Gunfighter mk1x-axis problem!

Moderator: AdminGroup

redribbon

Gunfighter mk1x-axis problem!

Postby redribbon » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:21

haven't been here for a while so i'm not informed, few years since i have gunfighter mk1 (got it on preorder and release) and waiting for proper/official fix for x axis spiking for 3 years now, i've been re adjusting wiring inside it and it helps but not on long term and it's annoying when you have to deal with it quite frequently while i paid a lot of money for high end product that isn't working properly.
i invested in multiple vkb grips and pedals too so fixing this is crucial!

Please someone from vkb team provide me long term solution and fix!

redribbon

Re: Gunfighter mk1x-axis problem!

Postby redribbon » Wed May 06, 2020 15:26

thnx for ignoring, nice customer support!

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Thu May 07, 2020 5:20

I think they had holidays from May 1st to 5th?
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

redribbon

Postby redribbon » Thu May 07, 2020 16:30

I've seen other older threads replied by VKB stuff and mine being ignored!
i've spent nice amount of money on vkb equipment (joystick, grips, pedals) and in wait for their throttle, 2-3 years ago they said they would work on this problem as many reported it, and it being product flaw....nothing has been done since!
Now i see there is an upgrade available for mk1 to mk3 which could be solution to my problem, but again it would be nice from them at least being offered solution (oriiginal spare parts) which they promised 3 YEARS ago or at least reply to thread instead ignore it and go spend more money to solve product flaw which i would anyway since i found out about that upgrade.

That's not how you treat loyal customers, so should i skip that vkb throttle,gf mk1 to 3 upgrade and vkb products overall since there is no warranty on their products.....should i recommend it in my squad and among flight sim community cos this is not nice experience!

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Fri May 08, 2020 6:44

In which country are you in?
Don't worry, we will solve the problem ASAP.
Please accept my apologies for the delay

redribbon

Postby redribbon » Sun May 10, 2020 16:09

Thank you!
I live in Croatia and order VKB products from Eduard, vkbsim europe but it may not be neccessary cos after i created this thread i saw there is an upgrade kit available to purchase upgrading gf mk1 to mk3 pcb so that might solve the problem, now if upgrade kit include new cable/wires with pcb connector than problem should be solved if i just purchase mk3 upgrade kit, can you confirm me that?
Also information on connector P/N and pins would be nice so we can order it online by ourself if problem persists in future maybe silicon insulated wires would be better solution due to it's flexibility and distribution of force rather than PVC insulated wires when it comes usage on moving parts.

Thank you very much for response, i love my VKB gear and i become sensitive little girl when comes to it ;)

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sun May 10, 2020 21:52

Just FYI, I don't think there is any *intent* on their part to offer the MK III upgrade as a 'fix' to X-axis Mk I problems. I think occasional problems are just bad luck, no matter how well engineered, stuff happens.

I personally am on record all over these forums with a Gunfighter MK II gimbal that gave occasional twitchy behavior in X for a while. I tried a number of things myself including completely replacing one of the cables. In the end the GF Mk III upgrade kit does seem to have fixed my problem, *BUT* to clarify - I don't think it was the board swap that did it specifically. Rather, in doing the MK II to III upgrade, I found a little bit of 'grit' that had to be ferric stuck to the magnet, behind where the removed sensor board was, and cleaned it out. I really believe to this day that grit moving around in there was the source of my intermittent issues. They have not cropped up since. The new MK III arrangement probably helps if only because there is one less cable overall.

Anyway, hope you get handled and satisfied, this history offered in case it helps. Plus the MK I to MK III upgrade I think will let you swap your grip attachment point from the original A to B (in terms of which way the pads vs. the pins are, on grip or base), if you get the twist adaptor to go along with it. Might be an option for you if you were considering a newer grip as well.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!

redribbon

Postby redribbon » Sun May 10, 2020 23:30

i dont expect them to offer me upgrade as a fix or for free, don't get that confuse you, i expected new cable with connector as a fix since in my case cable is problem, could do it myself but i payed and expected solution from them.
i found out there is an upgrade and decided to upgrade it so no need to them send me new cable if mk3 upgrade already have new cable in it's kit.
Spiking and fluctation usually does happen due to bad connectivity (pins, connectors or magnetic obstructions and deviations, add oxidation to that too), knowing that as a B1/B2 AME (aircraft electrician and engineer), contact cleaner and new pins/connectors solved more malfunctions than you can imagine.
Problem itself doesn't need to be in cable and it's male connector, female connector on pcb can also cause problems, in my case i just needed to open the joystick and give it a little refit/bump on connectors and problem solved for a while.
In electronics bad connectivity is major problem cause, especially on low currents, in this case cable goes on moving part which over time can cause bad connectivity.
Today i watched their upgrade tutorial video and saw they added wire holder near the connectors which should solve problem even silicon insulated wires instead pvc wires would be perfect additional solution if problem still occurs.
That's why i asked connector PN and info so i can order it by myself if necessary (i'm not working with this kind of connectors so don't know it's standards).
In your case if ferrit grit was stuck on a magnet you'd have constant deviation or weird calibration result, not fluctation!

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Mon May 11, 2020 21:58

I didn't mean to imply that you thought they should offer upgrade for free. I meant I do not believe upgrade was meant to "fix" this problem. However, it might help (positive cable connection reinforcement actually got introduced somewhere along the MK II timeframe - my first GF MK II was a very early one and did not have these parts but my later MK II (with Kosmosima release timeframe) did.

In my experience unseating and reseating cable connection points, even completely replacing the cable with my own, did not 'fix' the intermittent behavior on the earlier unit. And my intermittent behavior would only occur after long periods of non-use. If I manipulated the joystick in big swings for a minute or so, it went away for the rest of that play session entirely, and did not come back until the next time I would attempt to use after a week or so rest period. Exactly the opposite one would expect from a weak cable connection, I'd think that more movement would make it weaker and weaker until reseated. So I really do still believe that the grit on the magnet was part of the cause - not in use, it might slowly migrate toward center of magnet perhaps. Manipulation might scatter it a bit out, so the sensor was less blocked... or the sensor does some sort of Kalman filtering internal. I really don't claim to understand how the internals of the actual sensor chip behave.

Anyway, not worth revisiting now if you don't think it will help you to look behind your own circuit board. I have not experienced any recurrence at all after a) cleaning and b) MK III upgrade. So all I'm trying to suggest to you is that you will get there - don't despair! ;-)

Good luck to you.

redribbon

Postby redribbon » Tue Oct 18, 2022 18:07

Still having this issue for years now, and opening gimball baseplate every few days do adjust cable and connector on pcb.....getting tired of it!
Ppsted a support ticket in hope i'll get replacement parts or at least discount on upgrade kit.

AstroNomad

Postby AstroNomad » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:36

I had this on my Mk1 and it went away with the Mk3 upgrade kit. Thought I should mention so you would at least be reassured by that. :)
------
Right: GF MkIII
Left: Gf MkI
Feet: VKB T-Rudders <3

redribbon

Postby redribbon » Tue Nov 08, 2022 20:07

I'm glad to hear that, did they at least offer ypu a discount since it is a product flaw.
I opened a ticket and posted here but seems they're ignoring me.....

redribbon

Postby redribbon » Tue Nov 08, 2022 20:14

3 weeks and no response from vkb europe regarding ticket or here by the vkb team....

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:31

It’s a mechanical issue that could only be fixed by spare parts, so nothing on here would help other than asking the local vendor to check your ticket; please post the number.

redribbon

Postby redribbon » Sat Nov 12, 2022 19:28

Bought from vkb/fsc europe (Eduard i believe)
Ticket number #9165

Thnx!

Return to “Technical Support”