z-axis not centering? gf mk3 space pro

Moderator: AdminGroup

heman86

z-axis not centering? gf mk3 space pro

Postby heman86 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:54

Hi,

i have a problem with the gunfighter mk3 and the space grip pro.
after installing and calibrating everything yesterday I started playing elite.
After some time i realized that the z axis (twist) felt weird, felt like there is some kind of resistance shortly before it should completely center (when turning it to the left, turning it to the right works perfect and it centers quick)
Now it sometimes doesnt center at all when i turn it to the left. It stops shortly before center point. Added two pictures so you can see what i mean.

Anyone know what the problem is? is it the base or the grip?
Will it get better after time or should i send it back? It almost feels like it has to be lubed up or something like that. i only used the joystick for a few hours so far.

The „funny“ thing is I went from thrustmaster to this one because i always had problems with the z axis (twist) on the thrustmaster 16000 after a few months and now i have "z axis" problems with this one :(

Thanks for the help
Attachments
20200217_014023.jpg
20200217_014008.jpg

pizmak

Re: z-axis not centering? gf mk3 space pro

Postby pizmak » Tue Feb 18, 2020 19:34

Hey,

Generally, from my experience I can say the vkb twist might be a bit sticky...I'm going to regrease mine this weekend, but before you push yourself to do the same, check whether the tightening piece is retracted in the grip correctly, like in the attached photo. One time I put it together and and the tightening piece was sticking out of the hole, impacting the twist movement. If it is correct in yours as well, then I suppose you can either create a ticket with the support or try regreasing.
Attachments
IMG_20200218_173034.jpg

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 21:31

It is necessary to disassemble the handle and make sure that nothing extra fell into the twist during assembly.
Perhaps the screws are tightened very tightly. This was the case, it was worth disassembling and assembling and it all worked.

heman86

Postby heman86 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:16

fixed the problem. you need to be realy carefull when you screw ihn the closing mechanism.
thats what i did:
screw in for 1/4, twist the stick, screw in 1/4, twist the stick and see if everything works. repeat until its scerwed in tight.

heman86

Postby heman86 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:21

pizmak wrote:Hey,

Generally, from my experience I can say the vkb twist might be a bit sticky...I'm going to regrease mine this weekend, but before you push yourself to do the same, check whether the tightening piece is retracted in the grip correctly, like in the attached photo. One time I put it together and and the tightening piece was sticking out of the hole, impacting the twist movement. If it is correct in yours as well, then I suppose you can either create a ticket with the support or try regreasing.

do you know if there is a tutorial on how to regrease it? what do you use for it? silicone oil?

Escapetaxi

Postby Escapetaxi » Sat Feb 22, 2020 15:30

Please don't use Silicone Oil. It may be safe for most Plastics, but it is not a optimal Lubricant for longterm use. More likely the Oil
will go everywhere and this also attracts more Dust / Dirt.

pizmak

Postby pizmak » Sun Feb 23, 2020 13:58

heman86 wrote:
pizmak wrote:Hey,

do you know if there is a tutorial on how to regrease it? what do you use for it? silicone oil?

Sure, check this topic on reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments ... egreasing/

As for the grease, I have a silicone grease I bought in my country like this one. VKB guys mentioned that you can try any plastic safe lube (but they did not refer to the viscosity), so I took this one as silicone greases are usually recommended for that purpose. With that said though, before I'm going to use it, I'm going to first try more spohisticated grease from Nye Lubricants (Nyogels). I've got two from them - 767a and 774l. The 767a has very high viscosity, is highly dampening, I'm afraid it will smooth the axis movement, but will make it a bit more slower. It is also main recommended grease for Warthog stiction problem. The 774l is actually lighter in viscosity, so should be more suitable for that purpose. So I will try the 774l first, just waiting for it to be delivered atm.

Worth checking on the dampening proprty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59F9qUDNwnQ

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 20:19

+1 for the suggestion of using something lighter than Nyogel 767a as I tried this grease and wasn't happy with the results. Might've worked with a harder spring.

pizmak

Postby pizmak » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:47

Thanks for letting us know - will save me the trouble of trying it out. Fingers crossed for the 774 one.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:59

767 worked great on the Warthog gimbal and on the TWCS throttle rails. I still use it on the dry clutches nylon pads on my left hand base which I use as a throttle.
But for the twist module I think something way less viscous is needed, even with no dampening.

Please keep us posted how it goes, would be really helpful to get a proper alternative.

Escapetaxi

Postby Escapetaxi » Mon Feb 24, 2020 15:55

NyoGel 767a is really great, but I would say not recommended to use in Gladiator MK. II Plastic Gimbal System. Due its very high Viscosity and Stickyness, it tends
to minor "bending" in Plastics. So, the Materials "bend" first, until the Axis actually moves and can be registered by the Sensor. I only applied a light film and still that
was way too much and causes many Problems - also in Center Precision.

At the end, I have used "Aparoli PTFE Universal" as Lubricant. Best I have got so far for Plastic / Plastic and Plastic / Metal Combination. And I have a Cupboard full of
different Greases and Oils...

Maybe NyoGel 774VL and L can also work out great.

Sorry for bad English!

pizmak

Postby pizmak » Mon Feb 24, 2020 21:39

Hey guys, so I just did it and re-greased the twist with Nyogel 774l aaaaand.....it was bad :P to be honest it was even worse than before, unable to make micro adjustments, the movement was sticky and bumpy in areas of the axis that it wasn't before. I cleaned it again and said screw it - let's try the silicone with 55%PTFE. Re-greased again and I think it's a sweet spot. Movement is smooth I can make super micro adjustments without any stickiness.

What is worth mentioning though:
1. It's surprisingly easy to disassemble the twist - thanks to the video in previous posts from Reddit.
2. Even with the silicone grease with 55% PTFE you can still feel, in the end, that it's a plastic surface grinding against another plastic surface. I mean it's smooth, but if you tried for example the twist you have on Virpil sticks, then VKB twist is still far behind in how the movement feels. Then again, we are comparing a completely different designs here, given the fact that VKBs twist is an add-on, that you can put in their line of sticks, I'd say they did a good job with coming up with this design.
3. Make sure that you do not overdo it with the amount of grease applied. You don't want to put too much.

I might at some point try an even lighter grease from Nyogel, but for now I'm happy with the result. I think I'd agree with the statement that was made in this thread - I do not think a dampening grease of any kind is a good idea here.

Escapetaxi

Postby Escapetaxi » Mon Feb 24, 2020 23:48

Yes, I thought they would design the Adapter like the Gladiator MK. II Twist. That up and downlifting of the whole Grip feels somewhat weird. Especially
on the MCG - but I have small Hands.

I will also re-grease the Adapter, because I can't do any fine Adjustments with it. Getting out of Center is also very hard, stiff and abrupt.

The re-greased Twist on Gladiator MK. II feels silky smooth and allows fast minor Adjustments. Sadly, the Grip has minor Play on the Stick, but that is also
fixeable. :)

I hope the Adapter will work close like that after re-greasing and maybe other modifications.

Mhmm... and VPC has good Twist in their Grips?
But then there are other disadvantages with it - too tall for proper Desktop Use. Was thinking of to get the Constellation Alpha... but it looks so tall and big.
That on my Desk? I doubt I can find a proper Hand / Arm Setup for very accurate and fast controlling and at same time feeling comfortable...

heman86

Postby heman86 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:27

the trick with the z axis is to not push down when you want to twist but slightly lift up. goes really smooth then.

Escapetaxi

Postby Escapetaxi » Tue Feb 25, 2020 15:28

Well, I am not pushing down, as that would only lead to movement errors. In the beginning it was even worse to get out
of the Center. It improved a little over time, but still not smooth enough - so I need to take it apart and re-grease it.

I mean with Gladiator Twist I can get every single Value from left to right, but not so with the MCG Twist Adapter and Soft
Spring installed.

Return to “Technical Support”