Black box issue ----typing by itself!

Moderator: AdminGroup

Drano

Black box issue ----typing by itself!

Postby Drano » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:45

This is kind of a PSA. Today's shut-in project was testing my overclock. Easy enough, right? I'd done some brief benchmarks the other night but hadn't turned on the PC at all yesterday. A cold front came to thru and wind was fierce. I didn't want to chance it. Power was out around us but as far as I could tell we didn't lose it That is....until I started the PC! As soon as I got into windows (which seemed normal) I found I couldn't type anything! There was a non stop typing of commas and slash, then switched to endless Ps. I thought I had a problem with my keyboard. Swapped it with another. Same thing. Unplugged keyboard and it kept right on typing. I've been in and out of the bios and figured it was something I did there so cleared CMOS. What the heck? This wasn't happening the other night? It was even typing in the bios! Talk about annoying! So now I know I have something else going on. I was hoping my motherboard didn't get zapped! It's only a couple of weeks old! Started unplugging things. As soon as I got to the black box the typing stopped, A hah! Plugged it in and as soon as it booted up it started typing away again. Here's the culprit!

So clearly it took a little zap from the power at some point over the last day. It's plugged into a powered hub with my other controllers but they seem fine. Not the finest regulators on those but also plugged into a surge protector. I was just hoping it didn't get the fatal zap. I brought out the kit I'd put together for working on the VKB stuff and took the back plate off the black box. Plugged it in, shorted the pins and reset the black box. No typing! Re-flashed the firmware and I'm back in business. Mobo is reset and running cinebench as we speak.

So I thought I'd pass this along in case it happens to somebody else. It had me scratching my head for a while! So if your PC starts typing on its own might want to check that OTHER other keyboard that is our VKB stick! Just might save you some time!
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2