Gladiator K tension adjustment

Moderator: AdminGroup

wilsonjarvis

Gladiator K tension adjustment

Postby wilsonjarvis » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:19

Just received and started using my G/K. It is very smooth and WAY beyond the T.1600M that it replaced.

However, I find that the yaw axis is much stiffer and rougher than the pitch and roll axes. Is there any way to adjust the tension on the yaw axis?

Other than that, this was a great investment and I look forward to using in the years to come.

Wilson

TheGeek

Re: Gladiator K tension adjustment

Postby TheGeek » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:29

I have found this to be true with my two Gladiator K's as well.

I greased one of them with nyogel, and that helps with sticktion on the twist a good bit, but its still too stiff IMHO.

I had a good look at the centering mechanism, and the only way I can see to reduce the tension is to replace the spring with a shorter one. I'll be on the hunt for such a spring, and if I find one to order, I'll post it here.

wilsonjarvis

Postby wilsonjarvis » Fri Jul 31, 2020 19:09

Thanks for the info, Geek. I will give the lubrication a try. And, yes, if you find a better spring, please post it here.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 21:17

TheGeek wrote:I have found this to be true with my two Gladiator K's as well.

I greased one of them with nyogel, and that helps with sticktion on the twist a good bit, but its still too stiff IMHO.

I had a good look at the centering mechanism, and the only way I can see to reduce the tension is to replace the spring with a shorter one. I'll be on the hunt for such a spring, and if I find one to order, I'll post it here.

If you're looking for less stiffness in twisting then your option of grease is very wrong as Nyogel 767A is a very viscous grease.
About the spring - if you're looking to replace the spring I recommend trying to find a softer spring instead of a shorter one.

wilsonjarvis

Postby wilsonjarvis » Fri Jul 31, 2020 21:51

Thanks, I have some on order from Amazon. Once I open the G/K up, I will investigate the spring.

wilsonjarvis

Postby wilsonjarvis » Fri Jul 31, 2020 21:53

Can you recommend a grease that would be better, fallout9?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 22:22

wilsonjarvis wrote: Once I open the G/K up, I will investigate the spring.

Guys, let's get clear - I though we're talking about the spring on the twisting module on the Kosmosima, not about the springs inside the Gladiator base - these springs could not get replaced with anything shorter or harder, otherwise the gimbal would get damaged. The gimbal inside the Gladiator base is all plastic and installing different springs would put too much strain on it.
About the grease - I really like a heavy and smooth feeling on my joysticks so I use Nyogel 767A all the time. For a less stiff reaction I would recommend something with low viscosity; Nye products are pretty good from what I hear.

TheGeek

Postby TheGeek » Sat Aug 01, 2020 21:30

While the Nyogel 767A has quite a bit of dampening, I found it still helps reduce the friction that was there before I applied the grease. Its great for precise movements, but if you need to whip the twist back and forth quickly for arcade applications, it would not be ideal.

Its a shame about the gimbal springs though. As I greased the gimbal parts, I could tell that this is likely a common point of failure.

Would out-of-warranty replacement spring mounts be available from VKB?

I'm hoping to upgrade one of the bases when the 10% off gunfighter base deal becomes available. VKB has been awesome so far.

TheGeek

Postby TheGeek » Sat Aug 01, 2020 21:46

Oh, one more thing before I forget!

When I opened up the twist mechanism, there is a metal plate at the top that covers the screw. DON'T LOSE THIS! This is the magnet that the sensor reads the twist amount from. Also, its impossible to put it back exactly in the same position, so you will need to recalibrate the stick after lubricating the twist mechanism.

wilsonjarvis

Postby wilsonjarvis » Sat Aug 01, 2020 21:58

Thanks, Geek. I use the G/K strictly for civilian flight simming, so I am just looking for smoother yaw control. Let me know how your spring investigation goes.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 22:53

For GA and planes in general I strongly recommend Nyogel 767A, can't go any better than that. Also, you said your twisting is rough - are you sure the locking cylinders are all the way in? Because if they stick out a bit they grind against the outer cover. If they're in then try to release a bit the screw - if it's too tight it might interfere with a smooth movement of the twist module.

TheGeek wrote:Would out-of-warranty replacement spring mounts be available from VKB?

Warranty wouldn't be an issue, but just consider that the Gladiator MKII is out of production and Gladiator K is Limited edition only, so proceed with caution if you expect to find spare parts in stock.
But I've never heard of anybody who managed to break any of the plastic gimbal components so they're proven tough. On the other hand though, I've also never heard of anyone who tried to change the gymbal springs. I feel you're kind of the edge with making a decision, so hopefully this would help you; now your turn :wink:

wilsonjarvis

Postby wilsonjarvis » Sat Aug 01, 2020 23:09

Rough was probably the wrong word to use. When coming off of neutral/center, there is a tendency to stick, a feeling that you have to break it loose. It is smooth, if still stiff, once you get off of center.

TheGeek

Postby TheGeek » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:35

Yep, sounds like sticktion to me. The Nyogel helped immensely with this.

Let us know how it goes!

I don't intend on replacing the springs in the gimbal, I have had other joysticks in the past break in the same place, but the VKB parts appear to be made out of much better stuff than your usual cheapo sticks. I'll do my best to take good care of it, and I'm sure it will last years.

Return to “Technical Support”