Gunfighter Mk I Upgrade - Big Problem!

Moderator: AdminGroup

TrueWeevie

Gunfighter Mk I Upgrade - Big Problem!

Postby TrueWeevie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 16:21

Hello all

I've recently acquired the last bit necessary for the GF Mk I to GF Mk III upgrade so I thought I'd do the upgrade.

I followed the Mk I upgrade video carefully but I hit two obstacles.

Firstly, the package I received for the electronics upgrade had no blind M3 screw in it (to hold the Y axis dry clutch). I do tend to have the clutch fully loose so I figured I could dispense with the dry clutches for the time being just to get the rest of the upgrade on. I figured I'd bother Eduard for the missing screw later.

However, I then hit a major issue that has stopped me in my tracks.

The upper Y axis board screw is impacting on the top plate preventing x axis movement on one side.

20200406_140028.jpg

20200406_140042.jpg

I took a look at the old MkI plate and it's got enough clearance but the new plate does not.

I was inclined to get the Dremel out to make some clearance on the new top plate but I stopped myself! :lol:

So have I done something wrong or is there something amiss with the parts that have been sent to me (well yes, obviously something was amiss: the blind M3 screw but leaving that aside)?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Ron61

Re: Gunfighter Mk I Upgrade - Big Problem!

Postby Ron61 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 16:44

Still, there may be a problem with the connection of the grip due to confused cables. Check out this post.
By fixing the board - there should not be a screw. Fastening (two screws) should take place elsewhere. Write to the seller.

TrueWeevie

Postby TrueWeevie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 17:03

Thanks Ron

I assume you mean the relative positions of the yellow black and red grip wires in the JST connector . I thought I'd got that right but unfortunately I forgot to take a photo before I removed the wires from the old connector housing and then couldn't find a good image online, it's not a problem as I can probably ease the crimp connectors out without damaging the housing. If you have an image of the correct order that'd be useful.

On my Mk 1 gimbal there's nowhere else to fix the board to and I fixed the board where it shows in VKB's video for the Mk I upgrade:

VKBVideoat443.JPG

at 4:43

So I'm not sure where else I'm suppose to fix the Y axis board.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 17:22

In your case, you need to change black with red. The correct connection will be revealed the first time you connect your BlackBox to USB.
If GF is visible in the configurator, everything is correct. Otherwise, the explosive just does not start, it will go in defense.

TrueWeevie

Postby TrueWeevie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 17:51

Thanks Ron, I'll do my best not to destroy the connector housing or it'll be off to uk.rs-online.com for me! :wink:

Any further thoughts on the main issue?

It's quite an early Mk I base (the grip connection is a Rev A) and there really is nowhere else for the Y-Axis board to be screwed to.

I could ask Eduard about it and I'll probably have to at some point but I'd rather email him with exactly what I need from him. I mean even with the picture of my gimbal that I sent him, it appears I was sent the wrong kit so I'd rather just email him with exactly what he needs to send me out.

Thanks for the help anyway.

TrueWeevie

Postby TrueWeevie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 21:03

Little update:

1)I fixed the positions of the individual grip wires.
2)Thought, to hell with it and used the old top cover which has enough cut-out so that screw doesn't impact.
3)Re-calibrated and realised I need 30# springs but other than that it's fine.

I've still raised a ticket with Eduard though because:

a) I want the M3 blind screw that was missing from the kit.
b) I want to know why I'm having to use my old top cover rather than my nice new one.

Anyway, thanks for the help with the wires @Ron61 :D

And Eduard, if you're reading this, the fact that I got it working doesn't matter, I still want an answer to my ticket. :wink:

TrueWeevie

Postby TrueWeevie » Mon Apr 13, 2020 13:47

Ooops, forgot to update this thread.

Eduard got in touch and is sending me through a new board.

Nice one Eduard.

ZERO_Thunder

Postby ZERO_Thunder » Wed May 06, 2020 5:19

Please fix the PCB with this hole. You can use the screw from damper.
Attachments
1.png

StandingCow

Postby StandingCow » Wed May 06, 2020 11:50

That doesn't work, the screw from the dampener doesn't catch anything on the other side of the hole.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Wed May 06, 2020 12:32

Judging by this photo, there should be a screw that secures the two halves of the damper. And which is twisted, since the damper is removed.
6.jpg

TrueWeevie

Postby TrueWeevie » Wed May 27, 2020 20:30

Yeah the board in your photo has a nice big cutout allowing the damper screw to engage with the thread.

With the board Eduard sold me there is no cutout as you can see if you look up to my OP. The damper screw isn't long enough to engage with the thread in the housing underneath with that board installed.

That's why the damper is missing. I took the dampers for both axes out just to get it working for the moment*

Is the board you pictured the one I should have been sent by Eduard? Still waiting, will have to send him a hurry up! :D

My gunfighter base is a very early Mk I (the grip connector is Rev A)

*and now I'm missing them and see the value of the dampers: even with a very slight activation the damping really helped the smooth feel, props to VKB engineers for the dry clutch :)

Return to “Technical Support”