Firmware update on T_Rudder MKIV

Moderator: AdminGroup

JDasenbrock

Firmware update on T_Rudder MKIV

Postby JDasenbrock » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:04

Just received the pedals today.

I have questions about the firmware update process. I've connected the rudder pedals to the black box (mk2, black case), black box to the PC and I get a green light next to "1" and a blue light on the opposite side (SYS). Then run VKBDevCfg-C. I can select the VKB-SIM T-Rudder v1.970 pedals from the list at the top, then select Tools tab and Bootloader. This runs Z-Bootloader and closes VKBDevCfg-C. I get green light in upper right and "Device not ready" displayed in Z-Bootloader and continuous errors in the box below. At this point the lights on the black box are no longer lit.

Example:
Device connected
Error write data: 16534383 <-- these numbers vary.
Error read data: 16534383 <-- these numbers vary.

I can try clicking reset, but it still continuously displays the errors. I can select a firmware file, _BlackBox_MK2_TRudder_v1_98_6.vkb, and attempt to flash, but I get similar errors and it goes back to the continuous errors.

I did get the message initially that I needed to calibrate the device and did so, so now I am seeing what appears to be accurate axis values in the test tab in VKBDevCFG-C. I believe the pedals are working, but am completely baffled by this firmware update process. I am starting VKBDevGfg-C as administrator, if that matters.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

JDasenbrock

Re: Firmware update on T_Rudder MKIV

Postby JDasenbrock » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:21

OK, I was able to find some information about conflicting software. Tried disabling mouse/keyboard and some additional utility software with no luck, but did try from a second PC and was able to successfully flash with the latest firmware. Now everything seems to be as it should be, firmware reports the latest version and my T-Rudder pedals are calibrated and working.

Here's a link to the post that helped...

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3498&p=34162&hilit=z+bootloader+errors#p34162

and a YouTube vid that also helped...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ht8yMsdlCQ

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:36

Thank you for the update. Have you identified the software blocking the bootloader?

Escapetaxi

Postby Escapetaxi » Mon Feb 24, 2020 15:45

Do you had several USB Devices plugged in that Spot before? Maybe it is a Windows Registry Issue.
With USBDeview, for Example, you can look up, if there are unused and "dead" Devices listed.

Sorry for bad English!

JDasenbrock

Postby JDasenbrock » Mon Feb 24, 2020 19:00

I have not identified the software that is blocking the bootloader. I do have many USB devices...Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard, USB hub, Logitech USB speakers, WD external HDDs, external LG CD-R, Oculus CV1 with 3 sensors. If I decide to try and chase this down, I'll report back my findings, but it may be that I'm just happy to have it up to date and working.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Mon Feb 24, 2020 21:03

Silly question, but did your T-Rudders come with the orange blackbox, or the newer black blackbox?

Only asking because of this:

For VKB devices shipped with the new BlackBox (black casing), you’ll need to select firmware starting w/ “_BlackBox_MK2_” (MK2 refers to the new BlackBox, not the device variant as in Gunfighter Mk.I, or T-Rudders Mk.IV, etc). If your device uses the orange BlackBox, chose firmware starting w/ “_BlackBox_” instead.
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

JDasenbrock

Postby JDasenbrock » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:33

I have the newer all black black box (mk2). I did make sure that I was attempting the correct firmware. I start getting the errors long before even choosing the firmware file.

Return to “Technical Support”