ministick for example, could mean that it's in axes mode, so press the center button for a few seconds so it'd switch to POV mode and try to assign again.
Same with the brake lever, that is an axis, you can't program it to a button function in DCS. But, through the software, you could assign up to 3 buttons to that axis. If you need more details about this process please let me know.

Grifter-RLG

Re: VKB Device CFG NJoy 32 Bind Keystrokes and Program Microstick on Gunfighter Mk. III MCG Pro

Postby Grifter-RLG » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:19

Thanks for replying Fallout9,

Yes I can see that this software is very powerful. I really just need a walkthrough on the basics, like how to setup a simple keystroke button bind to a button. That would probably help me a lot because the manual does not read very well and I’m having a lot of trouble following it.

I really appreciate your help. Are you saying that I can depress the micro stick outside VKBconfig software to switch it between axes and POV whenever I want, even in DCS? If so, that might solve many of my problems thus far.

Keystrokes to buttons:
Still, I’d like to bind some stuff outside of DCS to my stick and that will require I use the config software and button wizard I think. I really want to learn to use it too because scanning through these forums I can see it has enormous potential.

So, in the button wizard there are a 128 lines. Does it matter which one I start with programming? I guess you can check to see which ones are available by double clicking on the line number? I just want to start with programming My Track IR reset keystroke to a button. Can I just work with the physical later for now or do I have to program the logical layer to get the desired output? Does the register fill itself as you program the button wizard or do you have to directly interact with that? I assume I save all of thes keystroke binds to a profile, right?

I think this old thread may answer my questions: viewtopic.php?t=3095

Is there a reset to default if I mess something up? I’m not at my computer right now or would open the software to see if there is a reset button. Is that restart button?

I’ll keep poking through the manual and the forums. If you could clarify the above, I’d really be grateful! Thanks.

Grifter-RLG

Postby Grifter-RLG » Sun Jun 21, 2020 21:59

EDIT:
Okay, I figured out how to program simple button with keystrokes. Took multiple readings of the manual and some related forum posts, but I got there.

Found a post by you, Fallout9, that explains exactly how to do what I wanted! Thanks so much! viewtopic.php?t=4330

Now I got to set the brake so I can bind a keystroke to it. I will look on the forums. I'm sure you've answered this question somewhere.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 22:41

I will try once more to explain step by step how to make both ministicks on the MCG Pro grip to act in 2 modes - POV buttons and axes. By default, the MCG Pro comes with Master mode set up as POV and axes, with POV in primary mode; Gate Cont comes set up as axes only. Here's how to set up Gate Cont similar with Master Mode:
- go to Tools tab and hit Default to reset your joystick to default;
- go to Profile/Buttons/Physical buttons and check the Poll box;
- click on the center button of Gate Cont hat - button 22 will light up on the chart; click on that button;
- in the new window set that button as uStick Switch from the roll down menu (1), set it as POV2 (2), switched by Tempo (3), with POV mode on start checked if you want it to start as POV mode; if you want it to start in axes mode leave that box unchecked (4);
- go to Profile/POVs panel and set up both POVs as LoRes 4w (for 4 inputs) or 8w (for 8 inputs), with Input as POV.
- when done go to Action tab and press the Set button;
- after the joystick restarts run the calibration, with the Test/Axes tab opened in front of you so you could see axes moving; have to calibrate pitch, roll, twist (if existing), hand brake, secondary trigger and ministicks. Ministicks could have to be switched to axes mode in order to get calibrated, depending on how they've been set up.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Grifter-RLG

Postby Grifter-RLG » Sun Jun 21, 2020 23:50

HI Fallout9,

Sorry about the questions. As I stated above, I've tried to do my own research and found the forums immensely helpful. It took the right keyword searches, but managed to find the answers I was looking for and I believe my stick is set up right now so that I can start to try it out. I appreciate your help and all the clarification you offered. I spend most of today messing around with the Configurator, it took a lot of rereading the manual and staring at the software window to correlate things and figure out the software logic. So, again thanks.

Return to “Technical Support”