Pitch is almost linear - Rolls have a strange "pause"

Moderator: AdminGroup

juggernaut

Pitch is almost linear - Rolls have a strange "pause"

Postby juggernaut » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:58

Hello,

N00b here!

VKB Gunfighter MK 3 Base + VKB SCG Premium Right.

I have attached 3 images from VKB Joystick Tester. Doing a slow pitch and doing a slow roll - I tried to keep the movement as constant as possible.

The pitch have a very linear feel, but the roll have some kind of "pause" ("jerk", deadzone) near the center. Any way I can have the roll setup just like the pitch?

I believe I have already done 100s of calibrations, but please teach me...

Best regards,
Juggernaut
Attachments
VKB_GFIII_SCG_Premium_Right_Pitch.png
VKB_GFIII_SCG_Premium_Right_Roll.png
VKB_GFIII_SCG_Premium_Right_Roll_With_Markings.png

fallout9

Re: Pitch is almost linear - Rolls have a strange "pause"

Postby fallout9 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 19:01

That happens if you slow down at the middle of the axis. Could be affected by using a hard centering cam too.

See the picture: first part I moved the grip at a constant speed through the detent; second part I was slowing down when crossing the detent.
Attachments
1.JPG

juggernaut

Postby juggernaut » Sun Mar 22, 2020 16:47

Hi fallout9,

THX for the quick reply.

I have tried changing the CAMs to "Soft center space cams (linear)" and set the springs to #20 - not sure if they were default in the GF MK III - they do seem a bit looser. Could also be placebo ...

The effect is now limited - or so it seems to me - but it is still present at some speeds of movement. Super slow & super fast movement gives no artifact. Somewhere in between - nearest to slow - there is still an effect. In the Joystick tester I can even catch it "going back" at certain speeds. This means that the movement in game - again at certain speeds - reverts/counters in the middle of a constant draw to either left or right. It feels very strange, and it makes precision flight near the centre very challenging.

I am sure you think I am rambling .-) Let me know if you would need some screenshots or other technical information from my local settings and versions of software/firmware.

I can also supply you with a video of the effect in game. Very easy to see the effect. If you want I can even film the joystick movement in the same frame.

THX again!

//Juggernaut

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 23:54

Sure, you could provide a YouTube link here. Would also need a screenshot with Profile tab/ Axes, with both Physical Axes and Logical Axes visible.

Drano

Postby Drano » Wed Mar 25, 2020 14:23

This rings a bell with me. I have a MkI GF and there was an issue with the screws that held the grip base connector on the grip body working loose. That would cause something that looks like what you're seeing. As they're mounted on the side you wouldn't get that little spike on the pitch axis but you would on the roll. What happens is the grip slops loose of the connector going left right. The sensor as it's hyper sensitive sees it and there you are.

Put your fingers on the metal part coming out the bottom of the grip. The part where it attaches to the base. Now wiggle the grip left right. Do you feel movement between the plastic grip and the metal? If so those screws are loose. Doesn't take much to make this happen.

The fix is you remove the grip from the base. Now take the side hat cap off. Just pull it. It is keyed so it only goes back on one way so pay attention to that when you put it back on. Now take all of the little screws holding the grip body halves together. You'll need a longer screwdriver, think it's a phillips #0 to get the one on the top part as it's in a deep recess. Take the halves apart. Now you'll see the barrel shaped black metal base connector. There are two screws that hold that onto the grip body half. Tighten them. Don't over tighten them! They are only threading into a brass molded in thing that if you do may strip or possibly twist out. Might be a good idea to put a small lock washer on those screws to stop this from happening if there aren't any. Mine didn't originally but they may have added them with later revisions. Loctite makes a purple light duty thread locker you could use. Don't use blue, it's too strong for that size screw and red is right out!

Assembly is the reverse process. After putting the grip back on, do another cal and see if that hasn't taken care of that spike. I can tell you from my experience if this was your problem it may happen again. I've probably done this three times over the life of my stick. Think I'm 2+ years in. Every once in a while I notice a little spike happening in the roll axis and I feel if the grip is wobbling. Time to tighten the screws!

If this is your problem I hope this helps you. Good luck!
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

Drano

Postby Drano » Wed Mar 25, 2020 14:47

BTW here is the link to the fix from back then.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?faq=my-mcg- ... t-can-i-do
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Wed Mar 25, 2020 15:01

Drano wrote:This rings a bell with me. I have a MkI GF and there was an issue with the screws that held the grip base connector on the grip body working loose. That would cause something that looks like what you're seeing. As they're mounted on the side you wouldn't get that little spike on the pitch axis but you would on the roll. What happens is the grip slops loose of the connector going left right. The sensor as it's hyper sensitive sees it and there you are. ..

I was almost thinking this might be the culprit too, but didn't post, and wouldn't in the same detail anyway, so good on ya, mate.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Drano

Postby Drano » Wed Mar 25, 2020 17:41

Right! I remember we were early adopters that ran into this. No idea if that mounting arrangement has been changed in any way but thought I'd throw it out there. Recently upgraded mine with the GF3 kit. Still say this is the best stick ever!
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

Drano

Postby Drano » Mon Mar 30, 2020 17:39

Hey Jug? How'd you make out with this?
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

juggernaut

Postby juggernaut » Sun May 10, 2020 13:46

Hi,

Just revisited this ticket! SRY for the delay. I have been enjoying some time off with Elite Dangerous, and I was apparently enjoying my self too much.

I spent some time doing some videos in 4K60P - with the stick in view, and a screenshot from the config profile.

... all done before I read your post, so I have not tried that yet. Will try and revert to you ASAP.

And! THX a lot for the brilliant replies! I felt like a was alone in the world and had completely lost my mind :-) ... that may still be the case though.

I have made these videos and attached screenshot from the VKB Device Config, just in case...

VKB - VKB Joystik Tester: https://youtu.be/VUI7ZGuwvf4
VKB - ED - In Statin: https://youtu.be/my23UAqj1VI
VKB - ED - In Space: https://youtu.be/WxBxq7J1IG4

On another note! In general I am SOOOOOO satisfied with the product. I have never tried anything like it!

THX again for all your respones. I will try the fix and keep this post updated!

Brgds,
Juggernaut
Attachments
VKB-Device-Config-Axes.png

Return to “Technical Support”