Gladiator MkII w/ upgrade kit and SCG R Premium

Moderator: AdminGroup

CraigStu

Re: Gladiator MkII w/ upgrade kit and SCG R Premium

Postby CraigStu » Fri Mar 06, 2020 19:06

So I downloaded all the same files to a VKB folder in downloads on my laptop. Started configurator but when I hit bootloader button configurator shut down but bootloader did not open. So I opened it myself and things looked real good. Had detect ok and green button so hit 'flash'. All was well, the brown bar went to 100% and the last two lines were;

Reset device...
Error write data 0

But when I tried to close the bootloader a window popped up saying 'unable to write to zconfig.ini.' The bootloader would not close w/ the upper right X so I used task manager. Started the configurator again and I thought all was well. But the configurator window on the laptop is a little too large for the screen and I don't see the bottom line of tabs for 'global profile test info' so decided to move the stick to the desktop, started dcs, and did a free flight and now the stick does nothing at all on any axis. Go to configurator and look at the 'test' screen and nothing moves. So I got into the config manual section covering calibration instructions and see it should be able to auto calibrate. I had already tried that several times but no help. Also it says if zconfig.ini has a line 'partialcalibration=1 a box should pop up. Looked in my zconfig file and 'partialcalibration=0.' It opens in notepad so I could change the 0 to a 1 but should I? Seems maybe since I had that 'can't write to zconfig' popup there may be more missing from the file. BTW on both the laptop and desktop I do have a zconfig file in the vkb folder.
Edit to ad; I just tried 'Joytester' and nothing happens there either.
Edit to ad 2; In the configurator 'action - external devices' I now have a green dot but the vertical bar has only one green line at the bottom.
Last edited by CraigStu on Fri Mar 06, 2020 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 19:30

Well, it all worked out on a laptop. It remains only to calibrate all the axes and use.

CraigStu

Postby CraigStu » Fri Mar 06, 2020 21:44

Not so sure it worked out on the laptop. I got lot further than before as far as the bootloader etc but;
- actually lost function on the stick itself. used to have roll and pitch and now they are gone.
- every method I try to calibrate expecting to see info from the stick there is no movement
- not being able to write to the zconfig.ini can't be good.
- on the laptop I can't see the entire configurator screen so am missing several functions.
If I connect back to the laptop and hopefully figure something out for calibration, will that transfer when I plug it into the desktop?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 22:09

Yes, the device is storing all the information internal so flashing and calibrating it on a computer and using it on another computer won't be a problem.

At this point I would suggest to delete all VKB files from the laptop, download a fresh version of VKBDevCfg, ZBootloader and firmware package and start anew as the zconfig file might be corrupted. Best thing would be to download the 3 files on the laptop, put them in their own folder (do not open VKBDevCfg yet), then start Windows in Safe mode, run the VKBDevCfg to flash and calibrate. Please update the thread with the results.

CraigStu

Postby CraigStu » Fri Mar 06, 2020 22:12

will do

CraigStu

Postby CraigStu » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:12

My stick WORKS. This is fantastic. I found an easy way to get into safe mode on the laptop via msconfig. Not sure why that didn't come up when looking on the desktop. Desktop is 3 months old Alienware and laptop is 5(?) yr old cheapie. Both on Win 10. Anyway, on laptop deleted all vkb downloads and got new ones and installed in 'downloads-vkb' folder. Shut down and started in safe mode. configurator, bootloader and it indicated it was flashed it but still no reaction to stick in 'test' in configurator. BTW configurator would shut down but bootloader would not load automatically so I did it myself. Tried wizzo didn't seem to do anything. Kept messing around mostly w/ configurator and somewhere in there did a restart on the laptop. More messing around and keep going to 'test' w/ no results and then suddenly I go to 'test' and see the throttle has moved all the way to the left of the scale. All have always been in the center til now. Grab the stick and all three axes work. Move the stick to the desktop, fire up DCS 'ready on the ramp' so I can go to F2 view and see if the controls move. They do. Re program some brake and gear buttons and take off. Yeeehaaaw. It works. I need to figure which hat switches to use for what, but now I have more switches than I need, so that will be easy.

fallout9 and Ron61, I can't thank you guys enough.

Thanks so much for putting up w/ me and getting me running. I was so close to taking it all apart and reverting to a standard Gladiator MkII but now I am thrilled w/ this SCG.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:03

So glad you got it working Craig! Just to remind you, before starting using the joystick, that you have to calibrate it, I've post the tutorial earlier in this thread; even the axes are responsive to movement, it needs calibration.

Have fun!

Return to “Technical Support”