VKB Fat Black Mamba firmware update trouble

Moderator: AdminGroup

Thoste

VKB Fat Black Mamba firmware update trouble

Postby Thoste » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:18

I bought a Fat Black Mamba back in 2013. Have used it a lot but been neglecting updating the firmware for quite a few years. Never had any issues so why bother right? :) Still on V1.43F, and now I can't get it to update. On to the regular questions.

1. VKB Fat Black Mamba.
2. 1.43F
3. Not sure about the springs but harder then the ones from factory. So many years since I changed I have no idea about the exact specifications.
4. Changed to cams without center detent when they became available many years ago.
5. Downloaded the latest software from the website. VKBDevCfg-C 0.90.93, ZBootLoader-C 1.18, and the latest JoyTester.
6. Can supply if needed, but all axis work fine and show up fine in the software. Same for buttons.
7. See screenshots in the explanation below.

Computer is running Windows 10.

Problem is as I said not being able to update the firmware. Not sure if this will fix my underlaying problem or if I might have some hardware issues, but this is the first step.

Starting all software as Administrator.

First screenshot shows the error message I get when selecting the joystick. Completely normal as far as I can tell.

Second shows the error "Error read CPUID" that I guess is related to my problem, but I can't find a way to resolve.

I then go to Options and press the BootLoader button and BooLoader starts with the following image:

When pressing the "Reset" button the following happens:

I have tried the same on different USB ports and on another computer without any luck. Any suggestions, tips or tricks I can try?

Ron61

Re: VKB Fat Black Mamba firmware update trouble

Postby Ron61 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:16

Do not try to flash, if the red light is on and the line "Boot device: turn out" - does not work.
For a successful firmware, you need such a picture.
Boot.png

Perhaps you need to flash first to a higher version (1.8 *) and only then to the extreme. Or use the older Zbootloader (0.97) to raise the firmware version to 1.8 * and only then the bunch of Zbootloader v1.18 + 1.98_1.

Thoste

Postby Thoste » Sun Dec 29, 2019 14:23

Thanks for the tips. Where can I find older versions of the software and old firmware?

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:31

I can offer right here in the archive. Configurator here.
ZBootloader-C0.97.rar
(933.08 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
FM_v1_75_A.rar
(56.3 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

Thoste

Postby Thoste » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:11

Thanks alot! That worked. Managed to update to 1.98.1. Only trouble now is no buttons work. Wondering if I used the correct firmware file. I used "_MambaFat_MCG_Pro_v1_98_1.vkb". Only others I see with a reasonable name is "_MambaVint_MCG_Pro_v1_98_1.vkb" and "_MambaVint_v1_98_1.vkb" and they fail. King Cobra drivers worked to some degree and gave me a couple of buttons, but not all. What is the correct file?

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:51

Without providing screenshots of the settings, it’s hard to understand why the buttons do not work. To check the work at the physical level, you need to activate the checkbox "Poll" in the same tab. And by pressing and toggling buttons and toggle switch. make sure their work.
Images can be inserted using the "Attachments", directly, without links.

Thoste

Postby Thoste » Wed Jan 01, 2020 16:23

Update. Buttons on the base work, but nothing on the grip.

5.JPG

Buttons show as mapped when I select one in the software, but no reaction.

6.JPG

Wondering if it's the wrong driver. Says Modern Combat Pro and my model name never said anything about that. Order confirmation email says product name is "VKB Fat Black Mamba joystick (for non-EU customers)". Metal base and plastic grip. Not supported anymore?

Tried downgrading to 1.75.A. Gets all the buttons working but no axis... And when starting the config tool it gives the following error message. Tried multiple versions of the config tool with the same error.

7.JPG

At least the image of the controller is correct with older firmware.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 13:39

I advise you to return to version 1.981 and show a screenshot of the Test-External devices tab with a quality bar for connecting the grip with the base.

Thoste

Postby Thoste » Sun Jan 05, 2020 23:21

No idea how to do what you ask. You speak like I know this software, and it's a bloody nightmare to try to find anything in it.

Anyway the connection between grip and base is fine. When everything works before a firmware upgrade it speaks to logic that it still has a firm connection. At least that's my conclusion as a IT tech when I search for errors in networks etc. I am leaning towards bad profile. With 1.98.1 and the profile from the 1.75.A you linked earlier I get everything except the "THR" rotating axis working. Any profiles available for 1.98.1?

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:58

What is incomprehensible in my proposal? You need to go to the Test tab and click on the External Devices tab there. And take a screenshot with the grip connected.

Thoste

Postby Thoste » Mon Jan 06, 2020 14:42

Because on the Test tab there is no External Device tab.

8.JPG

Still I don't know what good it will do if you read my last post. All but one axis (on the base even) works with the 1.75.A profile file loaded, with the 1.98.1 firmware. So the connection between the base and grip is good.

Return to “Technical Support”