Z axis not registering - Brand new GF MK.III + MCG PRO with twist adapter.

Moderator: AdminGroup

Commander_Haas

Z axis not registering - Brand new GF MK.III + MCG PRO with twist adapter.

Postby Commander_Haas » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:40

1. - Gunfighter MK.III + MCG Pro with twist adapter
2. - FW V1.981
3. - Stock springs
4. - Stock Cams
5. - VKB Device Config V0.90.93
Screen shots coming once I figure out how to upload them to the VKB server

Hi. Just so we're on the same page, this is my first experience with a VKB product. As stated in the title, I just received my brand new Gunfighter MK.III + MCG PRO with twist adapter today. Read the manual very carefully, adjusted dampers and all that. Before I plugged it in and ran any software, I swapped out the spring in the twist adapter for the soft spring because right off the hop I knew it was way too much resistance for my liking. I was extremely meticulous in doing this procedure and am 100% confident that I did not damage any parts, though in retrospect I really wish I had at least plugged it in to make sure everything was working as intended first.

So anyways, with all the hardware related stuff out of the way, I plugged in my joystick. The manual suggested that if there was a newer firmware version, to flash to it. There were no GF MK.III FW updates and honestly, I probably should have left it stock. I scoured the forums for answers and it seems I'm not the only person wondering about the FW update, though someone had said they tried both GF + MCG PRO files and they both worked fine, so I flashed to the most recent one.

Then comes calibration time. Start going through all the axes and the Z axis won't register. Nothing. I unplugged it, plugged it back in. Nothing. I re-flashed the firmware. Nothing. I tried the other Firmware. Nothing. I even went as far as to open the grip back up and double check that the twist PC board module was sufficiently connected, and that the 3 pin cable was seated properly as well. Just to be sure, I even disconnected both the twist module PCB and 3 pin cable and re-seated them. As stated before, I was extremely meticulous during my spring swap, but double check all wires on the twist adapter cable to ensure nothing was had been pinched. They weren't, as I was careful to seat them in the allotted slot for protection. Additionally, I fired up a game just to see if it was the VKB software that wasn't registering the axis for some reason, but no, the game did not register it either.

I am at a loss here. I have said before that I am very confident in the work I did to the spring. I have worked on joysticks extensively in the past. At this point, I can only think that it's faulty hardware, or that the Firmware version I've flashed to doesn't support twist?

Really disappointing initial experience on a stick that I've been eyeing up for years. Should I be submitting a ticket to speak with the team directly? Please advise.
Last edited by Commander_Haas on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:12, edited 1 time in total.

Ron61

Re: Z axis not registering - Brand new GF MK.III + MCG PRO with twist adapter.

Postby Ron61 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:01

When installing MCG with a twist, you need to change only two parameters in the configurator.
But first, I advise you to add a few lines to the zconfig.ini file (see the picture), which is located in the folder where the configurator starts.
zconfig1.png

First in the Global-External tab and then in the Profile-Axes. Made changes, click Set (in Action) and then calibrate. All.
Ext.png
Axes.png

Commander_Haas

Postby Commander_Haas » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:16

Wow, that worked perfectly! I don't know who you are but thank you!!! I was seriously stressed out.

One would think the information to get the twist axis working out of the box would be more easily available?

Regardless, I am thrilled that my stick is properly registering the Z axis now. So again, thank you so very much. Take Care.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:38

This is all on the twist video (5:20). Sometimes, when assembling furniture, for example, you should read the instructions :). It really helps.
Always welcome and good luck on your flights! :D

Commander_Haas

Postby Commander_Haas » Wed Jan 15, 2020 18:35

Lol! Well isn't that embarrassing. I actually *did* watch that video when I was swapping the spring. Except that I didn't expect it to include any software configuration. Once I had it open and saw how everything was done, I had quickly skipped to the end to see if there was any additional info at the *end* of the video, assuming that everything else was a demonstration of putting the grip back together.

I probably missed that section of the video by mere seconds *facepalm*.

Well lesson learned I guess. Thanks again for the quick reply.

spetke

Postby spetke » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:51

I have a Gladiator Pro MkII With a similar problem. Only the software changes don't seem to help.

I rechecked connections and have flashed FW several times. Still no life on the twist Axis. What to do next?

FW 1.981
VKBDevCFG 0.90.98

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:11

Hi Spetke,

More data is needed to resolve your issue. Please check this post and try to add more info to your post: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2762
In your case the screenshots asked in the above post (Global/ External and Profiles/Axes/Physical&Logical axes) are very important.

spetke

Postby spetke » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:07

Sorry.

Requesting tech support, please AT ALL TIMES begin your post with the following information:
1 - Gladiator Pro Mk2+MCG Pro with Twist adapter and T-rudder pedals connected to Gladiator base. Everything else but the twist axis are working perfectly.
2 - 1.981 and 1.982 tested with identical results
3 - Number and type of springs used - Standard
4 - Тype of cams used - Standard
5 - If VKB original software is used, please always mention its version
If the question is in regards to joystick/pedals axes, please additionally post:
6 - Vkbjoytester screenshots.
7 - Vkbdevcfg-c screenshots.
I have also added these parameters to zconfig.ini.
[Common]
Test Misc Enabled=1
[User]
User=Developer

Did not help or change anything for me.

Is this enough to narrow down my problem?

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 13:15

So when more information appears, then it becomes clear what and why is not working properly. In your case, when the pedals are connected, the axes conflict.
Since, by default, the pedal axis is registered on the 7 axis. In the presence of a twist module, it also registers on the same axis (7). To allow the use of both a twist and pedals, you need to spread them on different axes (free).
On the Gladiator, this is a free 8 axis.
Therefore, we leave the pedals on the 7th axis, and hang the twist on the 8th axis. Change the values ​​according to the pictures.
Pay attention to the correct installation of the sensor type for the pedals (7 axis = D-Mars) in Physical Axes.
After Set, all that remains is to calibrate the axes.
MCG Pro+Pedals+twist Ext.png
MCG Pro+Pedals+twist Axes.png

spetke

Postby spetke » Sat Jan 25, 2020 15:12

Hello!

Thanks for your help. It's working now. I wish there were more tutorials and maybe example configs for VKBDevconfig in english. I know it's a big effort to make those but they would be useful.

thanks once again,

Petteri

claw

Postby claw » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:59

Since MCG PRO MK3 selling with already pre-installed TWIST,
don't you think that it will be better to add twist axis to factory default configuration? Because after factory default reset we must set them up again

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 18:05

You should save the profile with the Save button after setting up a twist. And after resetting to default, load it with the Load button. This operation takes just a few clicks of the mouse. Read about this in the manual on page 102.

Ace Rodrigo

Postby Ace Rodrigo » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:54

I have the same problem, except I do not have the pedals. I have followed the instructions above and I still cannot get my twist axis to function. First question, without pedals should the twist axis, ie the z-axis, be in the 7th or 8th position? After that, I don't know what to do to get my twist axis working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:39

Ace Rodrigo

Postby Ace Rodrigo » Wed Feb 05, 2020 19:25

Thank you so much for the help. :D It was the set button that I was missing. Z-axis working great now. Thanks again....

Return to “Technical Support”