Gladiator Pro, MCG Pro Twist, Axis Setup

Moderator: AdminGroup

Echo34

Gladiator Pro, MCG Pro Twist, Axis Setup

Postby Echo34 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:23

Hello,

1 - Device model and version - Gladiator Pro Mk II with MCG Pro and Twist Adapter
2 - Controller Firmware version - Gladiator_MCG_Pro_v1_94_B
3 - Number and type of springs used - as shipped, not that it matters
4 - Тype of cams used - #10 not that it matters
5 - If VKB original software is used, please always mention its version - VKB Dev Config v0.90.54 and Joy Tester version ?????

I would like to setup my controller so that both the Gate-Cont and Master Mode ministicks output as an analog axis. I realize that the controller can only handle 8 analog axes at a time, so I'm ok with leaving the brake lever and throttle on the Gladiator base either non operational, or as axis-to-button outputs, in order to free up the axes for the ministicks.

I am completely lost on how to achieve this. I've read through the Dev Config user guide v2.11 and am left slightly more confused about how to use the program. Is there a decent tutorial on how to proficiently use the Dev Config tool? Can someone walk me through setting up my controller the way that I described?

Global - External.png

Global - Common.png

Profile - Logical and Physical Axes.png

More screenshots incoming
Last edited by Echo34 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:25, edited 1 time in total.

Echo34

Re: Gladiator Pro, MCG Pro Twist, Axis Setup

Postby Echo34 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:24

More screenshots

Profile - Buttons Physical.png

Profile - POVs.png

JoyTester.png

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 15:15

First of all, you should add lines, as in the picture, to the zconfig.ini file, which is located in the folder where the configurator starts. And update the firmware to the extreme 1.98.1.
zconfig1.png

is worthwhile to understand how the axes are configured for their subsequent configuration. We look at the factory setting.
Default GL Pro.png
Axes GL Pro.png
Povs GL Pro.png

If you connect twist to the 7th axis, we only have the eighth axis unused. And therefore, it will not work to make a full-fledged microstick from Master Mode (with 2 axes). Something needs to be turned off. Either the throttle axis (5), or the brake axis (6), or a twist (7). Here is an option with twist disabled.You need to configure the uStick Switch button for Master Mode in the same way as Gate Cont.
External GL Pro minus Twist.png
Axes GL Pro minus Twist.png
Povs GL Pro minus Twist.png

I suggest leaving all these axes in operation, and Master Mode will work only as a HAT. Strange, but it didn’t work for me on the axes 2-2, 2-3 (default) - I had to throw it on 2-4, 2-5.
External GL Pro plus Twist.png
Povs GL Pro plus Twist.png

Echo34

Postby Echo34 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:43

Hey Ron61,

Thank you for the quick reply and apologies for taking so long to follow through. I was able to do what I wanted by following your example and using axis 5 instead of 7 for the Master Mode ministick, disabling the throttle dial on the base of the Gladiator instead of the twist axis. For what it's worth I also updated the firmware and followed the steps to add lines to the zconfig.ini file. Firmware I used was this one, everything seems to work;

1_Firmware File Loaded.png

Configurator Settings are as follows and in the next post, for those that might want to do something similar. I made the indicated changes to the settings after flashing the new firmware, setting the profile to factory defaults, and following instructions to setup the twist axis from this tutorial video. I also enabled the Brake Lever and Folding Trigger virtual buttons.

I wanted to keep the twist axis and instead replace the throttle axis. The throttle axis is axis 5, and axis 8 is unused by default, so those are the two axes I assigned to Master Mode.
2_Global External.png

On the Profile > Axes tab I setup axis 5 in the same way that the other ministicks are setup, minus enabling a response curve. Later I might try to copy the response curves from the Gate Cont axes (axes 3 and 4, box "Eq" is checked) to the Master Mode axes to fix a deadzone issue I noticed with the Master Mode ministick. But for now this works.
3_Profile - Axes.png

More screenshots in the next post

Echo34

Postby Echo34 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:58

Continued from previous post

I actually don't like the uStick Switch behavior and prefer instead to just have a button I can assign in game for the ministick center click. So I removed that function from the Gate Cont center click and chose not to implement it into the Master Mode behavior;
4_Profile - Buttons.png

Finally, I kept the hat behavior for both ministicks. The controller is outputting analog axes all the time, and POV directions when the ministick is moved past the threshold (I think you can dial in that threshold with the value for "DZ", but haven't tried yet).
5_Profile - POVs.png

Thank you again Ron61 for the response. Thanks in large part to you I'm beginning to understand how to use the Config software.

Results;
6_Joy Tester.png

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Jan 04, 2020 17:27

This entire thread is an excellent example of VKBdevcfg use, thanks to both of you. Bookmarked for posterity.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 20:26

You can use various settings for the center button. Just do not forget that in the relative axis mode, it not only switches the mode, but also resets the relative axis to the center.

Return to “Technical Support”